Reacher (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 12/15/23

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 09:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts
Re: Reacher (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 12/15/23

“Shut up, Chad”

This is one of the few shows where the 45-50 minutes fly by.
Old 01-06-24, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 682 Posts

^Agree. When the credits start to roll, I'm always like "Wait, that was too short!"
Old 01-06-24, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Spoiler:
He left Rosco pretty cleanly last season. I don’t see anyone in the Special Investigators being dirty. They’ve hammered the point that Reacher knows his people too well and they all have a devotion to him. This isn’t exactly Shakespeare.

Agreed. Regardless of how events unfold, I imagine this season ends with Reacher walking off down the road by himself.
Old 01-08-24, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,344 Likes on 903 Posts

S1 was great, S2 is terrible. I can't be the only one thinking that. It misses almost everything that made S1 good. I agree completely with this:

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-08-24 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 777 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Reacher’s homemade silencer.
I was getting irritated and about to cry "bullshit" until Reacher said he couldn't believe the guy fell for that. Well played, show.
Old 01-08-24, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 463 Posts

I’ve been happy with s2
Old 01-08-24, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,144 Posts

I am thoroughly enjoying Season 2. I've read all of the Reacher books but I barely remember this one. That said, they definitely are formulaic (Reacher wanders into a small town, stumbles into some massive crime organization, kills everyone without being killed, nails the female lead and leaves). There are a few that mix it up and this is one of those, involving his past team.

I don't agree with that review - I think the fight choreography is fine. That's a weird thing to harp on. And one of the big points they always make about the military police in the books is that these are police officers but the people they arrest are almost all trained fighters too. So of course they have to be a formidable bunch. It's nice to have Reacher bounce off people he has an existing relationship with rather than having to watch every step of a friendship/relationship grow throughout a season again.

Reacher buying new clothes happens ALL THE TIME in the books. If he goes two-three days in a story, he gets new clothes. Usually at a Goodwill-type store but again, that's part of the character. In reality he'd have an even harder time finding clothes in the books (he's even bigger there) but it's never an issue.

If they had just gone right into adapting another of the same kind of book that they used in Season 2, they'd be accused of repetition. Because I love the books, but they are repetitious as hell.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Cellar Door (01-08-24), The Cow (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
S1 was great, S2 is terrible. I can't be the only one thinking that. It misses almost everything that made S1 good. I agree completely with this:

That guy's been on the job for a two and a half weeks and 80% of his articles are "Today’s Wordle #[000] Hints, Clues And Answer For [Day and Date]. Another 10% are bitching about Reacher and Fargo and 5% are "Epic releases [X] game for free today." Did Forbes turn into a content farm?
Old 01-08-24, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Forbes is not the only one. Screenrant has pretty much the same criticism, except the author chooses to wrap it up with "let's hope S3 is better".Not to mention a bunch of reddit threads and YT videos with similar "S2 sucks" complaints.

https://screenrant.com/reacher-seaso...missing-great/

I was coming here expecting glorious rants about how bad Reacher S2 is, and it turns out this thread is just as disappointing as the show.
Old 01-08-24, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 783 Likes on 517 Posts

Yeah, I could refute most of his points (he flat out misses on several), but not worth the time. That's just the typical "try to come up with an opposing view" clickbait article. No problem if this isn't someone's cup of tea, but that article just comes off as trying to be different to get clicks (and it, of course, worked ).

Others seem like they are trying to take it waaaay to seriously.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe this is part of the problem:

" I've read a handful of the Jack Reacher books, and in general the "Reacher stumbles on a criminal conspiracy" stories are always better than the "Reacher helps out an old military colleague" stories."[/i]

Plus they failed to re-create anything remotely as good as the Reacher/Finlay/Roscoe chemistry. The characters in S2 are all blah except for Neagly and Russo, including the forgettable villain.
Old 01-08-24, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow
Yeah, I could refute most of his points (he flat out misses on several), but not worth the time. That's just the typical "try to come up with an opposing view" clickbait article. No problem if this isn't someone's cup of tea, but that article just comes off as trying to be different to get clicks (and it, of course, worked ).

Others seem like they are trying to take it waaaay to seriously.
It's not just Forbes.
Old 01-08-24, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,144 Posts

Maybe this is part of the problem:

" I've read a handful of the Jack Reacher books, and in general the "Reacher stumbles on a criminal conspiracy" stories are always better than the "Reacher helps out an old military colleague" stories."

Plus they failed to re-create anything remotely as good as the Reacher/Finlay/Roscoe chemistry. The characters in S2 are all blah except for Neagly and Russo, including the forgettable villain.
I think all of his team members are great. Thoroughly enjoying their chemistry and all of the history. It’s almost a “prequel” too of the Reacher character.

And I still can’t believe anyone who has read the books can complain about the clothes thing. It’s so central to the character and happens constantly in these tiny podunk towns that wouldn’t have a single thing to fit this monster. That’s just one example of the criticisms in that article that miss the mark.
Old 01-08-24, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought S1 was great, maybe my expectations were too high, but S2 isn't nearly the same quality.

One more thing, I read the dude put on 30 pounds for S2. He doesn't look better, he just looks... stiff.

I didn't give a hoot about the clothes thing.

Also, I realize that "attention to details", and "you don't mess with the special investigators" is a running gag kinda thing, but to me, it's just cringe.

