Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E10) - "Hegemony" - 08/10/23

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 04:16 PM

Received 883 Likes on 580 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S2E10) - "Hegemony" - 08/10/23

Originally Posted by Noonan
Don't get me wrong, I like the episodes with the Alien vibe but it doesn't make sense. Maybe if what we see as gorn were some infiltration species that the real Gorn send in first thin out populations like in The Eternals.
Kind of like the Dominion in DS9, the Vorta were the brains and the Jem’Hadar were the muscle while the Changlings ran the show.
Old 08-15-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I knew there’d be a cliffhanger but I’m still argggh, we have to wait a year or so for more! I’m generally glad fewer shows are doing bloated 23 episode seasons any more but I wish this season was longer than 10, it’s the best Trek since DS9 ended.

…one thing I’m quite enjoying about Anson Mount’s performance is his willingness to look scared or paralysed by indecision rather than firmly in control at every second, it really humanises him. This has been such a cracker second season and nearly every character got a moment or episode to shine. Not wild about Carol Kane but a certain engineer’s introduction may mean she won’t stick around long in S3….
Actually, for me, they took it just a little too far in this episode. Don't get me wrong I've absolutely loved Anson Mount's performance as Pike in SNW. Love it. But this season they've really kind of nerfed him just a tad. He's had a lot less to do this season (which is for personal reasons so that's great). But he also just hasn't had as many badass/leadership moments as he had in the first season.

Just compare his look of absolute bewilderment on this cliffhanger with Commander Riker's look of absolute determination in the Best of Both Worlds. Just a nitpick from me but that last look just didn't sit right with me.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Now you young whippersnappers know how we old people felt in June 1990 when Best of Both Worlds Part 1 was aired.

Wow, this was some tense TV. So well done. I love how they are slowly introducing iconic characters. Only 3 main characters left: Bones, Sulu and Chekov.

Edit: If I had known about this cliffhanger last week I could have asked these guys what happens next!
As if. That wait was from June to September. Just 3 months. (Mine was just one day since I was catching it afterschool on syndication and even that wait was excruciating). This wait will be one year minimum and who knows how long it really will be with the strikes and the belt tightening of studios. The view of streaming being some kind of panacea is over. So who knows how the TV landscape will be changed coming out of this. Either way the wait for this resolution really sucks. I knew it was coming but still. I'm actually suggesting the friends that watch this show to just skip the finale for now and catch it before the next season.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Well, they say the Gorn Chapel encountered was putting in Command Codes so that says something... But yeah, I don't like how they've changed the Gorn and have just rehashed the better parts of the "ALIEN" franchise and painted "Star Trek" on it.

I mean shit, to me the Green Lumbering Gorn is ICONIC. This new "Great Value "Xenomorph Flavored" Gorn is not my fave...
That's an interesting take coming from you. Aren't you the one that's usually saying how Trekkers need to get that stick out of their ass and come on board with nuTrek? And didn't you just start watching TOS?
Old 08-15-23, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've generally not really agreed with some folks that have commented how knowing who ends up on TOS ruins this show since they have built in plot armor. Generally I think there's plenty of stories to tell between now in the SNW timeline and when we get to TOS.

But...that being said, this episode, for me, that plot armor really stripped all the tension away in all the scenes. Did Chapel survive? Yup. Will Pike survive? Of course. Will they find the missing crew members next season. Yup. I guess the only members of the cast that don't have plot armor at this point are Pelia, Ortegas and La'an. Still a great episode. But all the tension is gone.
Old 08-15-23, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 578 Likes on 404 Posts

They made a deal out of this being Ortegas' first away mission... I'm betting she doesn't make it.
Old 08-15-23, 08:53 AM

Received 883 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
They made a deal out of this being Ortegas' first away mission... I'm betting she doesn't make it.
But she flies the ship.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (08-16-23)
Old 08-15-23, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 578 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
But she flies the ship.
So does a certain swashbuckling helmsman.
Old 08-15-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

I also thought Ortega was toast when she was asked to join the away team.
Old 08-15-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Ortegas has a fanbase. They are still waiting for her episode. Killing her would cause rioting.
tanman (08-15-23)
Old 08-16-23, 07:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 609 Likes on 349 Posts

Well, they say the Gorn Chapel encountered was putting in Command Codes so that says something... But yeah, I don't like how they've changed the Gorn and have just rehashed the better parts of the "ALIEN" franchise and painted "Star Trek" on it.

