Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Namco going to support all the Next Gen systems?

Old 11-30-01, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Namco going to support all the Next Gen systems?

Being a fighting game freak I need to know will Namco support X-Box and GC. I know they are buddy buddy with Sony, but have they woke up yet and started making games for the other consoles? I'm asking because I am leaning toward buying an X-Box next spring. I can't afford 2 or 3 systems (although it would be fun). Any insider dirt/rumor as to where these Namco games will end up?

Tekken 4
The next Soul Calibur game

All the systems offer (or soon will) good sports & wrestling games which I also enjoy, but Namco fighting games are too good and that's where my cash will go next year. Any ideas?
Old 11-30-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soul Calibur 2 will be coming to all next-gen consoles. Dont know about Tekken 4.
Old 11-30-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I believe that Namco has decided to go Multi-Console, for a few reasons. There was an article in this month's Next Gen about this. They finally have a viable second and third platform with the arrival of the Xbox and GC, and will be producing games for it. Before that, all they really had was Sony that could handle the scope and size of their games because the N64 Sure couldn't and the Saturn was dead (besides the fact that they had their little exclusive deal with sony while the Saturn was actually alive). Their Arcade deal with sony for the System 11 boards and such made it possible for direct conversions, and then when the Dreamcast Rolled around, they had another option, that although short lived, provided a viable platform for their software. There was no way the Playstation was going to be able to handle Soul Calibur, despite the beauty of Soul Blade on that system, so they took it elsewhere and look- it became a system seller (it was my reason of purchasing a DC). Now that there are 3 equally agressive competitors, and all of them are on an (relatively speaking) even playing field, Namco has nothing to lose and everything to gain by going multi-platform. Also, with Sega becoming a Third Party Developer and going multi-platform, they are feeling some heat, although not directly yet. I remember the old days when the PS was the only way you were going to get Tekken, and the Saturn was the only way you'd see Virtua Fighter. And believe me, there are scores of loyal fans of both of them, and plenty of people that owned both systems for each respctive game. Now these guys can own one system and have it all on that system (there's no doubt in my mind that VF4 will work it's way to Xbox after the 6 month Sony Exclisuve on it...).
Old 11-30-01, 06:28 PM

lordzepplin --
Great feedback on this topic.

I'm actually hoping that they do expand their resources across all the new consoles. But, it would cost more money/time for them to make a game that would take advantage of all the technical goodies inside of each system. Therefore, what the consumers get is a game that is pretty much the same across the board on all the systems. For example, look at EA's most recent John Madden game.
Old 11-30-01, 07:29 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

SC2 on Dreamcast?

Is anyone sure that they will release Soul Calibur 2 for Dreamcast as well? I know the DC is dead, but the games live on! I see no reason for them not to release it for DC, but you never know... *crosses fingers*

Just curious...

-BT
Old 12-01-01, 02:42 AM

Re: SC2 on Dreamcast?

Originally posted by BT
Is anyone sure that they will release Soul Calibur 2 for Dreamcast as well?
Never.
Old 12-01-01, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
(there's no doubt in my mind that VF4 will work it's way to Xbox after the 6 month Sony Exclisuve on it...).
I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.

VF series is mostly popular in Japan. In the US, the series sells squat. And since most Japanese polled are absolutely apathetic about the X-Box, the chance of VF4 on the X-Box is rather slim.