Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking About Starting A Gaming Website...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about starting a gaming website. Yes, I know, there are already major gaming websites out there, but how many of them actually consist of "flava?" Not many of them. IGN is starting to charge for EVERYTHING now it seems, and Gamespot seems to be getting weaker and weaker by the day. So I was thinking about starting my own site with intelligent and honest reviews of the new systems, their games, controllers, etc.

Of course, if I decide to do such a thing, I'll need more intelligent and honest people to work with. This is all non-profit, and I'm hoping to find a few people who love writing AND gaming, without being a system fanatic. I don't want people who will be bashing one system over the other, because that instantly takes away the credibility that I hope to achieve.

Well, let me know if anyone's interested. All I know is that I'm growing tired of websites like IGN.....
Old 11-20-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny, my friend and I are starting a gaming site too. good luck
Old 11-20-01, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to write for you gaming site. I think it would be a bunch of fun! I like all systems, because I think they all have something to offer. I am a huge wrestling game fan, and I like to play them all, so I got to have the systems!
Old 11-20-01, 08:10 PM

Well, I write and am good with graphics and such...just drop me an email.
Old 11-20-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
How about:

http://www.videogametalk.com/

Old 11-20-01, 09:56 PM
Banned

troy - NIce try, but DVDTalk already owns it

mljones99 - Perhaps we could join our efforts? What's your site all about? Any unique slant that you're taking on?

Lordzeppelin and viscera - I will drop you an email
Old 11-20-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would be up for it, if you actually get it off the ground. Anything to get into E3 for free.
Old 11-20-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a cube.... and like games.... I help out....
Old 11-20-01, 10:09 PM
Registered

I think troystiffler was saying. Why not band together and make Videogametalk happen
Old 11-20-01, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Seagraves
troy - NIce try, but DVDTalk already owns it

mljones99 - Perhaps we could join our efforts? What's your site all about? Any unique slant that you're taking on?

Lordzeppelin and viscera - I will drop you an email

no particular slant. just an idea that a friend of mine and I came up with. basically cover everything. I'm more of a console person and he is a PC person so basically he would run the PC section including games and hardware and I would run the console part. but it still a collaborative project since we both enjoy both kinds of gaming.
Old 11-20-01, 10:46 PM

BTW, I would be all for helping startup videogametalk.com
Old 11-20-01, 10:54 PM
Banned

I also am up for helping form Video Game Talk.

That'd be nice.

The last webpage I ran was when I was in 10th grade, an on-line magazine, and it was great. Unfortunatley I got too busy with school work and my writers went off to college, so the site was left alone.

But writing is my passion in life, I'd be proud to be a prime contributer to the videogame talk website.

I have a bit of webpage design skill, but not enough to warrant laying out a major webpage. I'm sure there are other DVDtalkers out there who can make 10,000 times better webpages than I can.

Where my expertise comes in, however, is in 2 areas:

1) Writing - I think of myself as a rather talented writer, with a superb ability of getting my point acrossed. However, if I get into the "opinion" type writing style, I tend to get a little emotional, which could be good - could be bad.

2) Marketing - This is my major in college. I could market the website profoundly, and get a whole slew of visitors to the site, and KEEP them there, in a matter of days. I've actually done this a bit with DVDTalk, for no real "benefit" other than ot get more people on THE best DVD site on the planet.

I'm all for it, but how exactly would it get off the ground, with Geoff having the rights and domain?

Hmm??
Old 11-20-01, 11:02 PM
Retired

I'd be more than willing to contribute to www.videogametalk.com if you can make it happen Geoff.

I'm a senior Journalism major and recently started working for the local paper The Dominion Post so I know what I'm doing.

I'm pretty busy so I wouldn't be able to contribute a ton, but I'd be willing to write something here and there.
Old 11-20-01, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Seagraves
I also am up for helping form Video Game Talk.

That'd be nice.

The last webpage I ran was when I was in 10th grade, an on-line magazine, and it was great. Unfortunatley I got too busy with school work and my writers went off to college, so the site was left alone.

But writing is my passion in life, I'd be proud to be a prime contributer to the videogame talk website.

I have a bit of webpage design skill, but not enough to warrant laying out a major webpage. I'm sure there are other DVDtalkers out there who can make 10,000 times better webpages than I can.

Where my expertise comes in, however, is in 2 areas:

1) Writing - I think of myself as a rather talented writer, with a superb ability of getting my point acrossed. However, if I get into the "opinion" type writing style, I tend to get a little emotional, which could be good - could be bad.

2) Marketing - This is my major in college. I could market the website profoundly, and get a whole slew of visitors to the site, and KEEP them there, in a matter of days. I've actually done this a bit with DVDTalk, for no real "benefit" other than ot get more people on THE best DVD site on the planet.

I'm all for it, but how exactly would it get off the ground, with Geoff having the rights and domain?

Hmm??

same here. i have dabbled in html and know enough to make a decent site but nothing as professional as for example as dvdtalk or ign or gamespot. i mainly just come up with a basic template and work from there. nothing fancy, flashy or etc..

i too am more of a writer. i've been told i am talented but i guess I just don't see it or don't think its anything special.

and, I too am I marketing major... but i have changed majors so many times I am just now getting started on it so i would leave that to you

but seriously, what would it take to start up videogametalk.com? i know there would be some legalaities being its geoff's domain and such....and no telling what else to get it going.
Old 11-20-01, 11:14 PM

I'd help a little, drop me an email.
Old 11-21-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently running a site, and to be honest, it's a lot of fun, but a lot of work as well.

