Reload this Page >

Your Top shows of 2023

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Your Top shows of 2023

Old 12-20-23, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Your Top shows of 2023

Figured we need another one of these. It's always good to see people's lists because there have been things I missed or didn't know about and got to check out. I will leave it up to you to decide how many you want to list. I think I'll do ten this year.

1. The Last of Us S1 Max
Easily the best show of the year for me. Extremely faithful to the video game and it was extremely well done. Episode 3 was one of the best episodes of television in years. This was a no-brainer for me.

2. Bosch: Legacy S2 Freevee/Amazon Prime
While I think this has been a slight step down from the OG version, I believe this season was a step up from last season. I love the character and hope we get to experience many more seasons of Bosch.

3. Silo S1 AppleTV
I knew very little about this going in. Glad I didn't know much. It was excellent and worthy of being in the top ten. Very interesting premise that makes you want to know more and more every time you watch a new episode.

4. Shrinking S1 Apple TV
This was probably my favorite comedy this year. Absolutely hilarious but also heartwarming and heartbreaking at times. Harrison Ford gives one of his best performances in this. He is spectacular.

5. Platonic S1 Apple TV
This was another one that surprised me how good it was. Seth Rogen plays a character you'd expect him to play but he does well doing it. It hit home since it deals with friendships and family at a point in life where I can relate. The best part of the whole show is the running scooter gag.

6. Jury Duty S1 Freevee
This came out of nowhere and it was amazing to watch. How this all came together was pretty amazing. James Marsden gives a great performance, but Ronald is the true star.

7. Mrs Davis S1 Peacock
This show was a trip. A rogue AI and a nun. It doesn't even make sense but does by the end. It has some fun comedy and some great action. Worthy of checking out.

8. Star Trek: SNW S2 Paramount+
As a sucker for almost anything ST, this was a fun ride. I don't believe it was as enjoyable as S1, but we got some great character development. And the ST shows in general tend to be the best looking and sounding shows on television.

9. Rick and Morty S7 Adult Swim
This felt like a return to form for the show. The new voices took a little while to adjust to, but after a few episodes, it wasn't even on my mind. There were a few excellent episodes and significantly better than last season. That's Amorte was an all time classic and Unmortricken also provided closure to one of the longest plots in the show.

10. Star Trek: Picard S3
While I don't think this was necessarily the best ST, the nostalgia of it with a lot of the TNG legacy cast vaulted this into the top 10. It definitely left on the right note that the movies never delivered.

Honrable Mention: Succession S4, For All Mankind S4, Rick and Morty S7, Poker Face S1 , The Bear S2, I Think You Should Leave S3, Perry Mason S2, How To With John Wilson S3, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia S16, The Night Agent S1, Ashoka S1, Ted Lasso S4, Dave S4, Beavis and Butthead S2, Jack Ryan S4, The Lincoln Lawyer S2, Solar Opposites S4, Loki S2, Reacher S2

Last edited by Deftones; 12-22-23 at 10:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Deftones:
bluesix (01-02-24), Dan1boy (12-20-23), DJariya (12-20-23), JoeySeven (01-12-24)
Old 12-20-23, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 358 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: Your Top shows of 2023

The Night Agent is my top show of 2023.

It is the show 24 Legacy should have been (young protagonist hero).
The following users liked this post:
csant (12-28-23)
Old 12-20-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Not in any particular order. These are the ones that I watched to completion. There are many others that I am still working on.

The Last of Us (HBO)

The Night Agent (Netflix) - Good to finally have a exciting serialized action show.

Star Trek: Picard season 3 (Paramount +)

Obliterated (Netflix) - Some think this show is stupid, but I really needed a show with some laughs, extreme violence and some sex/nudity

The Way Home (Hallmark) -- A science fiction time travel show on Hallmark. Who would have guessed? And it's quite good IMO. It's also a family drama built on the relationships.

Silo (Apple TV +) - A really smart and compelling science fiction show.

Warrior season 3 (Max)

Bosch: Legacy season 2 (FreeVee)

Superman and Lois season 3 (CW)

Special Ops: Lioness (Paramount +) - Badass military action show

Honorable mention: Gen V season 1, Winning Time season 2, Jack Ryan season 4, Arnold (Netflix) - Documentary series

Last edited by DJariya; 12-20-23 at 08:56 PM.
JoeySeven (01-12-24)
Old 12-21-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Poker Face was easily my favorite show. Silo, Monarch, Gen V and Picard stand out as well. Haven't watched SNW yet but I am sure it will be up there. Might watch Last of Us but not really my thing
Old 12-21-23, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
Jack Ryan S3,
Jack Ryan season 4 aired in 2023.
Old 12-21-23, 08:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have literally never seen a single episode from any season of any of these shows.

