Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

3 Body Problem (Netflix) -- From the Creators of Game of Thrones -- premieres 3/21/24

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

3 Body Problem (Netflix) -- From the Creators of Game of Thrones -- premieres 3/21/24

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: 3 Body Problem (Netflix) -- From the Creators of Game of Thrones -- premieres 3/21/24

Yeah that trailer does nothing for me...ugh.

So I will probably have to make a 3 season and 6 year commitment?

I am in no hurry with this one.
Old 03-09-24, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Re: 3 Body Problem (Netflix) -- From the Creators of Game of Thrones -- premieres 3/21/24

The two reviews I have read are pretty glowing. Basically said it is faithful to the theme of the books while also being its own thing.

Variety one was one of them:
https://variety.com/2024/tv/tv-revie...on-1235935706/
Old 03-09-24, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I've read the series a couple times now, and loved it. The first one is a LOT of science and gets bogged down a bit, the next two are bit more streamlined and are fantastic.

I do wonder if the series would follow through where the books go. (Serious spoiler below!)
Spoiler:
In book three, the entire solar system is flattened into two dimensions, and (almost) all of humanity is wiped out.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-21-24 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-19-24, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a sneak preview tonight of the first two episodes at Alamo Drafthouse. I thought it was pretty good so far. But it helps that I re-read the books recently and knew the plot really well. I wonder if non-readers will be able to follow it quite as much. Regardless, it looked and sounded great so far, and was cool to see it on a big screen. Looking forward to Thursday's drop.
Old 03-19-24, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

I tried watching the foreign version on Peacock (?) last week the whole physics does not exist this is annoying.

I didn't really care for any of the characters either. 30 episodes!! Too much of an investment.

I gave it 2.
Old 03-25-24, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given its pedigree and budget, surprised there's not more interest in this series. Just finished it up last night, thought they did a very good job overall. The actress playing Jin was a little weak, especially in some of the dramatic parts, but the rest of the 'Oxford Five' were pretty good, as was the rest of the cast. The show hit most of the touchstones of the book, even if it was Western-ized. The only thing I'd say overall is that despite the high stakes involved, it never felt "epic"; honestly, its mostly people just talking through things, there's no large-scale pieces. I was okay with that since I had read the books and knew what to expect, but I wonder what others will think.
Old 03-25-24, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I watched the first two last night. I have no idea where the story is going but I'll be sticking with it to the end.
Old 03-25-24, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

My wife and I are five episodes in and really enjoying it. I've read the books and she hasn't. I feel like they made some really smart choices with the changes they made so far and can see how they're setting up elements of the second and third book already. That said, I can see a general audience following them along for the second book, but can't see how they don't lose a ton of people's interest with the third one. I'm hoping they stick to one season per book. In some interview, I saw them talking about splitting the third book into two seasons. That seems like a great way to have the series get canceled after three seasons and leave a lot of plot unresolved.
Old 03-25-24, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn, that 5th episode. That was insane.
Old 03-26-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished it. I liked it. Good mix of sci Fi and drama. Some of the acting was bad, but could mostly be overlooked by some of the good performances from Liam Cunningham and Benedict Wong. I really want to read the synopsis of the next two books but I would also not like to spoil it for myself.

Someone who has read the books, can you provide answer to minor spoiler?

Spoiler:
I assume they jump forward in time in the next books?

Old 03-28-24, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished this tonight and they nailed it. I’m really impressed with the creative changes they made. I wouldn’t say those changes improved on the books, but they definitely made the series work better than a straight adaptation would have.

Originally Posted by Deftones
Just finished it. I liked it. Good mix of sci Fi and drama. Some of the acting was bad, but could mostly be overlooked by some of the good performances from Liam Cunningham and Benedict Wong. I really want to read the synopsis of the next two books but I would also not like to spoil it for myself.

Someone who has read the books, can you provide answer to minor spoiler?

Spoiler:
I assume they jump forward in time in the next books?
Yes.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-28-24)
Old 03-28-24, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

I watched all of it and I really liked it. It's no GOT, but it's very good sci-fi which is rare enough that I don't nitpick. I just hope it doesn't get cancelled because it doesn't seem that popular, and at $20mil an episode... Plus if Netflix approves S2, they'll have no choice but to also do S3.

Speaking of GOT, it was easy to recognize Bradley, Cuningham and Pryce, but I would have never recognized Conleth Hill (Varys) if I hadn't read about it.

Spoiler:
He plays the Pope in a video game sequence.
Old 03-28-24, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll probably start this up next. Everyone keeps on jocking E5, so we'll see what the fuss is all about.
Old 04-01-24, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Couple questions after watching the first 7 episodes.
Spoiler:
- How did the aliens get the physical headsets and the red storage drive to Earth?

