Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Man, Castlevania is HARD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never been a game player but I got a GBA and Castlevania. Man I get stomped by the frist boss every time. I am getting better but I have to start over eveytime and watch all the startup junk. Plus the game is so dark it is hard to play if the light is not perfect.

I might have to trade this. What other game would be good for learning? Rayman?
Old 06-26-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon is probably not the best game to be entering the video game market with. It is a semi-difficult game. I think a racing game (like F-Zero) or even Mario (Super Mario Bros. Advance) would be a good step for a beginner. However, do NOT get rid of Castlevania, it really is a great game.
Old 06-26-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I am with you as well. The first boss is getting me every time. Oh well.
Old 06-26-01, 12:36 PM
Retired

I've made it through three bosses without too much difficulty, though the area I'm currently in is much tougher than the previous ones. Rayman is pretty difficult too, so I wouldn't go for that if you're not wanting a challenge. Maybe F-Zero (though it gets hard on the harder difficulty) or Mario Advance.
Old 06-26-01, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

here is the tip I found. Wait for the little spark to start then jump and whip him. If you hit eveything on the way down to him you will have two card which give you fire whip. But still havent got him!

Tonight he is my b!tch

I have goofed wiht mario and fzero at friends houses. I thing f-zero would get old with out linking to someone. Mario would be cool. I am really look forward to doom. I love shooters on my pc and think that could be very cool!
Old 06-26-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The big problem with Circle of the Moon is how much the difficulty jumps with every new area. I am on the sixth boss Death and he's pretty tough, but I beat him using the poison shield to block his sickles. The big problem with the game is not the difficulty of the bosses, but the difficulty with the normal enemies. I am at level 32 and even using the DSS to increase my strength to 600 some of the enemies still take 4 hits to kill. Consider that you are being swarmed by flying enemies that take 2-3 hits to kill and its nearly impossible just to get from save point to save point. You end up having to spend 2-3 hours just leveling up before you can go any further. This really sucks and makes the game boring and repetitive. SotN did not have this problem. You leveled up plenty just beating the bosses and didn't have to waste time with it later. SotN was a much better game than this in almost every aspect. I loved Circle of the Moon at first, but the more I play it the less I like it.

One key thing I've used to beat the bosses is the Cross weapon. This is very effective and does the most damage of any weapon since it works like a boomerang and does multiple hits with one throw.

I am already getting tired of Circle of the Moon and the constant need to go up five levels before I can go further into the game. This one may go in the unfinished pile for me.

[Edited by darkside on 06-26-01 at 12:14 PM]
Old 06-26-01, 02:15 PM

I agree that it is hard, but it's not that hard. Maybe i'm playing it wrong. Is there another board besides Dracula's castle? I just keep moving from save point to save point. i went throught the "door" thing that transports you to the upper left side of the map, but now i just keep moving from save point to save point...i'm just lost i think...
Old 06-26-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think it's difficult at all - except for the Battle Arena and the Twin Dragon. But then, I've played every single Castlevania before (I even own Dracula X - Rondo's Blood on PC-Engine Super CD-ROM^2), so I'm really used to the gameplay.
Old 06-26-01, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

do you have it on GBA because one big problem is the crap screen/graphics!
Old 06-26-01, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
do you have it on GBA because one big problem is the crap screen/graphics!
The Battle Arena and the Twin Dragons are from the GBA version. Yes, the screen was *way* to dark and it was hard to see. But I still finished it with little problems, although I didn't get the last two DSS cards from the Dark and White Knights. I just couldn't be bothered with the Battle Arena again and again and again...

Old 06-26-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far I haven't had any problems with bosses, I guess as long as you have a high enough level they are no big deal. I'm guessing level 50 or more is needed to even attempt the battle arena. Fighting my way to the seventh boss now, but died right outside a save point twice. I need to go and stock up on potions, but most of all I need a break. Eye strain is definitely the biggest difficulty with this game.
Old 06-26-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am stuck at the second boss (Necromancer). I am level 11, is that high enough to beat him?

For those on the first boss, you really need to explore more and find a save point, that way you won't have to restart every time.
Old 06-27-01, 12:57 PM
Retired

Originally posted by darkside
SotN did not have this problem. You leveled up plenty just beating the bosses and didn't have to waste time with it later. SotN was a much better game than this in almost every aspect.
I disagree. That was the one problem I had with SOTN. You level up to fast, and the game is very easy. Once you find the next area you just blaze through it. I mean in no game should you beat the last boss with absolutely no problems the first time you face him.
Old 06-27-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, SOTN was way too easy. Unless you played with the full luck cheat, but even that got easy eventually. If you're having a problem getting killed, try skipping over enemies instead of fighting every one.
Old 06-27-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just get tired of spending so much time leveling up. I would rather play a great ten+ hour game like SotN or Panzer Dragoon Saga that lets you play straight through. I don't see how making the game longer by making you spend an extra ten hours just leveling up makes the game better. Besides SotN could be played much longer by going through again with the other two characters and of course by trying to find every secret. However, its an endless debate so why bother.

I have no complaints about the bosses in this game, bosses are supposed to be tough and take you a few trys to figure out. I'm pretty far into Circle of the Moon anyway, so I am sure I will finish it eventually. Its just important to keep stocked up on potions. It takes a lot of time to go back and get the potions, but its worth the effort to keep you alive to reach the save points and allows you to pick up a lot of experience along the way.
Old 06-27-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm at Death right now, and I've never had to spend time leveling up, so while I see where you're coming from it's not an issue for me. That's one thing that used to annoy me about old Square games, the necessity to constantly gain levels. It's a fine balance.
Old 06-27-01, 04:44 PM

Well, I could use a little help with the trick candles. How do you beat them? I am a level 56 and I don't have time to kill them before they dissappear. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wolfman27
Well, I could use a little help with the trick candles. How do you beat them? I am a level 56 and I don't have time to kill them before they dissappear. Any help would be appreciated.
whip, then slide my friend!! or whip in the air, duck then whip again. Worked on like level 40, so you should have no problems.

im at 99.2%, can't find the last .8, it's driving me nuts!

[Edited by DVDKrayzie on 06-28-01 at 10:33 AM]
Old 06-28-01, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
whip, then slide my friend!! or whip in the air, duck then whip again. Worked on like level 40, so you should have no problems.

I'm at 100%. In other words, I'm done!

Still missed those two DSS cards in Battle Arena though. Bah.
Old 06-28-01, 03:54 PM

I finally beat the battle arena today. On to Dracula tomorrow!!!!
Old 06-28-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Originally posted by DVDKrayzie

I'm at 100%. In other words, I'm done!

Still missed those two DSS cards in Battle Arena though. Bah.
im still missing 1 card. ive beaten the battle arena 3 times and still cant get the one from the white armors. i can get thru the whole damn thing w/o even having to recharge my life now ive gotten so much practice trying to get that dang card.
Old 07-01-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got this today and I can barely even see what I'm doing because it's so dark! is there anything I can do?
Old 07-01-01, 04:21 PM

You need a good light source above the game. Try a desk lamp.
Old 07-01-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DrJag
i got this today and I can barely even see what I'm doing because it's so dark! is there anything I can do?
get a light shield

i play it under a desk lamp while on my couch and it looks perfect, but anywhere else it's really dark or has a glare, so the light shield is the best option ive found so far when I'm not at home or in that room.