Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ps2 - disc read error

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ps2 - disc read error

anyone have this problem sometimes? the ps2 doesn't read games/dvd's; is it coz my laser lens is dirty? it happens a couple of times and is getting more frequent. any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Your drive is going out. This is a very common problem with some of the early PS2 units and maybe is still common. I originally bought a PS2 at launch and the drive motor went out a month later, I then exchanged it but the second unit had a DVD problem and I had to exchange it again. I had the third unit a month longer and sold it on EBay. I have yet to rebuy a PS2.

I know of two other people that had their DVD Drives go out within 6 to 9 months of owning the PS2. This really sucked because the warranties are only 90 days.

When they got new PS2 units we took a look inside and were surprised at the changes in the new units. The PS2s made now are very different inside from the older models. Sony is using a different DVD Drive now and has done a great job of adding big heat sinks to keep the boards cooler.

I wish I could tell you what they did to get the broken PS2 units replaced for free, but its illegal.
Old 11-03-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully, it is just a dirty lens.....but the other problem it may be is your system itself which may require service. If cleaning your lens does not help...call Sony and ask for a place where you live to take your system for servicing. There is a place here in Cincinnat called Alamo electronics who has an individual that can work on the PS2 systems. Maybe call an authorized Sony dealer in your area...they may have someone on staff who is able to take a look at your system if your system is out of warranty. If not out of warranty...contact Sony.
Old 11-03-01, 05:18 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

this happened with my friends, it still fell under sony's 90 day warranty and he simply shipped it too them and they repaired it.
Old 11-04-01, 01:17 AM

Sucks. I got my PS2 on launch and have had it over a year now -- never had one problem with it.

Good times.
Old 11-04-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Your drive is going out. This is a very common problem with some of the early PS2 units and maybe is still common. I originally bought a PS2 at launch and the drive motor went out a month later, I then exchanged it but the second unit had a DVD problem and I had to exchange it again. I had the third unit a month longer and sold it on EBay. I have yet to rebuy a PS2.

I know of two other people that had their DVD Drives go out within 6 to 9 months of owning the PS2. This really sucked because the warranties are only 90 days.

When they got new PS2 units we took a look inside and were surprised at the changes in the new units. The PS2s made now are very different inside from the older models. Sony is using a different DVD Drive now and has done a great job of adding big heat sinks to keep the boards cooler.

I wish I could tell you what they did to get the broken PS2 units replaced for free, but its illegal.
I'll guess... you probably went and bought a new system and returned the old (broken) one in the new box, right? AKA Wal-Mart warranty!