Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

Old 06-04-24, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 517 Likes on 361 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount +) -- The 5th and Final season

Originally Posted by tanman
But I still don't understand why Craft is so important. As much as I love the connection I agree that it feels shoehorned in. I don't think Calypso needed a tie in. I think it stood on it's own perfectly fine as a What If? episode. They just didn't need to destroy Disco and it could have worked just fine thousands of years. But now this entire process was put in motion including a red directive just to put Disco in a place where the computer's AI could fall in love and then lose one soldier? Really it was worth all that? I still feel like I'm missing something.
Craft wasn't the reason Discovery was there. His arrival did not change the orders for Zora to hold position. Otherwise, Zora would have been able to take him home to Alcor 4. The events of Calypso were just something that happened while Zora and Discovery were waiting.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 10:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Generally OK ending... My biggest gripe is I dont actually think they showed how powerful/dangerous the device actually is, rather than just talk about it. Seemed extremely underwhelming - especially for a finale.
The ending scenes with Zora and Discovery kind of redeemed the episode a bit, but the whole season, while much better than anything from seasons 3 or 4, was ok at best. Glad this is over, and hoping they introduce something better to the ST universe.
Old 06-04-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I think that when they made "Calypso," that that they had a sort of vague idea about sending the series into the far future at a time when the Federation had collapsed and the galaxy had fallen into barbarism (sort like Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels). The Craft character also has some similarities to Book -- possibly an early form of that character being set up as a romantic interest for Michael? Makes me wonder if what was going in "Calypso" eventually evolved into the third season's time jump and the "Burn."
Old 06-04-24, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,043 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Craft wasn't the reason Discovery was there. His arrival did not change the orders for Zora to hold position. Otherwise, Zora would have been able to take him home to Alcor 4. The events of Calypso were just something that happened while Zora and Discovery were waiting.
Ok. So we don't know. I thought I was missing something. Calypso works perfectly fine on it's own. But now with them tying in literally the last scene of the entire series to this short it makes it feel like it should have a bigger role in the series. Like it's something important.
Old 06-05-24, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They name-checked Craft within the episode, so it seems like he is, somehow, relevant to whatever Discovery is doing in the forty-third century.

Maybe he's a descendant of Michael and Cleveland?
Old 06-05-24, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

See? Instead of tying it up nicely they just raise more questions. I still like that scene but I don't see the need to tie it in. The short worked perfectly fine without having to tie the show proper to it.
Old 06-05-24, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 517 Likes on 361 Posts

If he was that important or relevant then why would Zora send him on a shuttle that might not even make it?
Old 06-05-24, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 194 Likes on 144 Posts

If he was that important or relevant then why would Zora send him on a shuttle that might not even make it?
You could say that he was so important that they exiled Zora to the location to wait centuries to nurse him back to health. She and Discover were the only viable option. She makes sure he lives and is given the chance to continue on to do whatever was so important. We've seen what happened to the Federalization once so she was a more reliable (even a backup) plan. Not saying I like it but I can construct a scenario. I would have preferred not to though.
Old 06-05-24, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts

Watched the last two episodes last night. Needed this thread to pick up on the connections since I never watched Enterprise or the short the end apparently ties into. What a strange way to end it. I guess they really wanted to connect it to that short, but I can't imagine many watchers would have already known about it beforehand.

Why would a ship with both a computer AI and the spore drive be decommissioned ever? It doesn't seem like either were ever replicated.
tanman (06-06-24)
Old 06-06-24, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Daniels was a character on Enterprise that was a time traveling agent trying to stop the temporal cold war from igniting. On Enterprise there was a future guy who gave orders to the Suliban who were enemies of the federation. Daniels was trying to counter them.

I may be in the minority but I really disliked the temporal cold war and all the time travel stuff surrounding it. It just puts emphasis on the plot instead of the characters and the logic doesn't really hold water. I much prefer my Star Trek time traveling stories to be contained in one episode. Like Cause and Effect or All Good Things. They're better used as a plot device to serve the overall story and characters. It's just opening a bag of worms if you try to make it a long running plot. Too many contradictions and plot holes.
Old 06-10-24, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

Daniels was a character on Enterprise that was a time traveling agent trying to stop the temporal cold war from igniting. On Enterprise there was a future guy who gave orders to the Suliban who were enemies of the federation. Daniels was trying to counter them.
And per Brandon Braga, "future guy" was actually a future Captain Archer, so Daniels wasn't supposed to wind up as a "good" guy in the end.
Old 06-10-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And per Brandon Braga, "future guy" was actually a future Captain Archer, so Daniels wasn't supposed to wind up as a "good" guy in the end.

Future version of Archer is a different person?
Old 06-10-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I may be in the minority but I really disliked the temporal cold war and all the time travel stuff surrounding it. It just puts emphasis on the plot instead of the characters and the logic doesn't really hold water. I much prefer my Star Trek time traveling stories to be contained in one episode. Like Cause and Effect or All Good Things. They're better used as a plot device to serve the overall story and characters. It's just opening a bag of worms if you try to make it a long running plot. Too many contradictions and plot holes.
The one-offs are the best. Technically, Star Trek has a multiverse, yet it's good when its used as a one-off. Love a lot of the time travel episodes and it never felt too overdone or heavy.
Old 06-19-24, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That was the plan for season 5 but since that never happened it's never been cannonized. So as it is now it could be anyone.
Old 06-19-24, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts

Binged the final season over the last two days. I liked it enough. I do think it's the weakest of the previous four, which I seem to be in the minority in liking. I thought Rayner was badass but I couldn't stand Moll. She reminded me of Mila Kunis, which I guess, I also don't care for.
lisadoris (06-19-24)
Old 06-19-24, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was the plan for season 5 but since that never happened it's never been cannonized. So as it is now it could be anyone.
It's a crying shame that it took so long for Enterprise to find its footing and then almost immediately got the rug pulled out from under it.

Would have loved to have seen stuff like the Romulan War happen, Starfleet rolling out more ships (Challenger, Discover, Atlantis, and Endeavour?)
tanman (06-19-24)
Old 06-19-24, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to mention the badass enterprise NX refit.

Last edited by tanman; 06-19-24 at 10:02 PM.
Josh-da-man (06-20-24)