Maybe I should do weed before watching this, it might brighten my outlook.
Old 01-08-24, 09:27 PM

I’ll agree with that. S2 just imported preexisting relationships that we never really saw being built up. The flashbacks have been limited. S1 required new organic relationships be built because they were strangers.

Last edited by Kdogg; 01-09-24 at 06:13 AM.
eXcentris (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I’ll agree with that. S2 just imported preexisting relationships that we never really saw being built up. The flash lacks have been limited. S1 required new organic relationships be built because they were strangers.
Yes! You nailed it.
Old 01-09-24, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In a nutshell, to me, loner/fish out of water Reacher in a small town is more interesting than Reacher in NYC with his pals.Since this is supposed to be like the 11-12th book, non readers would know nothing about Reacher's Special Investigator team so it's hard to care about any of them.
Old 01-09-24, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I am thoroughly enjoying Season 2. I've read all of the Reacher books but I barely remember this one. That said, they definitely are formulaic (Reacher wanders into a small town, stumbles into some massive crime organization, kills everyone without being killed, nails the female lead and leaves). There are a few that mix it up and this is one of those, involving his past team.

I don't agree with that review - I think the fight choreography is fine. That's a weird thing to harp on. And one of the big points they always make about the military police in the books is that these are police officers but the people they arrest are almost all trained fighters too. So of course they have to be a formidable bunch. It's nice to have Reacher bounce off people he has an existing relationship with rather than having to watch every step of a friendship/relationship grow throughout a season again.

Reacher buying new clothes happens ALL THE TIME in the books. If he goes two-three days in a story, he gets new clothes. Usually at a Goodwill-type store but again, that's part of the character. In reality he'd have an even harder time finding clothes in the books (he's even bigger there) but it's never an issue.

If they had just gone right into adapting another of the same kind of book that they used in Season 2, they'd be accused of repetition. Because I love the books, but they are repetitious as hell.
The clothes are one legitimate point in that review. I am 6'4" and finding new clothes in my size is a major PITA. As a result, I wear my old clothes until they are unwearable. They don't go to Goodwill, they go to the trash. I rarely have a choice, it is more "do you have anything in my size?"
Old 01-09-24, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts

Season 2 is far superior to 1 IMHO.

I have no issues with it with the exception of what happened at the end of this episode. That was a bummer.
Old 01-09-24, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,214 Posts

In a nutshell, to me, loner/fish out of water Reacher in a small town is more interesting than Reacher in NYC with his pals.Since this is supposed to be like the 11-12th book, non readers would know nothing about Reacher's Special Investigator team so it's hard to care about any of them.
I do prefer loner, wandering Reacher over Reacher with a team but I’m still really enjoying him in season 2. Having him stumble onto a murder/conspiracy in another small southern town immediately after we saw it in season 1 would feel like the same old same old. Might as well expand on his story a little more. They can always go back to nomad Reacher for season 3.

Yeah, there are things like Reachers clothing and how he stays ripped wandering from town to town and eating at greasy diner’s all the time. But those are far and few between and really shouldn’t affect one’s enjoyment of the show.
Old 01-09-24, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 693 Likes on 414 Posts

I like both season equally. But I am weird, so...
Old 01-09-24, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 614 Posts

I'm interested in Reacher and his pals because I like the look into his past with his special investigators team. We only met Neagley from season 1, so to have more of her and the whole team is a bonus.
Draven (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 682 Posts

Since this is supposed to be like the 11-12th book, non readers would know nothing about Reacher's Special Investigator team so it's hard to care about any of them.
But in the books, at this point, the reader doesn't really know anything about the Special Investigators either. Most Reacher books are set after his military service. I think there was one book before this one that is set when he's an MP, but not with the Special Investigators group.

Personally, I think this season has done a good job of introducing the characters and showing the camaraderie between them. The scenes a couple of episodes ago when they're sitting together in the diner planning strategy and talking about music was great. In every episode, they're frequently good-naturedly ribbing each other in a way that feels natural. I'm finding it all very entertaining. I recently rewatched season 1, which I also really liked, and I don't see this season as being very different in terms of storytelling quality.
Draven (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 811 Posts

The only thing I don't like about this season is that I'm getting sick of seeing Patrick play generic military/security turned bad guy. It's literally the only role I see him in these days and it has lost the appeal of seeing the T-1000 be a bad guy in new projects. Get someone else to play that role, please.

Otherwise, (as a non book reader) I'm enjoying the season quite a bit.
Old 01-09-24, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
But in the books, at this point, the reader doesn't really know anything about the Special Investigators either. Most Reacher books are set after his military service. I think there was one book before this one that is set when he's an MP, but not with the Special Investigators group.

Personally, I think this season has done a good job of introducing the characters and showing the camaraderie between them. The scenes a couple of episodes ago when they're sitting together in the diner planning strategy and talking about music was great. In every episode, they're frequently good-naturedly ribbing each other in a way that feels natural. I'm finding it all very entertaining. I recently rewatched season 1, which I also really liked, and I don't see this season as being very different in terms of storytelling quality.
The point where I agree with eXcentris is that the viewer was just dropped into these relationships. The closes thing we've seen into building anything was with Russo and well..... I like S2 but can see how this can fell like a cheat especially since we've only known Reacher as the loner that didn't even know what was going on with his own brother. Now all of a sudden he has this drop in family that's he's basically ignored for years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.