Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone think the Gamecube controllers look awkward?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone think the Gamecube controllers look awkward?

Old 05-14-01, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a pic for anyone that has not seen it yet.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature...lercolors.html

Does anyone here think the new design will be a bit hard to use during gameplay? Notice the "bean shaped" buttons and the z button is now on the top right shoulder above the R button. The design is very cool and I am sure the system will be successful, but I just don't see how this controller will work. But then again, I thought Playstation was awkward at first and now it seems to be one of my favorite controllers. I also like how every controller coming out seems to be a mix of N64 and Playstation. The Gamecube controllers have built in rumbling ala Dualshock but I don't know if it will be two or more different types of rumbling. Ninetendo also made the controller analog except for the x and y buttons I think. I don't know why they didn't just make them all analog. Its still a cool controller though. I hope Sony starts making different color controllers for PS2 already.

[Edited by seeyouauntie on 05-14-01 at 01:47 PM]
Old 05-14-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, but I never liked the N64 or Playstation controllers that much at first. It will just take time to adjust.
Old 05-14-01, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really looks to me that in an effort to be different they might have shot themselves in the foot with this one. I really think the PS controllers are as good as it gets, and I commend them for sticking with the same design for the PS2 instead of trying to build market hype with a new, fancy looking controller. I can't see myself using one of those things and liking it, even after getting 'used' to it.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-14-01, 11:04 PM

Although I am not a fan of MadCatz in the past, I think the best controller ever made was their Dreamcast controller. Rubber grips and thumbpads for the D-Pad and Analog Stick. It is much larger than the regular dreamcast controller. I have a hard time with most controllers because I have larger hands. I cringe everytime I see new controllers, how they cram everything in as close as possible, short grips and although asthetically pleasing, difficult to control for me. Gamecube is the system for me in this upcoming battle of the ages, but the controller is scaring me.
Old 05-15-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Scheherazade
I really think the PS controllers are as good as it gets, and I commend them for sticking with the same design for the PS2 instead of trying to build market hype with a new, fancy looking controller.
A different (assuming inferior) controller for the PS2 would have been just another problem. Sony instead built market hype by penalizing retailers who promoted other consoles and by being unable to determine exactly how many PS2s they might need at launch. But you are right, the PS has the coolest controller. Is the GBA compatible as a controller with the Gamecube?
Old 05-15-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as games aren't going to rely on the D and C pads as primary controls, it should be pretty good. The positioning of all the rest of the controls looks pretty cool all in all. But hey, we'll all have to wait until it's actually released and see how well it handles. When I saw the pictures of the N64 controller I thought it looked pretty crappy, but it turned out to be a damn good design (apart from the excessively loose analogue controller.) Let's hope the Gamecube controller manages to do as well...
Old 05-15-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by planetaire
Is the GBA compatible as a controller with the Gamecube?
Yep.

-Matt
Old 05-15-01, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
As long as games aren't going to rely on the D and C pads as primary controls, it should be pretty good. The positioning of all the rest of the controls looks pretty cool all in all. But hey, we'll all have to wait until it's actually released and see how well it handles. When I saw the pictures of the N64 controller I thought it looked pretty crappy, but it turned out to be a damn good design (apart from the excessively loose analogue controller.) Let's hope the Gamecube controller manages to do as well...
1st person shooters where you use both analogs might be awkard because the two analogs are at different corners of the controller, but you are correct. We need to just wait and see.
Old 05-15-01, 01:46 PM

as long as its different than the dreamcast controller...i hated that thing, and thats why i never got a dreamcast...it was like an n64 controller on 'roids... i have big hands as well, but that thing was huge...i think anything not a PlaySte controller is weird, but i'll get used to it...
Old 05-17-01, 10:57 AM

I had a chance to mess with the actual controller on a development system we have here at work and I think its a very awkward layout indeed. The Z button seems to have disappeared and the C controller required completely removing your thumb from the other controls. The D-pad is hard to reach and the shoulder buttons have far too much distance to travel to fully hold them down. Don't know if they are analog yet but even so the shoulder button is pretty silly.
Old 05-17-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always thought the original N64 controller was one of the best designs. I don't know why they didn't stick with it, I prefer it even over the PS controller.