I'm ok in becoming a dinosaur. If it isn't on OTA HDTV, or Prime, I probably haven't seen it.

PhantomStranger (12-23-23)
Old 12-21-23, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Daisy Jones And The Six: Miniseries
The Last Of Us - Season One
Lessons In Chemistry: Miniseries
Star Trek Picard: Season Three
Walking Dead - Dead City: Season One
Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon: Season One
Love And Death: Miniseries
A Small Light: Miniseries
Twisted Metal: Season One
Hello Tomorrow: Season One?
Old 12-22-23, 08:26 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Not sure I actually watched 10 current shows this year so I'll limit it to 5 - I spent a decent amount of time catching up on shows from the past 5-10 years.

Top 5:
Succession
The Last of Us
Poker Face
The Bear
Beef
Old 12-22-23, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 625 Likes on 503 Posts

Don't have a list. I'll just say Silo was the best. Jury Duty was the funniest.
Old 12-23-23, 12:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I try to write down my thoughts about a show but I've done a terrible job this year.

I liked Poker Face. Aside from the great writing I love her voice. I listen to a lot of radio and it's like Madeleine Brand on KCRW or Ira Flatow on Science Friday.

I would have liked to watch Bosch: Legacy but 8 minutes of commercials in a 50 minute show is too much.

Jury Duty was fun but I feel like I was catfished.

Star Trek Picard was awful.

Daisy Jones And The Six was ok but just watch Almost Famous.

I liked Succession but I haven't finished it. I'm not in the mood for unpleasant people.

I don't know if Mr. Monk's Last Case counts but I didn't care for it. It's meant to be elegiac but comes off as forlorn. It's nice to see the original actors but they've gotten old. You can see it in the way they move. The plot is ridiculous. I have no doubt Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk can be terrible people but I don't see them murdering a reporter. Has a heartwarming ending that leaves open a sequel.
Old 12-23-23, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 838 Likes on 705 Posts

House of Villains was a fun reality show on the E! channel, just finished airing its first season. They took several famous reality show villains and put them in a house together in a contest for cash money. The cast included several big reality names, including Johnny Bananas from MTV's The Challenge, Jonny Fairplay from Survivor, Corinne from the Bachelor, New York from Flavor Flav's dating show, and Omarosa from The Apprentice. Easily worth a watch if you like any of the cast.

I don't keep up with most of the streaming shows airing today. I now wait until a show has run its course before committing to something from a streaming service. No real point in keeping up with "new" content when few actually discuss current programs.
Old 12-23-23, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
I try to write down my thoughts about a show but I've done a terrible job this year.

I liked Poker Face. Aside from the great writing I love her voice. I listen to a lot of radio and it's like Madeleine Brand on KCRW or Ira Flatow on Science Friday.

I would have liked to watch Bosch: Legacy but 8 minutes of commercials in a 50 minute show is too much.

Jury Duty was fun but I feel like I was catfished.

Daisy Jones And The Six was ok but just watch Almost Famous.

I liked Succession but I haven't finished it. I'm not in the mood for unpleasant people.

I don't know if Mr. Monk's Last Case counts but I didn't care for it. It's meant to be elegiac but comes off as forlorn. It's nice to see the original actors but they've gotten old. You can see it in the way they move. The plot is ridiculous. I have no doubt Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk can be terrible people but I don't see them murdering a reporter. Has a heartwarming ending that leaves open a sequel.
Monk was a bit of a downer based on how the show ended. Felt like an extra-long random episode thirteen years later.

Picard Season Three was awful? I thought that was the only good season.
Old 12-23-23, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DeFan

Season 3??? With the reunion of the TNG crew? I mean okay, but you would probably be in the extreme minority with that opinion.
Old 12-26-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Didn't see too much new this year - binged a bunch of older series instead - but the two that really clicked with me were Poker Face and the second season of Sweet Tooth. Also had a lot of fun with Class of '07.
Old 12-27-23, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Honorable Mention -- Mrs. Davis (Peacock) - Maybe not truly great, but totally, totally bonkers. That should count for something

10) Scott Pilgrim Takes Off (Netflix) - So much better than I was expecting or even hoped it would be. Goes off in a completely unexpected direction and explores these characters that I love in a totally new way. What a pleasant surprise, and so nice for the movie cast to all reunite like that, even if some of the vocal performances are far better than others.

