Reacher (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 12/15/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reacher (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 12/15/23

Old 01-09-24, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Re: Reacher (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 12/15/23

Originally Posted by Kdogg
The point where I agree with eXcentris is that the viewer was just dropped into these relationships. The closes thing we've seen into building anything was with Russo and well..... I like S2 but can see how this can fell like a cheat especially since we've only known Reacher as the loner that didn't even know what was going on with his own brother. Now all of a sudden he has this drop in family that's he's basically ignored for years.
But none of this is new information. We know from Season 1 that he lead a team. And that he's been completely disconnected from everyone since then. Now here's the team. And we got flashbacks this season that literally started with them all meeting each other. What's the problem? If we'd never heard that he was on this team while in the military, maybe the complaint would make more sense.

My wife hasn't read any of the books and has had no issues following along.
Old 01-09-24, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
But none of this is new information. We know from Season 1 that he lead a team. And that he's been completely disconnected from everyone since then. Now here's the team. And we got flashbacks this season that literally started with them all meeting each other. What's the problem? If we'd never heard that he was on this team while in the military, maybe the complaint would make more sense.

My wife hasn't read any of the books and has had no issues following along.
It's not a matter of following along. The show is fairly simple. It's just nice to see the dynamics being built as opposed to "here you go." It helps the audience become vested in the characters. It applies to all shows from Hawaii 5-0 to Supernatural to The Sopranos. For Reacher it helps that the group has good chemistry but that's not a hundred percent replacement. It's more about how the story is crafted. Also as we've seen the Special Investors were a red herring. They were never the target.
Old 01-09-24, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not a matter of following along. The show is fairly simple. It's just nice to see the dynamics being built as opposed to "here you go." It helps the audience become vested in the characters. It applies to all shows from Hawaii 5-0 to Supernatural to The Sopranos. For Reacher it helps that the group has good chemistry but that's not a hundred percent replacement. It's more about how the story is crafted. Also as we've seen the Special Investors were a red herring. They were never the target.
I guess I'm struggling with the idea that it doesn't work if characters that already know the main character from the past come back into his life. Again, almost every book in the series is exactly like Season 1. Beat by beat by beat - comes to town, big conspiracy, kills people, sleeps with the one woman he meets, leaves town. We already saw that. Now we see how he acts with people who knew him differently, can call him out without getting their heads put through the wall and get him to share more emotions than he would with people he just met.

I mean, a funeral scene would be meaningless to him for people he just met. But former members of his team - that gives him something to react and motivate himself with that's different than Season 1 (which is basically "Reacher doesn't like bullies"). I'm sure Season 3 will see him back on the road, by himself and stumbling into another conspiracy.

Though it would be interesting if they did a "first person" version - there are 5 or 6 Reacher books written in the first person (including the very first one). It's a little weird but might be interesting to hear his inner monologue.
Old 01-09-24, 08:16 PM

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

I guess I'm struggling with the idea that it doesn't work if characters that already know the main character from the past come back into his life. Again, almost every book in the series is exactly like Season 1. Beat by beat by beat - comes to town, big conspiracy, kills people, sleeps with the one woman he meets, leaves town. We already saw that. Now we see how he acts with people who knew him differently, can call him out without getting their heads put through the wall and get him to share more emotions than he would with people he just met.

I mean, a funeral scene would be meaningless to him for people he just met. But former members of his team - that gives him something to react and motivate himself with that's different than Season 1 (which is basically "Reacher doesn't like bullies"). I'm sure Season 3 will see him back on the road, by himself and stumbling into another conspiracy.

Though it would be interesting if they did a "first person" version - there are 5 or 6 Reacher books written in the first person (including the very first one). It's a little weird but might be interesting to hear his inner monologue.
I haven't read any of the books. Is this the first time that anyone except Neagley has shown up from the Special Investigators or is this the first reunion?
Old 01-09-24, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 875 Posts

S1 has a charm that S2 simply coudn't replicate. Reacher with his pals in NYC becomes generic and derivative. It's hard to care for the Reacher bunch.

Here, this is the Reacher I wanna see. Also, it wasn't my car but thanks! :

Old 01-09-24, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't read any of the books. Is this the first time that anyone except Neagley has shown up from the Special Investigators or is this the first reunion?
I think a few pop up from time to time. I really don’t remember this particular book well besides the helicopter death at the beginning.
Old 01-09-24, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts

I don't get the complaints. It's the same as with any movie/show where it begins with an already established crew. We get some lines and scenes of interaction to establish/clarify the dynamics and they all behave accordingly (unless a plot twist deems otherwise) as the story progresses.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Draven (01-09-24), stvn1974 (01-09-24)
Old 01-10-24, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm really enjoying S2 as well. No issues for me, except that ending.
The following users liked this post:
Draven (01-16-24)
Old 01-10-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I thought S1 was great, maybe my expectations were too high, but S2 isn't nearly the same quality.

One more thing, I read the dude put on 30 pounds for S2. He doesn't look better, he just looks... stiff.

I didn't give a hoot about the clothes thing.