However, I have to applaud Sony for making better adjustments to their controller. They never wrecked what worked, they just built on it. The dual analog sticks? Great idea to put two on there, and they put them where they were easy to use, but didn't interfere with using the controller normally. Dual shock? Again, great, two different vibrations, and it's built into the controller in such a way that you have to directly compare a non-dual shock to notice the difference. Plus, it doesn't use batteries. Extending the L2 and R2 buttons down? Good idea, makes them easier to keep your fingers on, no interference with other controls. Analog buttons on the Dual Shock 2? Good idea, and they are indistingishable from normal digital buttons. Most people treat digital buttons like analog anyway (ie, pushing harder to go faster, corner better, hit harder, etc).

Sony had a good controller and continually made it better without ever making it worse. Nintendo had a great controller and seems to be set on making it worse.
Old 05-17-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just like the N64 controller, you just have to get used to it.
Old 05-17-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awkward. Seems so. Ugly? Yes, without a doubt!! It's probably just that purple and pink aren't exactly my two favorite colors.
Old 05-18-01, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really gonna have to try it first. I recall thinking the dreamcast controller looked ugly and oversized when I first got it, but I've grown to love it. They are definitely hideous, however, in these poor color choices.
Old 05-18-01, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used it. it feels good.

Old 05-18-01, 08:12 AM

Nintendo ALWAYS comes out with some new controller that looks bad, feels good. As for the colors, Nintendo had BETTER get some decent colors (like black) or else people might be swayed away from such dumb wimpy colors. So far, black is the one I'm going for.
Old 05-18-01, 10:46 AM
Retired

It looks fine to me. Every where I've seen in mentioned by people that have used it, they have said that they thought it was excellent.
Old 05-20-01, 10:22 AM
Retired

Heres a positive review from cube.ign.com. Their probably biased, but there's not much reason to write a biased review for a controller. Another of their writers did mention a problem with the controller though. In the Luigi's Mansion hands on article he said that his thumb would slip off the camera stick, which is used to control Luigi's movement. The analog stick is used to aim his flash light. However, Miyamoto said he wasn't happy with the camera stick, and it might/probably will be changed before launch. Anyway, here's the review.

E3: Another GCN Controller Opinion

Consider an opinion from one of IGNcube's freelancers. Charlie Hill gives his impressions.

May 19, 2001

I can't believe how good the Nintendo controller feels. The hype is right. It's not an interface between you and the Gamecube, something that takes your input and passes it onto the game. It's a direct port into the gaming environment. The shape, size, and feel are so perfected that you don't even realize you're holding anything, things just happen onscreen when you want them to.
The first thing I noticed was how small the controller really is. I was positive my larger-than-normal hands would engulf it wholly, making a chore out of reaching certain buttons. But to my surprise, everything just fits. The pictures of the controller are helpful and I won't go into where my fingers lie and how I gripped it. There's no need. The controller absolutely melds with your hands. I can't describe it any other way. Not once in the entire time I was slaving away playing the GameCube titles did I need to look down and see what button I should be pushing. It's completely instinctive; the GameCube controller practically disappears in your hand.

The thing is, I didn't even realize how perfect it was until I held the Xbox controller. The Xbox controller is like holding two fat sausages in your hands separated by a huge dinner plate. The buttons are so far away from the right analog stick that I was constantly looking down trying to correct my thumb. Not to mention the buttons themselves are so smooth and indistinct that any extended gaming sessions will end early due to the slip-n-slide of your thumb. Forget that.

Chalk up another victory for Nintendo. Everything I've seen so far has confirmed Nintendo's commitment to gaming. The quality of the games makes the ease of programming evident and now that I've held the controller nothing can change my mind. I wonder how good the security is on the expo floor...