- Do the books give more info about why the group of people were treating aliens like Gods rather than just aliens? The whole "My Lord" nonsense.

- Not a question but the idea that the aliens didn't realize humans lie until that guy said it 20+ years after they had been watching us is silly. That could have been written better.

Old 04-01-24, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I started watching this last week, and really had a hard time getting going with it, and I considered bailing. But over the weekend, I watched through episode 3 and mentally got into it. Looking forward to finishing the show, but that will have to wait until this weekend.
Old 04-02-24, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished. Good show, but very easy to tell it was based on a book. Some of the stuff would make sense in a long form book but doesn't work as well when it's condensed to a show. I'll continue to watch if they make another season.
Spoiler:
Poor Will's brain

Old 04-02-24, 09:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Couple questions after watching the first 7 episodes.
Spoiler:
- How did the aliens get the physical headsets and the red storage drive to Earth?

- Do the books give more info about why the group of people were treating aliens like Gods rather than just aliens? The whole "My Lord" nonsense.

- Not a question but the idea that the aliens didn't realize humans lie until that guy said it 20+ years after they had been watching us is silly. That could have been written better.

I still have 2 episodes to go, but yes, I have the same thoughts. Generally though, i'm enjoying it so far, but like someone else in this thread mentioned, the show doesnt seem to make the story/conflict grand enough. It feels local/small scale, if that makes any sense.
Spoiler:
- The Aliens have been watching us and must have seen all the conflicts and societal behaviours that go along with it... yet they're surprised that humans can withhold the truth and lie?

- I thought Ep5, despite the shock factor, was utterly stupid and felt really out of place for this show to date. So you dont want to have an assault team because it would leave too much time for Mike Evans and his people to destroy the 'bible'? And you didnt want a missile strike because it could have instantaneously destroyed the 'bible'. lol
Old 04-03-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished the season. Yeah, I liked it. May have to go and finish up the Chinese version. That one is 30 episodes, so who knows how far along that went into. I only watched the first episode of that one and never went back to it.
Old 04-03-24, 09:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Finished this off as well. It was good, but the last 3-4 episodes seem to end on more of a whimper than a bang.
Interested to read up on differences between the book and the show, but it's piqued enough of my interest where I wouldn't mind seeing a second season.
Old 04-05-24, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I really liked this but it honestly felt like 2-3 different shows and not a progression of one storyline. I think they needed at least 2 more episodes to help make a better narrative. Some of the effects were pretty impressive with the series as well not to mention the unexpected twists here and there (like the ship being shredded to bits). I may need to rewatch the show but I do have to say Will was damn annoying with his whinny voice and accent.

Does anyone know when we might see season 2? already ordered or waiting to see how popular it is as it must be expensive to produce.
Old 04-05-24, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's probably because they merged stuff from all three books to make the season.
Old 04-05-24, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A buddy said that the portrayal of the Benedict Wong character in the book is way more hardcore. In the books he's literally nicknamed "The Devil," because his plans tend to be diabolical.
Old 04-05-24, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
A buddy said that the portrayal of the Benedict Wong character in the book is way more hardcore. In the books he's literally nicknamed "The Devil," because his plans tend to be diabolical.
I think your friend mixed that up a bit. It’s Wade (Liam Cunningham’s character) who’s a lot more hardcore in the books. It’ll be interesting to see if/how he evolves as a character going forward. I felt like Da Shi is pretty close to how Wong portrayed him, though I think in the books he worked for the police in China and then the UN as opposed to Wade.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxfisher:
[email protected] (04-06-24), Why So Blu? (04-05-24)
Old 04-05-24, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I think your friend mixed that up a bit. It’s Wade (Liam Cunningham’s character) who’s a lot more hardcore in the books. It’ll be interesting to see if/how he evolves as a character going forward. I felt like Da Shi is pretty close to how Wong portrayed him, though I think in the books he worked for the police in China and then the UN as opposed to Wade.

I think you're right.
Old 04-23-24, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Wrapped up last night and liked this quite a bit but had a few problems with it. As others mentioned, it felt like a few unique story lines smashed together... a lot of hub-bub about the headsets -- and then nothing. A lot of prep for taking out the ship when in fact a Seal team could have been 10x more effective (also, how did the nanofiber strings shred the ship but not slice right thru the steel girders holding them?), a lot of prep for the nuclear blast proposal only for it to fail immediately. The little paper boats floating OUT to sea when in fact the current is dragging everything in... stuff like that frustrates me Finally, "Wallfacers"?? I mean, wtf is that? They have all the plans in their head but can't talk about it, write it down or put it on a computer. Sounds pretty useless.