Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking About Starting A Gaming Website...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Thinking About Starting A Gaming Website...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 11:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darknight is right about it taking committment. In my opinion the way to go about this is to make sure you have 3 or 4 people who are willing to edit, write, and update the site on a daily basis (not all of them have to do it on a daily basis, just as long as the work gets done by some of them each day). After this get a staff of several writers who contribute at least 1 article a week. The more the better, but as long as they are contributing they are helping the site. It's not like you're paying them or anything. This way you have a decent sized group of volunteer writers and you aren't screwed when some of them quit, or you have to fire some of them because they suck.

As I said above, I'm pretty busy and certainly couldn't be one of the 3 or 4 major contributors I spoke of above. However I know what I'm doing as I am a senior journalism major and I work for my local paper, and I would be more than willing to commit myself to writing as much for the site as I have time for. I would love to get a job in the gaming press eventually and this would be a great way to get my foot in the door and get some good experience for a resume. In otherwords I'd have some insentive to stay committed to the site as much as my schedule allows, as my studies and my paying job have to come first.
Old 11-28-01, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be willing to be a major contributer. I don't know if I could crank out a review a day or something like that, but I think I could contribute something at least 2-3 times a week. Some weeks I could do more, some I could do less. Like for instance, currently I work in retail and with the Xmas season here I'll be working longer hours (thank god for overtime pay!!!) and wouldn't be able to contribute as much as I could once the season is over. But I am willing to do as much as I can.
Old 11-28-01, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

btw, whats the update on the chat? is someone going to organize it and send out chat invites on AIM or AOL? I'll be home from work and online by like 6:30-6:45 CST

my screen name is mljones99
Old 11-28-01, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by mljones99
btw, whats the update on the chat? is someone going to organize it and send out chat invites on AIM or AOL? I'll be home from work and online by like 6:30-6:45 CST

my screen name is mljones99
I will organize the chat and send out the invites. I want to start corralling folks at about 6:45. Look for stromvogel on AIM. I'll also post the name of the chat room here on the forum.

There are several things we need to discuss:

1) Organization - Who'll do what? What will videogame talk do to distinguish itself from other online magazines?
2) Scope - How big do we want to ger?
3) Tentative Timeline - When do we want to get things done?

Is there anything else?
Old 11-28-01, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just wanted to chime ine and say that I'd love to help out in some way. I probably don't have the time commitment to write the reviews, but I'd be available to edit any documents that are posted. Also, I'm sure there will be several smaller duties that may "fall in the cracks", I'd be willing to take on some of those duties as well if needed.
Old 11-28-01, 09:10 AM
Banned

Just for the record, my AOL screen name is "Finshee."

So be on the lookout for me tonight. I may, however, have to run my girlfriend somewhere tonight, and if I do, I won't be available for the chat, but you guys had BETTER count me in!

Chances are that I'll be there, but I can't make any gurantees.

But like I said, mark me down for the issues I've already said I can handle if you could please

Hoping to be there tonight...

Jim
Old 11-28-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unforutunately I will not be home tonight, but in my email I discussed a little what I would like to do, and I will check in late tonight/early morning to find out what happened. I hope this all comes together.
Old 11-28-01, 11:59 AM
Retired

I just downloaded and installed AIM and my screen name is jhinkle1114.

The chat is a 7 p.m. CST (8 p.m. EST) correct?

I'll try to make it, if not just remember that I said that I can write on a limited basis, probably 1-3 things a week, sometime more sometimes less depending on my schedule. I currently have a Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, Dreamcast, Playstation and Nintendo 64. However the latter two aren't hooked up at the moment, and I'm debating on selling them and my Dreamcast so I'll probably have to focus on Gamecube and Gameboy Advance. I don't think we should really focus much on the dead systems anyway, with the exception of the DC as it will still have some new games coming out until next spring.

Some quick suggestions incase I miss the chat:

Get a few really committed people so that you have at least 2 people editing and updating the site daily, and then get several writers who contribute fairly often, average at least one article a week or so, that way you don't get screwed if some of them quit.

I think we should start of basically trying to do something like a mulit-system version of www.planetgamecube.com. By this I mean, writing lots of reviews, impressions, codes, etc. and basically pointing people to news articles on other sites until we get some connections and can get some scopes on our own. Impressions, reviews, previews, etc. should probably always be our focus as we'll never be able to compete with the big news sites as far as getting breaking news goes.

As for the forum, assuming we have one, I'd make one for the Gamecube, X-Box, PS2, GBA, Dreamcast, and Classic gaming.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be at the chat tonight, if not keep those ideas in mind and post and update here for anyone who missed the chat.
Old 11-28-01, 12:14 PM
Banned

I think that one area we could heavily push would be that of classic gaming. There are FEW websites out there with a lot of information on classic video games. Obviously we'll have as much information on all the new systems as possible, but imagine how great it would be to have entire "mini-sites" devoted to all of your favorite games of yesteryear!

Does anyone know how to get GOOD screen shots off of Nintendo games? Cuz I've got a ton of good ideas for the classic gaming section.

But that's not priority 1.

Priority 1 has to be the new video games that come out. I think that gamefaqs has done a bad thing by putting a forum up for every videogame in their database, but I do like the idea of people being able to easily read what others have said about a certain game.

So what am I implying? Reader reviews, of course. I think that any review that a reader posts in a forum should be transferred to that specific games page afterwards.

This way we can get even more reviews for the games, and MORE people's opinions out on the market.

Just a thought.
Old 11-28-01, 12:21 PM
Arse Member

Are we focusing only on console games, or will PC games be included?

Peter - who will definitely not be able to attend the chat, but is looking forwawrd to working on this site.
Old 11-28-01, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by dulli
Are we focusing only on console games, or will PC games be included?

Peter - who will definitely not be able to attend the chat, but is looking forwawrd to working on this site.
We definiely have to do PC gaming. PC Gaming is huge.. even though I don't play it.

It sounds like everyone has some great ideas. I like the old-school game reviews. As those of us who grew up with Atari, NES, Genesis, and the like get older, it'll be interesting to see how the old games stand the test of time.

Besides, a good game is a good game, right?

I'd also like to see opinion pieces. Too many times, an opinion piece is couched as a review. That's not to say that reviewers shouldn't have a strong voice in their pieces... just that there are too many writers who are trying to be comedians in stead of reviewers.

I really like the idea of multiple reviews and having head-to-head of multiple platform games.

I'd really like to see VGTalk to be the "Consumer Reports" of video gaming. Well written reviews, intelligent features, and organized information.

See you all at 6:45.
Old 11-28-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PC gaming would spread resources too thin. That's an expansion thing.
Old 11-28-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
PC gaming would spread resources too thin. That's an expansion thing.
I agree. PC gaming may be "huge", but video gaming is bigger.
Old 11-28-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is my first post into this thread. I'd be willing to help in any way I could. Reviews, editing, previews, etc. I'll do whatever. I own a lot of systems. I won't run them down here, but basically the only ones I don't have since the NES is the Master System, Sega 32x, 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn, X-Box (maybe will buy) and GameCube (will buy at some point). I also own an Atari 2600 and 7800.

I don't think we should close out PC gaming. I agree that video games are bigger than PC games, but I think we should have it to bring in the non-video game players.

I will try to be on the chat tonight, I'm confused about what time it is though. My nick is AgtFox25.
Old 11-28-01, 04:46 PM
Registered

Closing this thread. I'd like to use this new thread as a start to get things moving v. a chat:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=162235