re: BattleBots -- Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones
wow. awesome.
Agreed!
Old 02-08-15, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want the bots to do their own confessionals.
Old 02-08-15, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just yesterday I was watching a video of Jamie Hyneman, of Mythbusters fame, talking about his Robot Wars/Battlebot days. He created "Blendo" which was one of the first spinner type robots. It was so destructive that for the first two tournaments he entered after the first battle the organizers, citing concerns for audience safety, offered him the title of Co-Champion if he withdrew from the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWhnHFPLbYA
Old 02-08-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Good, I missed this show.
Old 02-08-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember loving this show in the beginning but then getting burned out on it fairly quickly after the novelty wore off.

Last edited by Thrush; 02-09-15 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the show could be greatly improved over the original just due to the advances in control technology that have been made. I big issue with the original series was how clunky and clumsy a lot of the bots and/or operators were.
Old 02-09-15, 08:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really looking forward to this. I like the idea of putting more focus on the builds. I'm guessing the success of American Ninja Warrior inspired them to give this a shot.
Old 02-09-15, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
Separate weight classes will be eliminated so that robots of all sizes will battle against each other. (In the original BattleBots tournaments, robots were divided into four categories: Lightweight – 60 pounds; Middleweight – 120 pounds; Heavyweight – 220 pounds and Superheavyweight – 340 pounds)[/url]
That is stupid.
Gee, I wonder who will win? /s
Old 02-09-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent news.
Old 02-10-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
That is stupid.
Gee, I wonder who will win? /s
It's like the opposite of what MMA has been doing over the past 30 years.
Old 06-21-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Battlebots (ABC) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

SEASON PREMIERE

ABC ANNOUNCES THE TEAMS COMPETING ON THE SEASON PREMIERE OF "BATTLEBOTS," JUNE 21

8 Teams Go Head to Head During the Qualifiers Round

"Episode 101" -- "BattleBots," the epic robot-fighting tournament, kicks off SUNDAY, JUNE 21 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) as the first round of next generation robots, that promise to be bigger, faster, and stronger than ever before, go head to head on the ABC Television Network. During the first night of the six-episode tournament, 8 teams will converge in an arena of minefield and hazards for the ultimate shot at glory during the Qualifiers round. Each match will consist of a single three- minute bout in which the goal is to completely destroy or disable the opponent. If there is no knockout during the three-minute battle, the panel of judges will declare a victor to move onto the next round. Competitors range from NASA engineers, to teenage students, to everyone in between -- each with one goal -- to claim the ultimate title and walk away with the grand cash prize.

Over the course of the tournament event, we'll introduce you to the builders behind the robots, break down each machine, and compare the match-ups with expert play-by-play analysis from veteran sports broadcaster, Chris Rose, color commentary from former UFC fighter Kenny Florian, celebrated sports anchor Molly McGrath as the host, and sideline reporters Allison Haislip and NASA engineer Bobak Ferdowsi. Judging each battle are former BattleBots competitor and special effects artist Fon Davis, NASA astronaut Leland Melvin and the face of Nerdist Jessica Chobot. Ring announcer Faruq Tauheed will preside as the bots battle.

The 8 teams slated to compete during the Qualifiers round are listed in alphabetical order below:

1. Bite Force: Team Captain - Paul Ventimiglia (Hometown: Wayne, NJ / Currently Resides in Mountain View, CA)

2. Icewave: Team Captain - Marc Devidts (Hometown: New Orleans, LA / Currently Resides in Sunnyvale, CA)

3. Nightmare: Team Captain - Jim Smentowski (Hometown: Colorado Springs, CO / Currently Resides in Bradenton, FL)

4. Plan X: Team Captain - Lisa Winter (Hometown: Dubuque, IA / Currently Resides in Orinda, CA)

5. Razorback: Team Captain - Zack Bieber (Hometown: Fort Morgan, CO / Currently Resides in Wellington, CO)

6. Warhead: Team Captain - Ian Lewis (Hometown and Currently Resides in: Bournemouth, UK)

7. Warrior Clan: Team Captain - Terry Ewert (Hometown: Colby, WI / Currently Resides in Abbotsford, WI)

8. Wrecks: Team Captain - Micah Leibowitz (Hometown: Berkeley, CA/ Currently Resides in Hayward, CA)

"BattleBots," a reimagined take of the killer robot combat sport from Whalerock Industries and the creators of the original "BattleBots" franchise, Ed Roski and Greg Munson. The homemade robots will battle against each other, in a single elimination tournament style format, until there is one champion. MGM Television, which has a development deal with Whalerock Industries, will be distributing the program internationally. There will be cash prizes for winners in the Championship Rounds. Executive Producers are Lloyd Braun, Chris Cowan, Ed Roski and Greg Munson.

For those interested,

6 episode season

The previous incarnation of this show last aired 13 years ago on Comedy Central.

There's too much good scripted tonight on cable, so I probably won't be watching this. But, I'm sure a few here will be interested.
Old 06-21-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: Battlebots (ABC) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

can't wait to see this. i'll probably watch with my son, since this seems like good family entertainment.
Old 06-21-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huge crush on Molly M so I'm in. My son will love it as well.
Old 06-22-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I just watched the first episode. Molly McGrath is gorgeous. I really liked Icewave. It was dominant.

I didn't like how they telegraphed a few wins by only doing featurettes on one of the two teams before the battle. The team that they featured usually won. Also, I wished they would just say ready, set, go instead of doing the repetitive ready sequences before the battles.
Old 06-22-15, 07:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Caught the second half of the show, enjoyed it. Don't like how they allow multiple bots, and when they interviewed warrior clan, he implied that he had more and could just replace the broken one with a new one.

Last edited by Me007gold; 06-22-15 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-23-15, 08:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was cool that there were some returning players from the original show and that they kept the soul of the show intact. It felt modern but the tone was the same.
Old 06-23-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Caught the second half of the show, enjoyed it. Don't like how they allow multiple bots, and when they interviewed warrior clan, he implied that he had more and could just replace the broken one with a new one.
I thought the same thing! I missed the first few minutes of the show, so maybe I missed the part where they explained the rules on having multiple helper bots, but that just didn't seem fair.
Old 06-23-15, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoyed it as I'm always up for some bot on bot violence. I do wish they'd show the bots with people in the same shot more often as its difficult to get a good idea of the bots sizes when they're in the arena.
Old 06-23-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I thought it was cool that there were some returning players from the original show and that they kept the soul of the show intact. It felt modern but the tone was the same.
yeah, it was cool. I watched it with my almost 6 year old son. he loved the hell out of it. i'm glad this is back. it's something we can watch together that's not cartoons.
Old 06-23-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did they not get Grant Imahara to host this?
Old 06-23-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot how much I love watching robots beat the hell out of each other!
Old 06-23-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
How did they not get Grant Imahara to host this?
I wondered the exact same thing. Maybe he's still getting some high-paying speaking gigs or is working on movies?

I always liked the guy, but I hated most of the build team segments on MythBusters. They'd spend hours trying to figure out something that Jamie/Adam could do in 10.
Old 06-23-15, 04:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

just as boring and chocked full of filler as the original. zzzzzz. don't get me wrong, the 2 minutes the robots are fighting is kind of cool, but the rest is shit. Also the fact that the squat, no frills robots usually win because of their simplistic design make it sucktastic to watch. out.
Old 06-23-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

That's why it's perfect for the DVR. I watched the 4 battles and nothing else. Took 12 minutes. Great to see it back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.