Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Memories of early days of Fox

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I know this seems like a completely random post (because it is), but when I was re-reading Karen Mistal's entry on the IMDb (yes, "Return of the Killer Tomatoes" fan), I saw "The New Adventures of Beans Baxter" listed, and memories started flooding...well, trickling...back.

I started watching Fox really early on, probably out of boredom.

Some of the early stuff that springs to mind (I didn't watch "Married With Children" back then):

"The Adventures of Beans Baxter" -- At the time, I thought it was supposed to be like "Inspector Gadget". Oh, how much wiser I am now. I remember next to nothing about the series aside from Karen Mistal, who I was madly in love with at the time, an intro that included an animated bean with a weird smile, and one episode with a robot that went on an attempted killing spree when some secret key word was uttered. I would weep openly if Rhino were to release this on video/DVD. I probably have a better chance of Rhino buying me a pony.

"Second Chance" -- the second show that comes to mind when I think of Fox back then. The concept of having a dead guy who's too bad for Heaven but too good for Hell returning to the past to try to set things right seemed like a pretty novel concept to me all those years ago. I was disappointed when the older version of the main character and his angel guardian were dropped from the series, which was retitled "Boys Will Be Boys". I remember a bit of the pilot and one episode where everyone goes camping. I'm positive the camping episode involved a bra at one point. Why that sticks in my mind, I have no idea. Apparently the now-famous Matthew Perry starred. How many "Friends" cast members starred in Fox series? At least half of the main cast.

"Down And Out In Beverly Hills" -- according to the IMDb, this was the first show Fox ever cancelled. The end of the opening credit sequence is forever embedded in my mind. I don't remember the show itself.

"Mr. President" -- although I wasn't quite eight at the time, I was old enough to recognize George C. Scott as a great actor and the title character in "Patton", even if I hadn't actually watched the film. I didn't understand what he was doing on a sitcom. Awful, yet I watched it. That sums up most of my childhood viewing habits up through my freshman year of high school, when I discovered Troma.

"Werewolf" -- a TV series I'd love to see on DVD at some point. This was the only Fox show I remember ever watching with my family on a regular basis aside from "21 Jump Street". I was convinced at the time that werewolves exist. Sad, really.

I remember a commercial for what I think was a Fox series in '87, but I'm not sure what show it was. It might've been syndicated and just airing on the local Fox affiliate. In any event, there was a party scene, and there was some exchange like:
"You're the boss?"
"He's the boss?"
"I thought Springsteen was the boss!"
(cue laugh track)

I don't know why I'm posting all of this. I apologize in advance.
Old 03-17-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember watching the original Simpsons skits on the Tracey Ullman show back about 1989 or so, oh the good old days...
Old 03-17-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just curious, when did Fox start broadcasting? I think the earliest I remember was Married with children and I think that started in like 1985.
Old 03-17-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I remember a show with a giant mutated chicken. No really.
Old 03-17-01, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by huzefa
Just curious, when did Fox start broadcasting? I think the earliest I remember was Married with children and I think that started in like 1985.
April 5, 1987.

BTW, I didn't include "Married With Children", "It's Gary Shandling's Show", or "21 Jump Street" in my little missive because everyone remembers those shows. Well, maybe now Gary Shandling's show, but...whatever...
Old 03-18-01, 12:24 AM

I loved 'Get a Life'. I would buy that on DVD, just to have a copy of the 'Zoo Animals on Wheels' episode. And I watched 'Werewolf' of course. Was 'Alien Nation' on Fox? I admit, that was a guilty pleasure of mine. Ah, yes, how I remember our little group of shiftless college students sitting around Sunday nights watching 'In Living Color'.
Old 03-18-01, 12:49 AM

What about FAME or Ferris The series
Old 03-18-01, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Herman's Head' sucked.
'PAULY' starring Pauly Shore really sucked.
Old 03-18-01, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by blackhawks70
What about FAME or Ferris The series
Fame was an NBC series and then was syndicated after it was cancelled by the network.

Ferris Bueller was on NBC. It had Jennifer Aniston as Ferris' sister.

