Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Everquest sad story... If you play EQ, read this!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Everquest sad story... If you play EQ, read this!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought any Everquest player might want to hear a horror story of mine:

To explain: I'm a new EQ player of about 2-3 weeks. I have one character on Solusek Ro, a level 12 Half-Elf Ranger. I've spent 99% of my 3 weeks playing in Qeynos area. After saving up pretty much every penny I could, someone recommended to me on Friday night to take my 100pp or so and go to Faydwer and buy a magic weapon (I had been using a Bronze 1HB mace up to this point. So I *WALKED* (well, I ran) 95% of the way to Faydwer, using track to avoid mobs. All the while, I was bound to Qeynos. I finally arrived in Faydwer and after awhile, found a weapon I could afford from a real cool guy: a Blackened Alloy Bastard Sword, Dmg 24, Dly 39. +3 vs Poison. The guy who sold it to me was *VERY* nice and made me a great deal (since these can sell for between 500-1000). And, he included in the price a trip back to North Karanas.

So the next night, a different friend made me a magic backpack of 100% weight reduction because I was WAY encumbered. So I put a few things in it and went on my way. 30 minutes later (not thinking) I camped and went to bed. I awoke in the middle of the night, thinking "Oh my gosh! I hope that the backpack contents don't just disappear!" They do, including (you guessed it), my <snif> sword.

The two things that really *STINK* about this are, I saved and saved and saved, then RAN 90% of the the way (teleported from Freeport to just outside Fay) and spent a whole evening finding this place and printing maps, etc. The second thing that really stinks is: The sword is *ULTRA* light. I didn't even need to put it in the backpack. Plus, I couldn't find anyone to bind me, so I was bound to Qeynos the whole time, afraid to even take on mobs that conned green, as if I were to die (which I did, twice on the way there), I would have to start ALL the way back in Qeynos.

Anyway, thought someone playing EQ might want to hear a sad story. Now accepting donations so I can start over again! If anyone wants to give me a great deal on a new weapon, I could give you a great deal on a DVD!
Old 06-25-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh, I hate games where you can lose things so easily. Glad I stayed away from EQ and waited for Hero's Journey to try out the graphical RPGs. Though it's going to have to be pretty damn good to replace text based RPGs.

~Scheherazade, making her way back to text-based Ancient Greece.
Old 06-26-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Potential for loss is great in EQ

I played this game for the first few months it was out.
THe amount of time required to excel in this game is ridiculous that compared with how easy it is to lose all of your stuff makes this one tense gaming experience that coupled with the monthly fee made me sell my copy to someone in Canada before they releaesd the expansion pack.
I have not looked back in regret as many of my friends have countless EQ loss tales.
Old 06-26-01, 11:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I don't get about the game is the hundreds to thousands of dollars people pay for items and characters on ebay.

I have seen items go for $500 and up. Characters taht are really high level seem to go for around a grand.

Its a game...Aren't there better things spend money on?

Old 06-26-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually considering gettin this game....(just really got a PC a few months ago), and I was sort of looking around for what people think of this game.

Just too much time involved for me.
Old 06-26-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'd think the more you play and the higher level you are, you'd remember aspects of the game such as summoned pouches disappearing on log out.

On of my guildmates two weeks ago, a 57 cleric, while in Hate camped out (we camped out to clear aggro from something) and her summoned bag went poof....with her Jboots, her Sebilis Key, Howling Stones Key, Cobalt Scar Tooth, and a few other items.

Luckily the GM was nice enough to replace them, but generally they won't.

Old 06-26-01, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a life don't get EverQuest my wife hated that game. There is no pause button and it takes up all of your time.
Old 06-26-01, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My brother in law is near divorce because of this stupid game. His wife plays till 2 in the morning and then has trouble getting up for work and has no time in the evenings for anything else. If you want to have a party and invite them you have to schedule it around her stupid game. When the game plays you instead of the other way around I think there is a big problem.
Old 06-26-01, 02:15 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Hehe.. the game is nicknamed EverCrack for a reason.. from the people that play it, they say its more addicting then anything they have ever encountered.
Old 06-26-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i never played EQ because I know I won't be able to stop. My wife was ready to kill me over PSO, and Diablo 2, so I've pretty much given up on online games.
Old 06-26-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
On of my guildmates two weeks ago, a 57 cleric, while in Hate camped out (we camped out to clear aggro from something) and her summoned bag went poof....with her Jboots, her Sebilis Key, Howling Stones Key, Cobalt Scar Tooth, and a few other items.