9) Winning Time S2 (HBO Max) - Ends with a whimper, not a bang, but still so much fun. Master class from Aiden Brody as Pat Riley, really fantastic work.

8) Poker Face (Peacock) - I love Columbo, I love everything Rian Johnson does, so this was right in my wheelhouse. Plus best Tim Meadows performance since Walk Hard.

7) How To With John Wilson S3 (HBO Max) - So sad to see it end, but I feel so lucky we got three seasons of this wonderfully weird docu-comedy look at life in New York. It ended on the perfect note.

6) Fargo S5 (FX) - Such a welcome return to form after two lackluster seasons. We are finally back in the black comedic heart of the Coens. Anchored by a pair of thrilling villainous turns from Jon Hamm and the amazing Coen Bros vet, Jennifer Jason Leigh. I haven't seen the end yet, but I am totally hooked and am enjoying this season so much

5) Jury Duty (Freevee) - Who could have suspected that a joke based reality show could somehow restore a little bit of my faith in humanity? Through the miracle of casting, Ronald Gladden was chosen as the only person not in on the joke and ends up showing himself to be a wonderful, kind, intelligent, considerate and dedicated juror -- when all that was expected of him was to be Truman Burbank, 2.0.

4) The Last of Us S1 (HBO Max) - Calling it the Greatest Video Game Adaptation Ever is selling it way too short. It was in a word perfect. Expertly casted and perfectly paced, telling a story I already knew but in a totally enthralling way. Deeply moving and with such a beautiful, touching, standout, almost-bottle episode "Long, Long, Time" that will stay with me for, yes, a very long time indeed -- that was a better and more compelling love story than 99.9% of the romantic movies I've ever seen.

3) Barry S4 (HBO Max) - That final season of Barry was a tough one. It has long gone from being a 'comedy' and into the darkest of dark places. But it still managed to be totally engrossing and a fascinating study into the lingering effects of trauma and how it can touch every aspect of our lives. I wasn't expecting a happy ending and didn't get one. But what we got made sense and delivered some really memorable moments of glorious humor and shocking violence.

2) Succession S4 (HBO Max) - Everything you could hope for in a final season, and then some. An early shocking, unexpected twist and then most of the seasons dealing with the fallout. A conclusion that we should have seen coming but still managed to surprise and entertain. A final shot that will linger with me for a long time. Really amazing performances by the entire cast, but especially Jeremy Strong who can really make you care about a character you really should just loathe.

1) The Bear S2 (FX) - If you would have told me in 2022 when it took me like three attempts to just finish the pilot of this show, that Season 2 would be my favorite show on TV all year -- in a year with Top-of-its-game Succession, no less -- well I would have laughed you out of the room. But The Bear S2 just delivered episode after episode. I was temped to binge it, but instead carefully limited myself to just one episode a day so I could savor each one and spend the next day reflecting on it. The best episodes of the show, especially Honeydew and Forks were basically stand-alone mini movies and this show affected me far more than I would have ever expected. Much like Barry, it rarely actually felt like a comedy, but in my opinion was the best thing on TV in 2023.

Dan1boy (12-27-23)
Old 12-28-23, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

1. The Last of Us - Great show and a fantastic adaptation of the game. The Nick Offerman episode is one of the best episodes of TV.
  2. Silo - I don't know the books and didn't know much about the show. This was a nail biter from start to finish.
  3. Succession: S4 - The perfect conclusion for a fantastic show, about a family of dicks.
  4. Jury Duty - This was just funny and heart warming.
  5. Winning Time: S2 - The ending left a bad taste, but they did their best under the circumstances. The show is just very entertaining.
  6. Special Ops: Lioness - Not very creative, but straight forward action
  7. Lawmen: Bass Reeves - The first episodes are a bit slow, but it's a strong western.
  8. Star Trek: Picard: S3 - This is what Picard should have been all along. Find a way to combine the old guard with a new crew.
  9. Ted Lasso: S3 - Also a perfect conclusion for a fantastic show.
  10. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: S4 - It felt a bit rushed, two more episodes would have been good, but it was fast paced action and that's what I want from the show.
DJariya (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

In no order, a few of my faves:

Only Murders in the Building (S3)
Our Flag Means Death (S2)
Ted Lasso (S3)
Poker Face (S1)
The Peripheral (S1) - unfortunately canceled so no closure

I'd like to add Miracle Workers (S4) but I haven't seen it yet since it hasn't hit a streaming service yet. Assuming it's anywhere near as good as any of the first three seasons, it's a safe bet to make my list.
Old 12-28-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 740 Posts

Ted Lasso S3
Daisy Jones and the Six
Fargo S5
-ongoing, but loving it
Beef
Fatal Attraction

I feel like I'm missing something. Thought it might be White Lotus S2, but that was 2022.

