Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys: Mexico -- spinoff in the works

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-28-23, 03:53 PM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

The Boys universe is expanding yet again with The Boys: Mexico, a new series offshoot from Blue Beetle writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, Deadline has learned. Diego Luna and Gael García Bernal are set to executive produce and are considering taking on acting roles though neither would be major roles, sources shared exclusively with Deadline.

Details regarding the premise are being kept under wraps.

A search is currently underway for a co-showrunner to join creator, writer and executive producer Dunnet-Alcocer, who is now working on the script. The team behind The Boys: Mexico, which will be shot in the Latin American country, is working on budgets for the new series and they have yet to begin casting, sources said.

The Mexico-set offshoot comes from the main creative auspices behind the other series in The Boys franchise, the mothership’s developer Eric Kripke and his Kripke Enterprises, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s Point Grey Pictures, Neil H. Moritz’s Original Film, Sony Pictures Television and Amazon MGM Studios. Loreli Alba is expected to oversee for Point Grey.

The Boys, based on the New York Times best-selling comic by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, shares a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes—who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians, and as revered as gods—abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. Intent on stopping the corrupt superheroes, The Boys, a group of vigilantes, continue their heroic quest to expose the truth about The Seven and Vought—the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages the superheroes and covers up their dirty secrets. It’s the seemingly powerless against the super-powerful.

Following the breakout success of The Boys, which is headed to Season 4, two spinoff series were released in 2023: the animated The Boys Presents: Diabolical, which premiered in March, and the college-set spinoff Gen V, which recently concluded its first season and has been renewed for Season 2.

The Boys: Mexico is the latest project hailing from rising star Dunnet-Alcocer, who penned the screenplay for the Warner Bros. Pictures/DC Studios superhero feature film, Blue Beetle. Most recently, he wrote the screenplay for Sony’s El Muerto from director Jonás Cuarón. The Queretaro, Mexico native also wrote and executive produced Miss Bala in 2019. Additionally, Dunnet-Alcocer is attached as screenwriter of the Universal Pictures’ reimagination of Scarface.

Luna and García Bernal are veteran actors whose careers exploded following their collaboration in the hit 2001 Spanish-language feature Y Tu Mamá También directed by Alfonso Cuarón. They have reunited multiple times since then including in Rudo y Cursi (2008) and Casa de Mi Padre (2012).

Most recently Luna joined the Star Wars universe in the Disney+ TV series Andor, a prequel to Star Wars: Rogue One. García Bernal most recently starred in the Amazon bio-drama Cassandro portraying the titular gay wrestler born Saúl Armendáriz.

The longtime friends and collaborators became producing partners in 2018 under their La Corriente del Golfo (The Gulf Stream) banner. Recent projects they produced include the aforementioned Cassandro and the series Pan y Circo hosted by Luna, both for Amazon.
https://deadline.com/2023/11/the-boy...al-1235640996/
Old 11-28-23, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: The Boys: Mexico -- spinoff in the works

I wish they'd call it Los Chavos.

All kidding aside, shouldn't they be working towards wrapping up The Boys, instead of bloating it with spinoffs like the carcass of The Walking Dead?
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (11-28-23)
Old 11-28-23, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

This would be epic! I tuned out of the main show, so maybe this one will pull me back in.
Old 11-28-23, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wish they'd call it Los Chavos.

All kidding aside, shouldn't they be working towards wrapping up The Boys, instead of bloating it with spinoffs like the carcass of The Walking Dead?
To be fair, they might be done already. Do we know for sure that this upcoming season isn't the last one? I hope they don't drag out the main series too long as it seems pretty repetitive just three seasons in.
Old 11-28-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

I think It needs to be entirely in Spanish with subtitles. I know the people who hate to read while watching TV will probably think no.
Old 11-28-23, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think It needs to be entirely in Spanish with subtitles. I know the people who hate to read while watching TV will probably think no.
Yeah that isn't gonna fly. I bet they do a mix, not unlike Blue Beetle.

Last edited by Deftones; 11-28-23 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-28-23, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

Or they can make it half-and-half like Narcos/Narcos: Mexico.
Old 11-28-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This would be epic! I tuned out of the main show, so maybe this one will pull me back in.
You ditched the main show that only has 24 episodes and is all about blood, sex and gore? And here I thought that was your cup of tea.
Old 11-29-23, 07:13 AM

Received 4,682 Likes on 3,170 Posts

You ditched the main show that only has 24 episodes and is all about blood, sex and gore? And here I thought that was your cup of tea.
He "don't like soft-ass shit."
Old 11-29-23, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I'm all for it. Love the original show and Gen V, so more in this world would be great. I'm also working my way through the comics too.
Old 11-29-23, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm all for it. Love the original show and Gen V, so more in this world would be great. I'm also working my way through the comics too.
Oh the comics are... different. The show is superior in almost every way as far as presenting the concepts.
The following users liked this post:
RocShemp (11-29-23)