I mean shit, to me the Green Lumbering Gorn is ICONIC. This new "Great Value "Xenomorph Flavored" Gorn is not my fave...
It's like the contrast between Romero's slow, lumbering zombies and the newer fast zombies. They're both scary, but I think there's a better buildup of dread with the slower mindless enemy that you can outrun, but that simply doesn't stop and if it catches you, you're toast.

Originally Posted by tanman
I've generally not really agreed with some folks that have commented how knowing who ends up on TOS ruins this show since they have built in plot armor. Generally I think there's plenty of stories to tell between now in the SNW timeline and when we get to TOS.

But...that being said, this episode, for me, that plot armor really stripped all the tension away in all the scenes. Did Chapel survive? Yup. Will Pike survive? Of course. Will they find the missing crew members next season. Yup. I guess the only members of the cast that don't have plot armor at this point are Pelia, Ortegas and La'an. Still a great episode. But all the tension is gone.
I initially thought that too, but there are plenty of characters we care about who could be at risk, e.g.Captain Patel. I wasn't sure about her at first, but now I'm invested and her fate isn't certain.

Ortegas has a fanbase. They are still waiting for her episode. Killing her would cause rioting.
I'd be writing some strongly worded letters if they killed her off. I love Ortegas.
Old 08-16-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Enterprise introduced the fast Gorn-moving, didn't they?
Giantrobo (08-20-23)
Old 08-19-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I didn’t even know this game existed let alone this commercial. However, given the discussion n this thread I found it quite funny. I however did not find it funny Google must have been tracking my inter webs search history to recommend it…

The following 3 users liked this post by Superman07:
Bandoman (08-21-23), tanman (08-19-23), The Cow (08-19-23)
Old 08-19-23, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

^^ I had not seen that commercial before either. Love it!
Old 08-19-23, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is absolute gold.

WTF is that game? Looks great. The only tie in I remember was a small downloadable arcade style game that tied in to Star Trek 2009.
Old 08-19-23, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 759 Likes on 501 Posts

^^ Star Trek (2013 video game)

I don't remember it either. Reviews are pretty terrible.
Old 08-20-23, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I remember the game but not that commercial.
Old 09-18-23, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

We got a little behind but finally finished this off and that's a crackerjack for sure.

I can accept the one Gorn we saw in TOS being a different sub-species, we already saw that kind of thing with the Xindi on Enterprise so it could work here.

And yes we know Chapel would have survived but it's more about seeing how Spock reacts to their situation.

Very glad to see Scotty but he was way too young. This is only 5-6 years before TOS where Scotty was always assumed to be James Doohan's age at the start (44) and this actor is only 29. Same issue with Robert April (yeah, he's black now, whatever, but he's way too young also).

Anyways, this is some damn fine Trek. I mean this show and Picard S3 were some of best Trek the franchise has seen in its entire run.
Bandoman (09-18-23)
Old 09-19-23, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We got a little behind but finally finished this off and that's a crackerjack for sure.

I can accept the one Gorn we saw in TOS being a different sub-species, we already saw that kind of thing with the Xindi on Enterprise so it could work here.

And yes we know Chapel would have survived but it's more about seeing how Spock reacts to their situation.

Very glad to see Scotty but he was way too young. This is only 5-6 years before TOS where Scotty was always assumed to be James Doohan's age at the start (44) and this actor is only 29. Same issue with Robert April (yeah, he's black now, whatever, but he's way too young also).

Anyways, this is some damn fine Trek. I mean this show and Picard S3 were some of best Trek the franchise has seen in its entire run.
Just chalk it all up to this being part of a third Trek timeline.

Old 11-14-23, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Pre-production for season 3 of Strange New Worlds restarted on November 14, with production set to start on December 11.
Some the VFX may already be done as well:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/11/13/sta...n-on-season-3/
Old 11-14-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Just chalk it all up to this being part of a third Trek timeline.

Which everything having alternate timelines and multiveres I just toss it in with another timeline. So it is canon.....with that timeline. I'm not going to worry about canon as much when the show is really good.