Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DVD Driver Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is Sony gonna update the DVD drivers on the PS2? I heard that they might put them in GT3, but I'm not sure. And will these driver upgrades eliminate incompatibility problems that the PS2 has with some DVDs? (example: Whenever I pop in Disc 2 from The Emperor's New Groove: CE, it says "Unable to Read Disc")
Old 06-10-01, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My understanding of the new drivers on GT3 were that they would add features to the DVD player. I don't think they are designed to fix all the compatability problems.
Old 06-10-01, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

THese new drivers are gonna be like using scotch tape to repair a dam. They'll help at first, but then they'll just have to keep upgrading. I'm not sure what Sony was thinking, but for a company who makes GREAT DVD players, the PS2 is really subpar in that category
Old 06-10-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, when I bought my PS2 I sold my raite DVD player (50 more that I paid for it). It's seems like half my DVDs it has a problem with, I can hardly watch a movie with out it skiping. SO I just sold my PS2 & games on half for $500. I'm just rying to figure out if I should use the money to buy a WEGA or a new reciever, maybe even a TIVO.
Old 06-10-01, 01:34 PM

I haven't come across any DVD's that won't play on my PS2. I got that "can't read disc" message on the Xmen DVD, but i turned the diagnosis on and it worked fine then. I'm hoping that the rumored Sony remote/driver update comes out soon to fix the few problems i have with the DVD playback:

No time code
Only 1 speed for rewind/forward search
Better slow motion

[Edited by jagernaut on 06-10-01 at 11:36 AM]
Old 06-10-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about the picture quality? Will the new drivers improve on that as well? Half of the people that I've talked to say that the quality is subpar compared to stand alone players, while others say the quality looks the same.
Old 06-10-01, 06:47 PM

The diagnosis feature has "fixed" the only DVD that the PS2 would either not play or had lots pixelation, and that was a "From earth to the moon" disc 4.
I took my PS2 to a friends who is salesman for Crutchfield and he has a hi end ($400-500)DVD player he got from CF and except for the timecode and FF RW speed he admitted it was on par in picture quality and he eventually picked one up, BTW at the Crutchfield call center here in my part of virginia 90% of the guys who work there have PS2's and love em and none say the picture is inferior as some people like to say. One guy has a huge HT setup with the new 65" 16x9 bigscreen from sony or panansonic and a $3000 HT sound system and he uses the PS2 as the DVD player on that setup and put his old stand alone dvd in the bedroom.

[Edited by Brewc on 06-10-01 at 10:17 PM]
Old 06-11-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't think there's anyway to prove it, but there is a noticeable diference on my Wega between the PS2 and my regular Pioneer DVD player. It's not huge, but it is there.
Old 06-12-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I turned on the "Diagnosis" feature, but it still couldn't read Disc 2 from The Emperor's New Groove: CE . Isn't the Diagnosis feature for games and not DVD movies? After all, it's categorized under "Console" and not "DVD Player."