Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sales on XBOX vs. Gamecube

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-01, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sales on XBOX vs. Gamecube

Hey, first I want to start by saying I'm not trying to make this a post where XBOX and GC fans war. All I want is the facts. Does anyone know who sold more XBOX or GC?? If it is unavailable to get this info, then what do you think. I think XBOX sold more because they had a lot in stores, and they are pretty hard to find now.
Old 11-26-01, 02:26 PM

You think XBox sold more because it had a lot in stores... right...

Apparently, XBox had 300,000 at launch. Which are supposedly "sold out." Gamecube, apparently, had 700,000 at launch and it took a week to sell all of those.

Beyond launch numbers, nothing really been announced.
Old 11-26-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Early estimates seem to suggest that the GameCube sold more. However, It's still anybody's game, especially since Christmas is arriving, and the X-Box may eventually edge ahead due to Microsoft's constant advertisement.
Old 11-26-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Both companies claim that their initial shipments are sold out. MS claims to have shipped 300,00 X-Boxes. Nintendo claims to have shipped 700,000 Gamecubes.

In a related note, Nintendo upped their estimates of units to be shipped before Christmas. Originally they planned to have 1.1 million shipped by Christmas. Now they are planning on 1.3 million. I haven't heard revised estimates from MS yet.
Old 11-26-01, 02:38 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well obviously the Gamecube has sold significantly more units as Nintendo has significantly more units available to sell. I expect the GC will continue to be in higher demand than the X-box for the near future. Nintendo has name recognition and a loyal fan base, Microsoft is a new comer and they will have to win over a fan base, just like sony did several years ago. The PSX didn't exactly sell like hot cakes right from the start. It really wasn't until FFVII came out that they took over the top spot. For the X-box to out sell the GC it will take an exclusive game the calibur of FFVII. I don't think either system has much of a chance of outselling the PS2. They simply have to large of a loyal user base. The Resident Evil series will be a help for the GC, but I figure the games will eventually end up on the PS2.
Old 11-26-01, 02:54 PM

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
At launch I beleive that they sold about the same number of systems. The Xbox was harder to find because they shipped fewer units than did the Gamecube.

I'm going to give the Gamecube a slight edge for this past weekend(the big Holiday shopping weekend) for simple reason that they have more units available to buy.

I think, though it will even out in the end. It's next year that will begin to tell which consoles will be a true success.
Old 11-26-01, 02:57 PM

There's actually a thread on this already here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=160241

"A Goldman Sachs survey of U.S. retailers found that 73 percent had already sold out of Microsoft's Xbox and that 47 percent were sold out of Nintendo's GameCube, less than a week after the two systems were released. "

Which give the edge, in sheer numbers of units sold, to Nintendo.
Old 11-26-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not sure these numbers mean anything at all.

We do not know if the units available is a factual number, we do not know if this includes pre-orders, we do not know if this is sales to retailers or to customers, we do not know what the return percentage is if any . . . . .

The only numbers that would be meaningful would be those from Nintendo and Microsoft and if they have sold enough boxes to meet their sales projections.
Old 11-26-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
After Black Friday both systems are gone off of store shelves. What is worse is the Gamecube accessories are very hard to find. I checked four stores yesterday and they were all sold out of controllers and memory cards (they all had xbox accessories though). I want an extra controller for Tony Hawk 3, but at least for now I'm SOL.

Both systems had a great launch, but right now the Cube has the edge. When Smash Brothers is released on the 3rd, things will be even better for Nintendo.
Old 11-26-01, 03:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mattalos
[B]You think XBox sold more because it had a lot in stores... right...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redsox5048
[B]I think XBOX sold more because they had a lot in stores, and they are pretty hard to find now.

Remember to read the FULL sentence before you respond!?!?
Old 11-27-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a reason why they don't just flood the market with XBOX units? It's not like they won't sell. How many can they crank out in a given week?
Old 12-01-01, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 969 Likes on 676 Posts
[i]The Resident Evil series will be a help for the GC, but I figure the games will eventually end up on the PS2. [/B]
Actually the RE series is now a GCN exclusive with the official sequal coming out on the GCN only.
Old 12-01-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by tanman

Actually the RE series is now a GCN exclusive with the official sequal coming out on the GCN only.
First of all - that won't last long. Don't expect it to stay an exclusive title for long... If you were Capcom, would you sully a longstanding relationship with Sony and throw away heaps and heaps of money in revinue over multiple consoles? For what? There was a thread about this awhile back and an article about how the RE designers decided to make it an exclusive beause they didn't want to be limited by the constraints of the hardware... it was total marketing propaganda and if for some reason they don't port it over to the PS2, I would guess it would end up on the X-box. Then again, this may end up an exclusive to GC - there are a few games that remain exclusive from 3rd party developers - but Nintendo would've had to cough up some huge dough to get such a license for one of the biggest selling franchises in console gaming.