JoeC...who loves TV trivia!
Old 03-18-01, 01:58 AM

I remember Beans Baxter. One of the stars of the series was Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy (pre radio talk show).
I always thought that was odd casting.

JoeC
Old 03-18-01, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Was "Babes" on Fox? The show about three unhealthy obese women...how come that never lasted?
Old 03-18-01, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Chad
I remember a show with a giant mutated chicken. No really.
I remember that one too ... Gods, what was the name of that one? It took place on a farm in the middle of the country, after some kind of nucleur accident (war? I don't remember) and there were people from all over, like 6 or 7 of them, there was the scientist, the rich guy, and others. I don't know the name of the show, or anyone that was in it, but I do know that I liked it back then (hey, I was like 10 at the time!) and I remember that giant bird. It wasn't a chicken, it was a giant mutated turkey ... and somehow it rained, the turkey looked up and ... lunch for the humans.

Anyone else remember this show?
Old 03-18-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The mutant chicken show sounds like "Whoops!". I'm positive that's the title, but I don't see it listed on the IMDb. "Whoops!", which I think debuted in '92, doesn't really fall under what I consider to be an 'early Fox show', though. Same with "Herman's Head" ('91) and "Pauly" (I had to look this up, but '97?!). 'Early' would probably be 'pre-Simpsons', IMO. All the shows I mentioned debuted before the Christmas Special first aired.

"Alien Nation" was on Fox, yeah. epguides.com says for just a season, too. It seemed like it ran longer than that. I also didn't realize that "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" ran as long as it did...
Old 03-18-01, 11:05 AM

I remember that show "women in prison", it was like one of those "upbeat, happy" prison shows
Old 03-18-01, 11:26 AM

Parker Lewis Can't Lose

I dug that show
Old 03-18-01, 12:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I remember "Beans Baxter." The villain was played by Kurtwood Smith (the dad on "That 70's Show" among a zillion other credits).
Old 03-18-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trelach24
Was "Babes" on Fox? The show about three unhealthy obese women...how come that never lasted?
I think you answered your own question. But, yeah, I remember that show, although I've tried to forget it, and it worked until you mentioned it. Thanks a lot.

I used to watch Get a Life, Herman's Head, and Parker Lewis Can't Lose (although I didn't watch this until USA started airing the reruns).

Although this show wasn't from FOX's early days (it was in 94 or 95 probably), it's probably more obscure than the older shows being mentioned in this thread. it was called What's So Funny?. Nick Bakay hosted it. I remember they advertised it for months (and all the advertisements were a clip of President Clinton standing next to Boris Yeltsin and laughing). They put it on after Married with Children (which was still popular at the time), and it bombed. I think it lasted about 2 or 3 episodes. Anyone else remember that show?

Here's the IMDB link for What's So Funny?.

[Edited by scott27 on 03-18-01 at 10:40 AM]
Old 03-18-01, 03:32 PM

Found it!

You were right ... well, kinda ... It was called Woops, and only 10 of the 13 episodes aired (wonder whatever happened to the other 3?) ... Here's the link to IMDB ... http://us.imdb.com/Title?0103583
Old 03-18-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I too loved Parker Lewis Can't Lose

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr (later shortened to Brisco County Jr) was also great to me.
Old 03-18-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great thread! The memories are flooding back.

In addition to some of the shows already mentioned, I used to watch Duet, and its spin-off, Open House, which featured a pre-out Ellen DeGeneres as a hilariously snide, sarcastic receptionist.
Old 03-18-01, 04:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone remember Danger Theatre? It aired on FOX back in '93. Here's the link...http://us.imdb.com/Title?0105981.
Old 03-18-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My greatest memory of Fox is when I saw the first episode of Married with Children back in the 80s!
Old 03-18-01, 06:42 PM

Definitely have to be Married with Children.
Old 03-18-01, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
There was also The Edge which aired in 1992. It starred Wayne Knight, Julie Brown and Jennifer Aniston in a Saturday Night Live type skit show:

http://us.imdb.com/Details?0103407
Old 03-18-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I loved "The Edge" during its first season. Consistently funny, and the "What _________ is doing right this minute" never failed to get a laugh. Later episodes didn't hold my interest at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.