Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Suits (USA) -- The 9th and final season thread -- Premieres 7/17/19

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Suits (USA) -- The 9th and final season thread -- Premieres 7/17/19

The final season of SUITS picks up with Manhattan corporate law firm, Zane Specter Litt Wheeler Williams, facing uncertainty and change yet again after Robert Zane (Wendell Pierce) took the fall with the Bar Association to save Harvey (Gabriel Macht). After his sacrifice, Samantha Wheeler (Katherine Heigl) is left reeling from the loss of her mentor, and while trying to console her, Harvey realizes that he doesn't want to lose the most important person to him: Donna (Sarah Rafferty). Season 9 will follow the legendary lawyer and COO balance their relationship with work, as they fight to salvage the firm's tarnished reputation alongside their partners, Louis Litt (Rick Hoffman), Alex Williams (Dulé Hill), Katrina Bennett (Amanda Schull), and Samantha. As the season progresses, our core characters' personal lives will be explored more deeply than ever before, setting up the series conclusion, in which everyone will finally be forced to decide exactly who they are and what kind of lawyers they want to be.

10 episode final season

Patrick J. Adams will return as Mike this season
Old 07-17-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Suits (USA) -- The 9th and final season thread -- Premieres 7/17/19

Looking forward to it. I binged seasons 7 and 8 and thought they handled it ok without Mike and Rachel (though I would think she might have had a thing to say about her father's 'retirement'). Got to know more about Louis and he became a better character becoming managing partner. And the new faces of Alex and Sam mixed things up as well as bringing back old faces made it worthwhile. I see this season as Mike having to try and keep Harvey out of jail as I think Zane Specter Litt Wheeler and Williams is going to come crumbling down.
Old 09-26-19, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's over. Long time coming and I really didn't like the ending. How they got rid of Fay was not believable. Sheila's pregnancy?
I guess if they ever want to reboot they can start with Mike and Harvey in Seattle.
The evil side of me was hoping 1 of Harvey's various clients he screwed over would have taken him out when he left the building.
Old 11-30-19, 04:36 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL no one watched anymore

Overall i enjoyed this show through the seasons but it was on it's last legs

Faye was a terrible last season antagonist, the whole setup and storyline with her was awkward

Typical feelgood ending which was decent
Old 07-30-23, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, everyone in this forum apparently quit watching before the final season 4 years ago. 3 posts for a long running show’s swan song.

Anyway, this show has seen a major resurgence on streaming. 8 seasons recently dropped on Netflix and the entire series is on Peacock.

Insane viewing numbers. 3.14 billion minutes watched as reported by Nielsen over 1 week.

Old 07-30-23, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Wow, everyone in this forum apparently quit watching before the final season 4 years ago. 3 posts for a long running show’s swan song.

Anyway, this show has seen a major resurgence on streaming. 8 seasons recently dropped on Netflix and the entire series is on Peacock.

Insane viewing numbers. 3.14 billion minutes watched as reported by Nielsen over 1 week.

https://twitter.com/lightscamerapod/...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q

https://twitter.com/nielsen/status/1...ROaaX6I5S_8l2Q
I watched it as it aired and enjoyed most of it. A lot of repeating things, but was still classic USA show. I actually liked the addition of Duke Hill and Heigl, or so I remember. I feel bad for those watching on Netflix and missing the final 10 episodes they probably don't even know exist considering it gets together 2 characters in a relationship.
Old 07-30-23, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I really don't even remember if I watched the final season.

I probably did, but nothing about it comes to mind.

Looking at Netflix, I only see it showing that I watched up to season 5 episode 11. I guess maybe I bailed much earlier than I realized.

Nope. I see that I commented in the thread on S8, so I watched at least that far. I guess I must've been PVRing it, by that point.
Old 08-05-23, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I wish someone at Netflix had the awareness to realize that choosing the still image of an almost naked woman, who is just a one-off minor character in the pilot, as the representation of this TV series about two male lawyers is degrading to women. Did the person who picked that picture think that was Meagan Markle?
Old 08-05-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The covers change based on your information. Netflix thinks your horny, and that you don't give a shit that Markle is in it.

The cover on mine is currently of Harvey and Mike.
Old 08-05-23, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
The covers change based on your information. Netflix thinks your horny, and that you don't give a shit that Markle is in it.

The cover on mine is currently of Harvey and Mike.
I'm not talking about that picture. Open the series page.
Old 08-05-23, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I really don't even remember if I watched the final season.

I probably did, but nothing about it comes to mind.

Looking at Netflix, I only see it showing that I watched up to season 5 episode 11. I guess maybe I bailed much earlier than I realized.

Nope. I see that I commented in the thread on S8, so I watched at least that far. I guess I must've been PVRing it, by that point.
I watched it all the way through and I have already forgotten how it ended. I would imagine it is pretty easily bingeable on the Netflix platform.

