Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Deadloch (Amazon)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-23, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 585 Likes on 423 Posts
Deadloch (Amazon)

I don't frequent this forum much, so apologies if the thread title doesn't have the "correct" format, but surprised to find that there's no thread on this.

A comedy crime drama from Australia (Tasmania), I have enjoyed the hell out of it so far. One episode to go; I didn't realize that Amazon was releasing them weekly, I started it thinking the whole season was there, so disappointed to find out last night that I needed to wait a few days for the final episode!

Anyone else watching?
The following users liked this post:
BDB (07-06-23)
Old 07-06-23, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Deadloch (Amazon)

I'm watching it as well. I'll be honest, many of the characters are so unlikable and many don't act like "normal" people. It feels that the characters do things to just annoy the audience (i'm looking at you Cath). Seriously, the Coroner and the Chief would have been replaced in real life. However, I do enjoy Big Eyes and Dulce. Everyone else is just nails on chalkboard bad. I'm going to finish it now cause I'm curious to see how they wrap it up. Eddie's story about her partner getting eaten by a crocodile that caused everyone in the police to not hate her didn't elicit any emotion other than WTF? It's really a time waster.
Old 07-06-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems you're viewing it through the lens of a realistic crime drama, when it is very much a comedy IMO. Ridiculous unrealistic characters are way more acceptable in comedies.

I don't think it's great, but I have laughed a good bit and enjoyed it.

Last edited by LurkerDan; 07-06-23 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-06-23, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

I added it to the queue since I like "Outback Noir" sort of stuff. Mystery Road, that show with Thomas Jane I forget what it's called, and a film with Eric Bana called The Dry were great. Mystery Road also got a tv series order, as well.

Old 07-13-23, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts

I read an article about that series today, it said it's the funniest show since "Derry Girls" which is hilarious, so I'll definitely watch after I'm done with "The Night Agent".
Old 07-14-23, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be in the minority but I really did not like this show. I'll be checking back here to see other otters reactions cause now I feel like I missed something. Maybe a rewatch is in order?
Old 07-14-23, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I certainly enjoyed it, and it was funny IMO, but "funniest show since XXX" is not a statement I would have used.
Old 07-16-23, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,030 Likes on 729 Posts

I'm trying to get through this (ep. 2), but Eddie is just so fucking obnoxious, I don't know if I can manage it. Just way too over the top.

Okay, Pamela Rabe just made an appearance. That's making it a bit more tempting.

How Derry Girls could even get mentioned in relation to this is beyond me.
Old 07-18-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Same! I watched the first episode last night and found Eddie's antics more annoying than funny. There is some funny stuff in there, but I agree with andicus, "Derry Girls" it is not. Good to know Pamela Rabe will show up! Kate Box, who plays the main character was also in Wentworth, she played Lou Kelly in later seasons:

Old 07-18-23, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pamela Rabe's character is not a reason to keep watching. Bit part, not funny, unlikable.
Old 07-18-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That's good to know. Thanks!
Old 07-19-23, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not for me, I bailed after 2 eps.
Old 07-21-23, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I've switched to watching Stateless with Yvonne Strahovski, Cate Blanchett and Kate Box.

It's a limited series of six episodes. "Inspired by true events; a woman escaping a cult, a refugee fleeing with his family, a father trapped in a dead-end job and a bureaucrat on the verge of a national scandal find their lives intertwined in an immigration detention center."

Much better! Not a comedy, by any means, and a tough watch, at times.

Last edited by andicus; 07-21-23 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-21-23, 08:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts

This was good, but I found it boring/annoying at times. IMO Abby (the dark haired officer who is dating the medical examiner) was the highlight of the show.
Old 07-29-23, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 631 Posts

I like Australian shows, so I'll be giving this a watch soon. Also plan to watch Stateless, and still need to see The Newsreader with Anna Torv.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I added it to the queue since I like "Outback Noir" sort of stuff. Mystery Road, that show with Thomas Jane I forget what it's called, and a film with Eric Bana called The Dry were great. Mystery Road also got a tv series order, as well.
I'd watched the two Mystery Road feature films and also the two seasons of the tv series when I just recently discovered they made a third season (Mystery Road: Origin) which follows a younger Jay Swan just as he's earned his detective badge. I'm three episodes in (watching it on Hoopla digital through my library membership) and it's good so far. Looks like there is a fourth season planned that will continue the prequel timeline.

/hijack
Old 08-14-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I quite liked this. For those that gave up early because one character is especially annoying, there is a surprising amount of growth for her and many of the other characters in the show. And the core mystery is handled very well.
Old 08-15-23, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I finished this off last night. I liked it.
There was a certain amount of "perfect timing" scenarios that I had to just accept, but it was still interesting.

The Eddie character was annoying me as well, but she turned a corner when we learned about her and she had no choice but to accept the realities of the situation. Only then did she become more funny.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
IMO Abby (the dark haired officer who is dating the medical examiner) was the highlight of the show.
Agreed. She was funny and her comedic timing was perfect.

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I quite liked this. For those that gave up early because one character is especially annoying, there is a surprising amount of growth for her and many of the other characters in the show. And the core mystery is handled very well.
Agreed.
Old 08-15-23, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

One of my favorite genres of show over the last decade has been the crime thriller. I’ll watch just about any of them. When I heard it was a comedy I was kind of put off by it. After the scene where they inform the brother of the first victim and he’s being as misogynistic as possible I was hooked.
Old 08-17-23, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Have to see this might have some of the most creative cursing since Deadwood
Old 09-20-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did end up finishing this. I guess it was okay, and Eddie did become more tolerable, but I think they also toned her down, a bit.

Agree that Big Eyes was a highlight. Definitely the most likeable character on the show.

The c*nt word flying about made for some good laughs.

I did hate how
Spoiler:
Dulcie was stabbed, at the end.

Made no sense at all that no one shot Ray Pies before he could do so.
Old 09-21-23, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
One of my favorite genres of show over the last decade has been the crime thriller. I’ll watch just about any of them. When I heard it was a comedy I was kind of put off by it. After the scene where they inform the brother of the first victim and he’s being as misogynistic as possible I was hooked.
I suggest "Dear Child" on Netflix if you haven't seen it. Six episodes, goes really fast, I liked it a lot. Risky to put so much on the shoulders of a 8-10 y/o girl, but she's outstanding.
Old 10-11-23, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 631 Posts

I binged this over the last few days and really liked it. I wasn't sure I was going to at first--especially when Eddie was introduced--but as others have mentioned she is toned down a little as the series progresses and ultimately she became my favorite character. I found myself laughing out loud often at her lines, and the actress portrays her really well. Once Dulcie and Eddie start to kind of get along and work together as a team, the show really hits its stride. Abby ("Big Eyes") was great, too, and an easy character to root for. Sven was hilarious. Cath was my least favorite character, despite her good intentions.
It's a farce, so don't watch if you're looking for realism. I found the whole thing to be a lot of fun. I get bored with some of these detective/murder mystery series and the red herrings they keep throwing at you (Broadchurch, for example), but this one I didn't mind because it was funny and entertaining. I'd definitely check out a season 2 if they make one.
Old 10-12-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I suggest "Dear Child" on Netflix if you haven't seen it. Six episodes, goes really fast, I liked it a lot. Risky to put so much on the shoulders of a 8-10 y/o girl, but she's outstanding.
I will counter that with the first couple are good then it falls apart and it became a prove me wrong show and it didn't.