Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What the most controversial show ever???

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What the most controversial show ever???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: What the most controversial show ever???

Originally Posted by jjtaLLman
Thank you for correcting me...I don't want to spread rumors on the web!!!

Thank you for keeping rock history intact!

Those days are all kinda of a blur for me I reckon.
Hey, I didn't have it right myself.

Anyway, there's a show I noticed on Wikipedia called "Turn-On" from 1969.

(Tim) Conway has stated that Turn-On was canceled midway through its lone episode, so that the party the cast and crew held for its premiere (as the show aired across the United States) also marked its cancellation. The show was not officially cancelled for several days, but two ABC affiliates, Denver's KBTV and Cleveland's WEWS, failed to return to the program after the first commercial break. The general manager of WEWS, Don Perris, sent ABC network management an angry telegram: "If you naughty little boys have to write dirty words on the walls, please don't use our walls. It's all right to be racy, but this is just plain dirty." KBTV announced that "the remainder of the preceding program will not be seen." Other stations in time zones behind Eastern and Central which had some forewarning, such as KATU in Portland, Oregon, never showed the program at all, while many others made the decision not to show it again as soon as the episode was over.
Naturally, I want to see it.
Old 10-26-10, 05:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High for me. It was a Canadian show in the late 80's, early 90's. It was a solid cast of teen no-name actors. They covered topics anywhere from teen pregnancy, aids, rape, sexual abuse, parental abuse, drugs and booze, drinking and driving, teen suicide., etc

Wonder if it is out on DVD?
Degrassi Jr. High - Complete Series
Degrassi High - Complete Series

Loved these shows growing up. It's probably a little too dated now, but it actually dealt with some serious issues, as you mentioned. The new show "The Next Generation" didn't interest me nearly as much, but that's to be expected considering I'm no longer the target audience.
Old 10-26-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Hey, I didn't have it right myself.

Anyway, there's a show I noticed on Wikipedia called "Turn-On" from 1969.

Naturally, I want to see it.
That's the show I was referring to in my earlier post. The onlt part I remember is the skit showing famous people's bare feet.

There is an episode of the original Hawaii Five-0 titled, "Bored, She Hung Herself". After it airted some woman actually hung herself. CBS never reran it, it was never syndicated, and was not included in the DVD set for that season. Has not been seen since original airing.
Old 10-26-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

The Twilight Zone episode "The Encounter" was considered contoversial also and was not syndicated. Starred Neville Brand and George Takai as American and Japanese WWII vets who still hate each other. Was finally seen again when Twilight Zone was re-syndicated in 1981.