--Charlie Hill

Old 05-20-01, 11:43 AM

I like how the writer thinks Nintendo is a genious for their smaller controller. Its not like Sony's Playstation controller has been out for years now. I give Nintendo credit. They brought us the analog stick, rumble pack, and shoulder buttons. But the controller that I used to hate, Playstation's, is now my favorite and Xbox and Nintendo seem to just be copying that now with built in rumbling ala Dualshock, 2 analog sticks, and in Nintendo's case: eliminating the trigger for shoulder buttons. Of course you could say Sony ripped off Nintendo so maybe this means nothing. I just think the writer sounds like a Nintendo fanboy that seems like the company can do no wrong.
Old 05-20-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I dunno, it looks like the gamecube is using the classic d-pad, which though I prefer it over the sony PSX one, is still extremely painful with extended use - re: fighting games.

Tuan Jim
Old 05-21-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I played around with the GameCube controler at E3 and it is the best controler out there. It just feels "right". Sony's dualshock is now the 2nd best controler. X-box's controler, while not horrible, was just awkward and uncomfortable.

Everyone I've talked to that tried all the controlers felt the same way.
Old 05-21-01, 10:40 AM

First off, who is going to develop and let alone play a fighting game on the GameCube, besides Pokemon Stadium, which dosen't count?....

From what I could tell, and I forgot to mention in my previous post, was that the Yellow Analog stick (Bottom Right side) is most likely going to act the same way the C buttons did on the N64 controller.

As for the D-Pad, exactly the same. How many games did any N64 owner use the D-Pad for? I can't think of one game I used the D-Pad for. I'm sure there are plenty, however the point is, is that they aren't used very often but still good to have there. I was so skeptical about their placement, but they weren't as low as suspected and the controller just feels solid, even if it feels lighter. I was pretty amazed as to how easily it controlled. The R & L shoulder buttons are pressure sensitive as well and eventually will "Click" when pressed all the way down for other actions. It is the best controller I have held.

One complaint? and this goes for the Sony controllers as well. ... Longer grips on the controllers. I often feel I am the only one who wants a bigger controller.
Old 05-21-01, 03:58 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Tigger

From what I could tell, and I forgot to mention in my previous post, was that the Yellow Analog stick (Bottom Right side) is most likely going to act the same way the C buttons did on the N64 controller.
They will occasionally be used to control the player too. In Luigi's mansion you move Luigi with the Yellow stick and aim his flash light with the regular analog stick. It sounds like it will be similar to the Turok control scheme where you go forward, back, left, or right with the yellow stick and turn with the other stick.
Old 05-21-01, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Tigger
First off, who is going to develop and let alone play a fighting game on the GameCube, besides Pokemon Stadium, which dosen't count?....

Then I guess Nintendo is going to turn a lot of people away who are into fighting games. You are right though, I can not remember one fighting game on Nintendo except Super Smash Bros.

Does it feel like a regular analog stick? Or is it somewhat of a hybrid of the C-PAd and an analog stick? Just wondering.

As for the D-Pad, exactly the same. How many games did any N64 owner use the D-Pad for? I can't think of one game I used the D-Pad for. I'm sure there are plenty, however the point is, is that they aren't used very often but still good to have there. I was so skeptical about their placement, but they weren't as low as suspected and the controller just feels solid, even if it feels lighter. I was pretty amazed as to how easily it controlled. The R & L shoulder buttons are pressure sensitive as well and eventually will "Click" when pressed all the way down for other actions. It is the best controller I have held.
Although I can not remember games I used the D-Pad for on Nintendo, I can tell you on the PS I switch off sometimes for certain parts of games. That is why I like that controller. Not only can you turn the analog mode on and off when you please but you can use both types. I remember a lot of N64 games were very firm in its controls and if it used the analog stick the D-Pad did nothing. I still think the Gamecube controller looks awkard but Nintendo is always crazy with their designs but they do usually feel right. I guess I will know more when I use it.

One complaint? and this goes for the Sony controllers as well. ... Longer grips on the controllers. I often feel I am the only one who wants a bigger controller.
Big hands? I love the smaller controllers and at first I did hate it. I still like large controllers like the N64 and Dreamcast but they are just so heavy when you think about, especially when you put memory cards or rumble packs in them. Like you said with the new GC contollers, smaller controllers just feel right.
Old 05-25-01, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
as for the buttons being odd shaped Mr. Miyamoto has envisioned a simpler way to interact with a gaming environment. he has envisioned games that require only the control stick and the large blue button in the middle ala Zelda OOT and MM.