Ah, just saw Michael Corvin's post. Yes:
The Peripheral

Argh, and another one! How could I forgot:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S5
Old 12-28-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Fatal Attraction
Now THAT is a Zag.
Old 12-28-23, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 566 Likes on 416 Posts

Reservation Dogs Season 3
The Last of Us Season 1
How to With John Wilson Season 3
The Mandalorian Season 3
Old 01-02-24, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

These were a list of my favorites through the year:

The Last of Us S1, entertaining and great set design. (Max)
Starstruck - S3, nice little 22 min comedy that wrapped this year (Max)
The Mandalorian Season 3 - baby yoda keeps delivering (D+)
Ted Lasso S3 - nice wrap up of initial arc (Apple+)
Special Ops: Lioness - this was a kick butt action show - (Paramount Plus)
Poker Face (S1) - excellent Columbo update (Peacock)
Murder at the End of the World - nice little Agatha Christie setup, good follow up from the o/a - (Hulu)
Reacher Season 2 - this show is a blast - (Prime)
Mrs. Maisel S5 - started a tad shaky but great wrap up after an unsteady S4 - (Prime)
Bosch: Legacy S2 - still one or two eps to go, but I savor these, I don't even mind the ads - Freevee/Amazon Prime
Ghosts S2 - just a fun little comedy that I enjoy with the family - (CBS)
Silo S1 - terrific sci-fi - (Apple+)
Hijack S1, Implausible but blew through this quick - (Apple+)
The Night Agent - Probably my favorite Netflix show of the year (Netflix)
Reality: Amazing Race/Survivor/Top Chef: Still enjoying these stalwarts with the family.

I also enjoyed
Tulsa S1, Sly is good in this, decent fish out of water setup (Paramount Plus)
Transplant S3, good medical procedural (NBC/Peacock)
Favorite British TV discoveries: I use my Hoopla Library card to watch Dalgliesh set in the 70s's two seasons, I love the vibe and this detective... and I signed up for Britbox where I am loving Shetland, another great lead.
Old 01-02-24, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,039 Likes on 637 Posts

The Fall of the House of Usher (Netflix) - loved this Edgar Allan Poe-based miniseries by Mike Flanagan
The Last of Us (Max) - played the game, then watched the show; loved them both
Blue Eye Samurai (Netflix) - animated show about an outcast warrior out for revenge
Reacher, season 2 (Prime) - big fan of the books and I love the show
The Diplomat (Netflix) - Kerri Russell and Rufus Sewell are both great in this political thriller
Deadloch (Prime) - Australian dark comedy/crime show that I found hilarious
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, season 5 (Prime) - good final season for a very entertaining show
Jury Duty (Freevee) - very funny and innovative
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, season 2 (Paramount+)
Warrior, season 3 (Max)
The Night Agent (Netflix)

honorable mention to Quantum Leap (NBC)

DJariya (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 838 Likes on 705 Posts

I forgot about The Watchful Eye from early 2023, which aired for one season on the moribund Freeform. Neat, spooky mystery show starring Amy Acker and Warren Christie among others. Great show which would have been more successful on a different channel. Easily worth catching, the mystery is mostly wrapped up within the one season.
Old 01-02-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Tulsa S1, Sly is good in this, decent fish out of water setup (Paramount Plus)
Tulsa King actually aired 95% of it's season in 2022. Only 2 episodes aired in January 2023. Regardless, it was a really entertaining show.

Old 01-02-24, 10:36 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

So glad people put together these threads! There is so much crap being flung at the wall with streaming I end up feeling overwhelmed and don't bother watching anything unless I hear its good.

Got some good recs off these, so thanks for that!

One of the few I did watch and am sad to see not renewed is Perry Mason on HBO. But I'm a sucker for anything Perry Mason. It was a decent couple of seasons but nobody else I know had even heard it existed so not surprised.
Michael Corvin (01-06-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.