Anyway - back to this topic... Here's an article from the 28th about sales figures on consolewire"
Nintendo today stated that the GameCube is quickly outpacing the Xbox in sales. The company states that during its first week of availability in North America, over 500,000 GameCubes have been sold. Joining the cube's brisk sales are copies of Luigi's Mansion, which the company claims is the most popular console launch game even surpassing Mario 64's popularity during the Nintendo 64’s launch.
In terms of the competition, analysts state that the Xbox launched with far fewer units than its 600,000 to 800,000 goal. It is estimated that the as few as 300,000 units were available at launch. Microsoft has not released official sales figures as of yet, however early research indicates that the Xbox is also selling well with demand outstripping supply in many regions.

Nintendo maintains that for the price of rival hardware alone, consumers are buying a GameCube and two games namely Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader. Peter Main, executive vice president for sales and marketing, Nintendo of America, states, "To have outpaced any other video game console launch ever would be notable in its own right. But to accomplish this under the current economic conditions is truly remarkable. There is a seemingly endless appetite for high quality, stay-at-home entertainment at an affordable price -- which is a perfect definition of Nintendo GameCube."

Despite strong sales, the console is not quite a sell-out. Nintendo states that of the 740,000 North American game units, 100,000 went to Canada and Latin America while 75,000 went to U.S. rental chains (i.e. Blockbuster). That leaves 65,000 unsold (perhaps not as of now) with the first weekly shipment of 125,000 already hitting store shelves.
Old 12-01-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JaxComet
Is there a reason why they don't just flood the market with XBOX units? It's not like they won't sell. How many can they crank out in a given week?
There was a really good article in Wired magazine a month or two ago about the manufacturing process used to make XBoxes (all made in Mexico) - apparently they can crank out a good number each week, but not enough to satisfy the demand...

P.S. - I think other than gamecube having the name recognition and loyal fan base (myself included), the cheaper price by $100 is a huge factor. The XBox costs 50% more than GC - if parents want to buy a new system for their kids who don't care which one they get, the obvious choice is GC - price + name + kids games = success.
Old 12-01-01, 02:44 AM

Remember to read the FULL sentence before you respond!?!?
Are you asking me a question?

No, I did read all you wrote, and I just happened to re-write a part of it. I backed what I said with facts, but your "they are pretty hard to find now" really got your point across.

All in good fun, folks. Move along.
Old 12-01-01, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well - Microsoft hasn't released any sales figures and the only info we have is that they rolled out with 300,000 units at launch. It's been out for a few weeks now so we have no idea how many have been released at this point and we don't know how many have sold either. Here's another article about this from Nov 23rd:

DESPITE an uncertain economy, both Nintendo USA and its "upstart" video game rival and neighbour, Microsoft, report nearly selling out initial US shipments of their new gaming consoles, the GameCube and Xbox.

"We've been surprised at how well they've been selling," said analyst Brendan Barnicle of Pacific Crest Securities in Seattle. "We have had some scepticism, given the macro economy, but they both appear to be off to a very strong start."
Nintendo expected to be completely sold out of its initial shipment of 700,000 GameCube consoles by today, said George Harrison, senior vice president for marketing at Nintendo USA, headquartered, as is Microsoft, in Redmond.

It has added 200,000 consoles to the 1.1 million it planned to ship to US stores for the holiday season.

Microsoft reported that its initial Xbox shipments, believed by analysts to be around 300,000 consoles, was selling out at retailers nationwide.

Microsoft won't release specific sales or shipment figures, but the company expects to ship about 1.5 million Xbox consoles to retailers for the holiday season, according to John O'Rourke, director of Xbox sales and marketing.

Xbox is Microsoft's first foray into gaming hardware. Game offerings such as the intergalactic first-person shooter Halo are targeted at men ages 18-30. Other titles include Amped, a snowboarding game and Fusion Frenzy are in stores. The company expects to have as many as 30 titles available by Christmas.

Nintendo, whose notable characters include the tubby, mustachioed plumber Mario, has long been dominant in video games, especially among young children. But GameCube games also are tailored to the young male.

Both companies boasted that early sales of consoles and games topped the $US93.5 million ($180.96 million) opening-weekend gross of the film Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

"The sales of Xbox are definitely blowing away our expectations," Mr O'Rourke said, adding that a number of retailers already had received multiple shipments.

Mr Barnicle said the success of the two new consoles could explain why personal computer sales have been relatively sluggish, and why Microsoft's new Windows XP operating system has not sold more briskly.

"They have a lot of competition for the consumer dollar this Christmas," he said. "Clearly the game consoles are still able to maintain their share."

At $US199, GameCube also sells for about $US100 less than Xbox and Sony's Playstation2, which was released last year and has sold about 20 million consoles.

P.J. McNealy, senior analyst at Gartner G2 in San Jose, California, said the strong early sales of both consoles were a good sign, but their success will be measured in the longer term.

"They met the short-term goal, which is create enough games in a minimal amount of genres for the hard-core gamers to jump on board. The challenge is to expand those demographics in 2002 and 2003 with broader-based games. That's a two-year or three-year challenge that not only Nintendo and Microsoft have, but also Sony."

The Associated Press