If we could make VGT a reality, I'm sure I'd quit my current site, and bring all my experience and contacts with me.

But Seagreaves, I've got a few email addresses you could probably use to get started. Just company contact information.

Old 11-21-01, 02:19 AM

How funny. I was just thinking about this the other day as well.

I'm a "Industry Insider" who was recently laid off from a major publisher where i was a marketing manager. Since i've got a bunch of free time on my hands now i was thinking about starting a site. I'd love to help this get started. I've got an extensive background in the video game industry and a ton of industry contacts.

Here is the basic idea behind the site i wanted to do:

Think of it as a consumer reports for gaming. The problem I see with the majority of gaming sites out there is that they never do real comparisons of similar games.

Example:
You're a PS2 owner who wants to get a football game. You have several choices, but have no idea which one is best. Sure you can go to IGN and read seperate reviews by seperate people, but it won't give you the side by side comparison that you need to make a choice.

The site could compare console hardware, computer video cards, games from the same genre, even the same game, but on different platforms.

So what do you guys think? I'm willing to discuss this idea or any other with anyone who is serious about starting a site. Just drop me an email.

-=cysco
Old 11-21-01, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Cysco
How funny. I was just thinking about this the other day as well.

I'm a "Industry Insider" who was recently laid off from a major publisher where i was a marketing manager. Since i've got a bunch of free time on my hands now i was thinking about starting a site. I'd love to help this get started. I've got an extensive background in the video game industry and a ton of industry contacts.

Here is the basic idea behind the site i wanted to do:

Think of it as a consumer reports for gaming. The problem I see with the majority of gaming sites out there is that they never do real comparisons of similar games.

Example:
You're a PS2 owner who wants to get a football game. You have several choices, but have no idea which one is best. Sure you can go to IGN and read seperate reviews by seperate people, but it won't give you the side by side comparison that you need to make a choice.

The site could compare console hardware, computer video cards, games from the same genre, even the same game, but on different platforms.

So what do you guys think? I'm willing to discuss this idea or any other with anyone who is serious about starting a site. Just drop me an email.

-=cysco
I like this idea. What I'd like to see in a gaming site are reviews from people who are fans of a certain genre. Sports Game fans should review sports games, FPS fans can review FPS games, RPG fans review RPG games... you get the idea. The same game would be reviewed by someone who isn't a fan of the genre as well, so you'd get 2 points of view. This would be a bigger help to me as a consumer than the review of someone who just picks up a game for the first time.

I'd be interested in helping as well. I have a lot of free time on my hands as I was laid off yesterday. :/

I've been reviewing video games for various magazines/websites since 1988. My work has appeared in New Expression, GameOn!USA, and webzines ActionZine.com, AtAnime.com, and Seganet. I tend to focus on sports games and the import games. My duties at my former place of employment forced me into semi-retirement, but now that I'm free, I'd love to start writing again. I also have experience as an editor.

I think we could turn videogametalk.com into a reality. Perhaps Geoff, or someone he dedicates as his agent, could gather all of the e-mails of the folks who are interested in helping and set up a ML.

I'm excited.
Old 11-21-01, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Wow, lots of people getting laid off. A couple of my friends are in the same boat. I feel for you guys.

Thought I would toss in my two cents as well, as I would be willing to write reviews and help out where needed. I have a journalism degree, and would love to help out if anything gets going.
Old 11-21-01, 08:02 AM

I can help out with editing if needed. I've done work on some old n64 sites back in its hay-day.

I have a CG now.
Old 11-21-01, 09:08 AM

They call some houses "money pits". They call sailboats "a hole in the water into which you pour money". In auto-racing, they say that horsepwer = money.

Web sites are animals of the same breed, only worse. I'm convinced that ALL web sites are non-profit. If not all, at least 99%. I currently work on about 15 active sites for various clients, and the one with most success is the oldest in a niche market. And that site doesn't even pay its own freight. I wish you fellas the best of luck and the deepest of checkbooks. Oh, and lots of time to volunteer.
Old 11-21-01, 01:10 PM

i gotta jet to work right now but I want to be in on Video Game talk.... someone shoot me an email if anything transpires of this.
Old 11-21-01, 01:30 PM

Can I be editor of the Sega Saturn section?!? LOL

Seriously though, I'm up for anything, whether it is as just a mod or something to a forum, or whether it actually is writing reviews or just being a charter member.

I went to school for marketing (more emphasis on PR/Advertising/Sales than research end), been working in a technical writing group, written for websites and such. I know HTML to an extent, but not enough to do hard code by any means. Anyway, if it is a DVDTalk family site, I would assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that there would be some sort of template available since it would be a member of the DVD Talk family and all.

The only problem that you run into with a gaming site is making sure that you do not become known for favoritism towards a particular system. That is something that DVDTalk doesn't really run into now because a DVD is a DVD no matter what it's played on.

Whether involved or not, I would be happy to see it take shape.
Old 11-21-01, 01:45 PM

Hey, mmmeadows! I've just read several of your posts. I'm headed home RIGHT NOW, and you'd better not be in my girlfriend's bedroom when I get there!

Oh, sorry for going off-topic, I thought it only fair to warn him.
Old 11-21-01, 02:08 PM

Just like Shaggy, "it wasn't me." LOL

Back on topic...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.