S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-27-16, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
S.W.A.T. from EP Shawn Ryan and Justin Lin in development

http://deadline.com/2016/09/swat-cbs...in-1201825988/

EXCLUSIVE: CBS has landed S.W.A.T., a drama series loosely inspired by the 2003 Sony movie that was based on the 1975 TV series produced by Aaron Spelling and Leonard Goldberg. The project, executive produced by The Shield creator Shawn Ryan, Neal H. Moritz (Preacher), Justin Lin (Scorpion) and Aaron Rahsaan Thomas (The Get Down, Friday Night Lights), has received a pilot production commitment from the network with series penalty behind it.

S.W.A.T. hails from Sony Pictures TV, which will co-produce with CBS TV Studios. This marks the fourth pilot production commitment for Sony TV so far this season, along with dramas Salvation at NBC, from Warren Leight and Paul Haggis, and Doomsday at ABC from Carol Mendelsohn, as well as a comedy at CBS from Carter Bays & Craig Thomas and comedian Chris Distefano. The studio also has put pilot commitments for a drama loosely inspired by I Spy at Fox with David Shore and McG and another Moritz-produced drama, Ben H. Wintersí sci-fi cop show The Last Policeman at NBC.

Written by Sleepy Hollow alum Thomas with Fast & Furious helmer Lin possibly directing, S.W.A.T. is described as an intense, action-packed procedural following an African-American SWAT lieutenant torn between loyalty to the streets and duty to his fellow officers. He is tasked to run a new unit of highly trained but rugged outcasts who are the last stop for solving crimes in Los Angeles.

The 2003 movie S.W.A.T., produced by Moritz and directed by Clark Johnson, starred Samuel L. Jackson and co-starred Colin Farrell, Michelle Rodriguez and LL Cool J. It grossed $207 million at the worldwide box office.

Thomas is executive producing the potential series alongside Ryan and Marney Hochman of MiddKid Prods, Moritz and Pavun Shetty of Original Films, and Lin and Danielle Woodrow of Perfect Storm Entertainment. Thomas, Ryanís MiddKid and Moritzís Original Films all have overall deals at Sony TV.

For those who don't know, S.W.A.T. was a procedural on ABC back in the mid 1970's before the 2003 movie. Here's the opening credits:

This is obviously in development for next season. When it says there is a penalty, it means that if CBS passes on ordering it to series, they have to pay Sony a big fine. So it's practically a sure thing to get picked up.
Old 02-03-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: S.W.A.T. from EP Shawn Ryan and Justin Lin in development

http://www.thewrap.com/justin-lin-di...at-reboot-cbs/

Justin Lin will direct the Pilot episode

No actors have officially been cast yet.
Old 02-28-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://deadline.com/2017/02/shemar-m...ie-1202028074/

Shemar Moore, formerly of Criminal Minds, cast as the lead.

Good pick.
Old 02-28-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see him get a new job.
Old 02-28-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"has received a pilot production commitment from the network with series penalty behind it."

Series penalty? What does that even mean?
Old 02-28-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

If they don't pick it up to be a series, the network has to pay a lot of money to the people/production company involved.
Old 02-28-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
"has received a pilot production commitment from the network with series penalty behind it."

Series penalty? What does that even mean?
If CBS doesn't order it from Sony, they have to pay a substantial penalty. Usually several million. In other words, it's practically a lock to get ordered unless the Pilot is God awful.
Old 02-28-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see, thanks. Hadn't ever heard of that before now.
Old 05-12-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Officially picked up to series today.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/12/cbs-new...eal-team-swat/

Here's the show description:

S.W.A.T.
EPs: Aaron Thomas, Shawn Ryan, Neal Moritz, Marney Hochman, Danielle Woodrow, Pavun Shetty and Justin Lin
Logline: A locally born and bred S.W.A.T. sergeant is torn between loyalty to the streets and duty to his fellow officers when he’s tasked to run a specialized tactical unit that is the last stop in law enforcement in Los Angeles. Inspired by the film of the same name.
Cast: Shemar Moore, Stephanie Sigman, Alex Russell, Jay Harrington, Lina Esco, Kenny Johnson, Peter Onorati

I like Shemar Moore and I liked the SWAT movie, so I'll give this a watch in the Fall. Seems like a perfect fit for CBS.

Hopefully Shawn Ryan has better luck with this show being that it's a police-action procedural.
Old 05-12-17, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shemar Moore celebrating SWAT getting picked up:

Old 11-02-17, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

SHEMAR MOORE STARS AS A LOCALLY BORN SWAT SERGEANT NEWLY TASKED TO RUN A SPECIALIZED TACTICAL UNIT THAT IS THE LAST STOP IN LAW ENFORCEMENT IN LOS ANGELES, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF THE NEW DRAMA "S.W.A.T.," THURSDAY, NOV. 2

Shemar Moore, Stephanie Sigman, Alex Russell, Jay Harrington, Lina Esco, Kenny Johnson, Peter Onorati and David Lim Star in the Police Drama Inspired by the Television Series and Feature Film

"Pilot" - A locally born SWAT sergeant, former Marine Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson (Shemar Moore), is newly tasked to run a specialized tactical unit that is the last stop in law enforcement in Los Angeles, on the series premiere of S.W.A.T., Thursday, Nov. 2 (10:00-11:00, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Shemar Moore, Stephanie Sigman, Alex Russell, Jay Harrington, Lina Esco, Kenny Johnson, