Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Goliath (Paramount +/Showtime) -- 3-part documentary on NBA star Wilt Chamberlain

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Goliath (Paramount +/Showtime) -- 3-part documentary on NBA star Wilt Chamberlain

Old 07-17-23, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

GOLIATH is a three-part documentary series examining the historic life, career and impact of Wilt Chamberlain, one of the greatest and most misunderstood athletes of all time. Utilizing groundbreaking artificial intelligence to recreate Chamberlain’s voice to narrate his own words and archival footage provided by the Wilt Chamberlain Estate, GOLIATH tells the definitive story of Chamberlain’s remarkable life and how he fits into the fabric of American history. The series premieres on Friday, July 14 on demand and on streaming platforms for Paramount+ with SHOWTIME

So this premiered last week. All 3 parts are now available.

I watched the 1st part last night. Lots of amazing footage and good interviews with journalists, Wilt's surviving family and friends.

Pretty amazing how Wilt dealt with being teased for his height and also I had no idea he had a speech impediment. In interviews I've seen with him, he sounds really articulate.

It is a little weird that they used AI to recreate Wilt's voice for some of the narration. But, it sounds good.
Old 07-17-23, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,381 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Re: Goliath (Paramount +/Showtime) -- 3-part documentary on NBA star Wilt Chamberlain

I need to watch that. His frosty relationship to Kansas was always a weird thing that none of the fans (at least those my age) ever really understood. The official story was always that he felt embarrassed that he didn't win a championship for Kansas and lost that legendary 3OT to UNC in 1957. The suspected real reason was that people thought he was treated terribly there by racists. It was a shame because he didn't get celebrated like Jordan at UNC or Kareem at UCLA. Fortunately, for some reason, he finally made up with the school and came back for a number retirement or something of the sort, like a year before he suddenly and unexpectedly died.
Old 07-18-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Goliath (Paramount +/Showtime) -- 3-part documentary on NBA star Wilt Chamberlain

It was a good watch. I watched it all on the Showtime app.
Old 07-22-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I finished this last night. Overall, it was a really good watch.

They did go into the 20,000 lovers thing. From the way it sounded in the episode, Wilt greatly exaggerated it to help sell his books and it was pushed by his publisher. His family thought he was nuts to do it, but he went with it and it ended up hurting his reputation. Especially when the book came out around the time Magic Johnson announced he had HIV.

Rather than ending it on a somber note when they briefly touched on his death, I thought it was nice that they went back to 1998 and showed Wilt getting his jersey retired by KU. He really thought he let the school and state down when they lost that game decades ago. It was nice seeing how they showed respect for him.

Old 07-22-23, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

I'd watch this but it seems like it's just a fluff piece (no pun intended). I don't know if any of you read Elvira's recent memoir, but she had some salacious stories to tell about 'ol Wilt.

Old 07-22-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd watch this but it seems like it's just a fluff piece (no pun intended). I don't know if any of you read Elvira's recent memoir, but she had some salacious stories to tell about 'ol Wilt.
Well, if you're not a basketball fan or a fan of basketball history, then this film is likely not for you. The vast majority was about his life and basketball career.

They did go a little into his personal life. Wilt loved women and loved sex. And he had no interest in a monogamous relationship and the film talked to some of his friends who implied that he ended up being lonely late in his life.