Also, I realize that "attention to details", and "you don't mess with the special investigators" is a running gag kinda thing, but to me, it's just cringe.
I agree with all of this. I've read most of the books, and I liked S1 WAY more than this season. I don't like the "Fantastic Four" team approach at all. I'm struggling to get through it, and I definitely agree with this:

What's Going On With 'Reacher' Season 2 Fight Choreography?
Old 01-10-24, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am enjoying Season 2 way more than Season 1. My wife and I binged the first 4 episodes and they just flew by.
Old 01-10-24, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 215 Posts

I bet half of the complaints about the season would disappear if the season was available all at once. This is an airport book in TV form. It’s not meant to be discussed week by week.
Old 01-11-24, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 237 Posts

I wonder if they flipped Season 2 then season 1?

Team then loner?

What folks would have thought about that.
Old 01-11-24, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,068 Likes on 847 Posts

Probably wouldn't be the hit it is today
Old 01-11-24, 10:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

“It won’t be forever. We just need to kill a few more people”

Can’t wait for the finale.
Old 01-12-24, 09:53 PM

Received 880 Likes on 577 Posts

Nice set up.

Great use of a Heart song.

Can it be next Thursday already?

Old 01-15-24, 04:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Ritchson put on IG that they started shooting season 3
Old 01-16-24, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"You yell or make noise, I'll tear your trachea out and your last thought will be 'holy shit he really did it.'" - I literally laughed out loud. What a great show.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Fist of Doom Jr (01-16-24), Goldberg74 (01-19-24)
Old 01-16-24, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 295 Likes on 187 Posts

Been binging this, caught up to watch to the season finale this week. Good stuff, but I think I like the 1st season slightly more. Glad that it's been renewed though
Old 01-16-24, 10:33 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Im enjoying s2, but like s1 better. Reacher works better when people dont know about him being an oddball. This season, everyone knows everything he is gonna do and know his quirks.

And i was disappointed that, this wasnt going to be a straight continuation with s1 cast. Reacher, Finlay , Conklin had great chemistry. This season, not so much.
eXcentris (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 06:24 PM

Okay everyone…

EPISODE 8 IS UP AND READY TO VIEW!!!

(… but I’ve got a few things to do first, darn it!)
Old 01-18-24, 06:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was good, especially the first half.

It was obvious it was coming, but I still loved that he killed Langston by throwing him from the helicopter
Old 01-18-24, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 756 Likes on 499 Posts

Decent wrap up of the plot, although it happened rather quick into the episode. Good ending, I don't know if they knew there was going to be more seasons or not at the time, but I do like that they ended it clean.
Old 01-18-24, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MrX
It was obvious it was coming, but I still loved that he killed Langston by throwing him from the helicopter
”You know what they say about assumptions…”

Good end to a good season. I put this just a little under season one, but I quite enjoyed Reacher having a posse… no, having a <dom>family.</dom>

The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
[email protected] (01-29-24), GoldenJCJ (01-21-24)
Old 01-18-24, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 644 Likes on 391 Posts

I enjoyed it and will be buying the hopefully released 4K set if released. The first season got one after awhile.
Old 01-19-24, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

I've read nearly all of the Jack Reacher books between the airing of the first and second seasons. First, Lee Child is a shit writer. Just terrible. If you took a drink every time he describes something as average by comparing it to two extremes (e.g. It wasn't a four-star hotel, but it wasn't the worst place Reacher had ever stayed in., The guy in the corner wasn't overweight, but he also wasn't a string bean.,etc.), you'd die before you got through a chapter.

BUT, he is very, very good at applying a formulaic approach to a plot and putting together the literary equivalent of what you'd get at a well-run McDonalds. And I have no idea why the writers decided to change so many plot details from the source material for season two. Especially since when I was reading Bad Luck and Trouble, I thought to myself that it'd make a fantastic season of the show.

In season one, they hewed pretty close to the book on plot, but significantly improved the characters, especially Reacher himself. In the books, Reacher comes off less as a real person than as a walking cliche'd plot device with a fair amount of inconsistency. Both the writers and Ritchson deserve a lot of credit for fleshing him out and making the on-screen version much more compelling.

In season two, they did an ok job with most of the characters, but it's like they looked at the book's plot and said, 'Yeah, that's not far enough over the top. We need to go more ridiculous.' And the last thing an adaption of any Reacher book needs is 'more ridiculous.' Lee Child packs in plenty of that. I probably would've enjoyed this season considerably more if I hadn't read the book, as I kept noticing changes small and large, and each and every one seemed to be firmly in the direction of stupider and more unrealistic. Which, again, Lee Child makes them plenty stupid and unrealistic. If anything, the writers should be going in the opposite direction.

Regardless, I enjoyed parts of this season, but overall it was a letdown and I did hate aspects of the finale. And I agree with the criticisms of the fight choreography. It was decent in some scenes, but it was also terrible in some.

I'm still in for season 3 and curious where they go. There are around thirty books now and I don't think any characters except for Reacher and one of his old military commanders appear in more than three. There are only around half a dozen to a dozen that appear in more than one.

"You yell or make noise, I'll tear your trachea out and your last thought will be 'holy shit he really did it.'" - I literally laughed out loud. What a great show.
Yeah, that was a fantastic line and delivered perfectly. Probably the funniest of the series so far.
GoldenJCJ (01-21-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.