Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Archie (Britbox) -- S: Jason Isaacs as Cary Grant -- EP: Dyan Cannon, Jennifer Grant -- Premieres 12/7/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Archie (Britbox) -- S: Jason Isaacs as Cary Grant -- EP: Dyan Cannon, Jennifer Grant -- Premieres 12/7/23

Old 12-05-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

WRITTEN BY Jeff Pope

EXECUTIVE PRODUCED BY Jennifer Grant And Dyan Cannon

STARRING Jason Isaacs, Laura Aikman, Harriet Walter, Dainton Anderson, Calam Lynch, Oaklee Pendergast, And Kara Tointon

COMING TO BRITBOX IN NORTH AMERICA STARTING DECEMBER 7TH, 2023

Episodes 1&2 will be released on December 7, followed by Episodes 3&4 on December 14

About ARCHIE

BAFTA(R) Award-winning and Academy Award(R)-nominated screenwriter and executive producer Jeff Pope brings the remarkable, little-known story of the formative years of Hollywood superstar, Cary Grant to screens in this much-anticipated drama. One of the twentieth century's most iconic figures, Cary Grant touched the world with his charm, wit and grace. But few knew Archie Leach, the man behind the name, and the enormous challenges he overcame on his path to stardom. From his troubled childhood to the one overpowering lie that shaped his life, this surprising and emotional drama captures the struggles, fears, loves and losses of Archie Leach - a man who couldn't be further from the character he invented to save himself. Starring Jason Isaacs and executive produced by Jennifer Grant, Cary Grant's daughter, and Dyan Cannon, his ex-wife.

4 episode miniseries that will air over 2 weeks.

If you don't know what Britbox is, it's an ITV/BBC streaming service for American viewers. This originally aired a few weeks ago on ITV in the UK

I know the vast majority of this forum probably won't watch this because it's on another SVOD service.

I have Britbox's 3 month/$10 Black Friday promo with an extra $7.50 cash back from Rakuten. So I'm in on this for at least the next 3 months. And I will check this out. I only recently heard of it. It looks good and pretty well made. I am always interested in productions dealing with Hollywood history.

That's cool that they got Grant's ex-wife and daughter involved with this series.
Old 12-13-23, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Archie (Britbox) -- S: Jason Isaacs as Cary Grant -- EP: Dyan Cannon, Jennifer Grant -- Premieres 12/

I just watched the first two episodes. The final 2 drop this week.

Really good and it moves pretty briskly. Isaacs is good as Grant. There are some really powerful moments, especially the scene in episode 2 where he confronts his Dad about sending his Mom away to an asylum when he was a boy. He thought she was dead.

Laura Aikman is also good as Dyan Cannon. She does have a little resemblance to her at that age.

The production value of this miniseries is pretty top notch. It almost feels like a movie.

Old 12-13-23, 02:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Archie (Britbox) -- S: Jason Isaacs as Cary Grant -- EP: Dyan Cannon, Jennifer Grant -- Premieres 12/

Cool I started about 10 min of Ep 1. Will continue
Old 12-13-23, 10:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I am a HUGE Cary Grant fan so I can't wait to watch this. I was skeptical of Jason Isaacs but he looks decent enough in this promo pic. I'll have to see if he gets the voice down. Hopefully they touch on his bisexuality and relationships with Randolph Scott and Orry Kelly but from what I understand it is based on Dyan Cannon's book which glossed over it.
Old 12-13-23, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bluesix
I am a HUGE Cary Grant fan so I can't wait to watch this. I was skeptical of Jason Isaacs but he looks decent enough in this promo pic. I'll have to see if he gets the voice down. Hopefully they touch on his bisexuality and relationships with Randolph Scott and Orry Kelly but from what I understand it is based on Dyan Cannon's book which glossed over it.
Through the 2 episodes that have aired so far, Cannon asks him "Are you gay?" and he kind of brushes it off.
Old 12-17-23, 02:38 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Semantics...too bad she didn't ask him if he was 'bi' instead...maybe he would have given her an answer.
Old 01-14-24, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I finished the last 2 episodes yesterday. Overall, it was a solid miniseries. Isaacs was really good as Grant/Archie.

This miniseries basically focused on his years with Dyan Cannon and they were mounted in turmoil. Grant was controlling and a lot of times very condescending to her. But, it seemed a lot of it stemmed from his troubled relationship with his Mom.

I know the vast majority of you have no interest in getting Britbox. But, if there is an opportunity to purchase this series VOD, it's a worthy watch IMO. The 4 episodes are edited so well that I barely noticed this was 4 hours of TV.

Thumbs up from me. This miniseries alone was worth the discounted 3 month subscription. I might try 1 or 2 more shows if I have time.