Luckily the GM was nice enough to replace them, but generally they won't.

The GM's are all idiots anyways. I had lost my corpse in a very high risk area and had no chance in hell of ever getting it back (learnt that after I had died, I didn't know anything about the area, I thought it was level 15-30 but was 45-60) so I had asked a GM for help since I was boned, but they said no, that it was my problem and to ask players for help. Well, I did that a few nights and the players didn't even want to help me since it basically took a high level raid in a non expansion area where you basically don't find many people so I went back to the GM and they still didn't want to help me. Was pretty pathetic really, I quit since I didn't have another 2 months to waste to get to my level and even then, the GM's said that I wouldn't dare quitting and wouldn't help me. At that point I decided I really didn't want anything to do with Verant and any of their products. So to anyone considering a MMORPG and you have a good pc, I suggest Anarchy Online which is coming out tommorow and seems to be a hell of a lot better than EQ.
Old 06-26-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forget the graphics and go with text. Think books compared to movies... it's hard to find one that isn't better if you take the time and effort to read the words.

I played Gemstone, a Simutronics game, for nearly 5 years... back since its days on AOL. They moved to the web and not much later another game came out and I have been devoted to it ever since.

It's based on the shows Hercules and Xena, but is oh so much more than that. It's a true ancient Greek RPing experience, and it sure is nice to get away from the Wizards and Sorcerers things most other games tend to do.

Don't be scared that it's based on these shows... it has little effect on gameplay whether you're a fan or outright hate them. The staff is curteous, the community is small and friendly, and there's no PVP except in certain areas so you're safe from people trying to steal your stuff. And there's really not many ways at all for the system to cause you to lose your stuff either.

The best part though is the humor and campiness throughout the game and all the GM interaction. Since we're such a small community, the GMs are able to get YOU involved in events. No more watching from the sidelines, you'll actually be right in the thick of things.

Check it out at http://www.play.net/simunet_public/hx/hxhome.asp if you're interested. Or you can even find it at http://www.zone.com for a free 30 day membership with no need of a credit card.

Check out my site at http://www.ancient-muse.com if you decide to play. People have told me it's helpful and I always find I'm more liable to stick with a game I'm not completely lost in for the first 5 hours.

~Scheherazade, my shameless plug of the month.
Old 06-27-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Modfather,

I play on the Solusek Ro server as well. For a fellow DVD talker I'm willing to help

So, leave your character name here and I'll contact you in game

Old 06-27-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mongo, YGM. But just in case, my name in EQ is Paerien. I'm usually wandering in the BB, WK, Everfrost areas...

Thanks!
modfather/Paerien

Originally posted by Mongo
Modfather,

I play on the Solusek Ro server as well. For a fellow DVD talker I'm willing to help

Old 06-27-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mongo, what's your character name(s) on Solusek Ro?

Anyone else on Solusek Ro? Just curious.

Paerien

Modfather,

Old 06-28-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not that it really matters now since I've already spoken with you in game, but I just updated my email address in my profile

That mail you sent will probably bounce back, or possibly just sit in an unused, inaccesible mailbox forever...

Old 06-29-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<--Druzzil Ro here, 60 Rogue is my main (have about 5 other chars too heh)

Old 06-29-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by modfather
Mongo, what's your character name(s) on Solusek Ro?

Anyone else on Solusek Ro? Just curious.

Paerien

Modfather,

I just started on solusek ro. I'm only lv 3, but my character name is Jagar, I play a paladin. Say hey if you see me, I need help badly. If you play PSO, I'd be able to give you almost any rare stuff you want if you'd give me a little help.
Old 07-01-01, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Solusek Ro somehow become the DVDtalk server?

Hmm, equipment for a paladin, should be doable pretty easily.

Just to warn you guys, I'm not much for obscene twinking, but I can get you set up in some decent gear that would be good through level 20-30 or so.
Old 07-01-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did Solusek Ro somehow become the DVDtalk server?

Hmm, equipment for a paladin, should be doable pretty easily.

Just to warn you guys, I'm not much for obscene twinking, but I can get you set up in some decent gear that would be good through level 20-30 or so.
AWESOME! i really need help since i'm lv 7 now and haven't quite covered myself with cloth yet. now i'm just a half naked guy with a 2 handed axe. i usually play at night EST, and always in the east commonlands. (80% of my time is spent looking for my body) hope to see you around!