And I assume its Netflix popularity is simply because of Meghan. Americans seem to be obsessed with her.
Old 08-07-23, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I'm not talking about that picture. Open the series page.
Those images are based on the episode it's thinking you're going to watch next. If you were on the Pilot, it makes sense that image would be from that episode, even if it doesn't make sense for the rest of the series.
Old 08-07-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Those images are based on the episode it's thinking you're going to watch next. If you were on the Pilot, it makes sense that image would be from that episode, even if it doesn't make sense for the rest of the series.
I'm not on the pilot. I am in Season 3. It's always that image and has always been that image. Jesus Fuck guys, my eyes are connected to my brain, and both work.
Old 08-07-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's strange. On Netflix for me that splash image changes with every episode I watch to a shot from the next episode. Regardless of the series.
Old 08-09-23, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the screen grab that is always on the series page.
Old 08-09-23, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Mine auto-plays a clip, but yeah I do get that same default capture once it's over.
Old 08-10-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

The Suits writers are not getting rich from it's massive success on streaming

Old 08-10-23, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Suits didn't originate at Netflix, though. It reminded me of when Sean Gunn said he wasn't receiving residuals from that tv show he was on. That show didn't originate at Netflix either -- it was a network show.

I support the strikes but there are distinctions here.
Old 08-10-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Suits didn't originate at Netflix, though. It reminded me of when Sean Gunn said he wasn't receiving residuals from that tv show he was on. That show didn't originate at Netflix either -- it was a network show.

I support the strikes but there are distinctions here.
Yes I know. I watched it on USA Network when it aired on TV. Streaming is the new "Syndication" and the point is to show the streaming market doesn't pay shit with how it's currently set up.
Old 08-11-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the screen grab that is always on the series page.
I was watching Lincoln Lawyer last night and remembered this thread. Went to the Suits page, tried every view (from the home page and when you click into it). After the short clip, it always went back to a screenshot of the two guys standing in suits. I guess the app must work differently depending on the device it's being used on.
Old 08-11-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
I was watching Lincoln Lawyer last night and remembered this thread. Went to the Suits page, tried every view (from the home page and when you click into it). After the short clip, it always went back to a screenshot of the two guys standing in suits. I guess the app must work differently depending on the device it's being used on.
Fair enough.

Not that I don't like looking at half-naked, sexy women, but it always strikes me as odd every time I see that picture that someone at Netflix picked that as a visual representation of what the series is, and that despite the show being very popular on the service for weeks, no one has thought to change it. In all seriousness, I would absolutely have expected a picture of Meghan Markle, since I think curiosity about her is what first drove viewership.
Old 08-11-23, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Suits writers are not getting rich from it's massive success on streaming

https://twitter.com/Films_At_Home/st...097707008?s=20
This was only for the first 2 weeks it streamed on Netflix for something he wrote (and was also paid $24k for, along with $5000 a week for the season - assuming he got the lowest possible WGA minimum pay, which I'm sure he didn't) 11 years ago.

Poor baby.
Old 08-11-23, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the 2020 WGA contract, the minimum compensation for a writer on a high budget, one hour, made for basic cable, television drama ranges from $13K for just a "story by" credit to $32K for "story and teleplay by" credit.

So let's say you were completely responsible for the writing of an episode from soup to nuts, and you got the minimum of $32K. The budget for a show to be considered "high budget" is $1.2 million per episode.
So out of the $1.2 million that will be spent on a episode, $32K will be spent on the script, or 2.7% of the budget, which (to me) does not seem like a lot considering you can't begin to make a show without a script.

The point, to my mind, is that 50 years ago, the system was set up that people would get paid to do the job, AND THEN if their work continued to have value down the line, they would share in the compensation for that provable value.

It does not seem that anyone on either side of the strike is questioning the premise of the system. The issue is that with streaming services, value is less provable.

Poor baby.
Gizmo's attitude, as expressed in various posts on the subject, is that the writers should be accepting of what they were paid to do the work, initially, instead of complaining about the lack of residuals. Part of the logic is that's how compensation for labor is handled for most people.

However, the entertainment industry has set-up THIS system, and unless everyone wants to agree to trash the whole thing and set up something else, compensation must be fairly calculated in accordance with the spirit of the original agreement from 50 years ago, in mind.
Old 08-11-23, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Gizmo's attitude, as expressed in various posts on the subject, is that the writers should be accepting of what they were paid to do the work, initially, instead of complaining about the lack of residuals. Part of the logic is that's how compensation for labor is handled for most people.
If I pay $15 for Netflix and watch every single episode of Suits in 1 month. Tell me how that $15 gets broken down for every single person being owed residuals for MY watch. Does my $15 cover everyone for every episode? I'm paying about .10 an episode to watch, if I only watch Suits and watch every single episode in 1 month.

Old 08-11-23, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
If I pay $15 for Netflix and watch every single episode of Suits in 1 month. Tell me how that $15 gets broken down for every single person being owed residuals for MY watch. Does my $15 cover everyone for every episode? I'm paying about .10 an episode to watch, if I only watch Suits and watch every single episode in 1 month.
Why should I have the answer to that question?

As I previously posted, the financial compensation system that has been agreed to in (let's call it) Hollywood pays on the back end for continuing success. That's the system they have all agreed to live by. If times change, and the calculation method for compensation becomes outdated, and there is a good faith agreement between management and labor that the system be fair, then the choice is to scrap the entire system and start over or make changes.

If someone holds the position that the current system is fair, and the actors and writers should just live with it, that is certainly a valid viewpoint to argue. However the WGA, SAG, and *** disagree, and their members are the ones that would have to live with it. And since the executives on the management side are, in my opinion, GROSSLY overpaid, I agree with the position that the money is there but not being distributed fairly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.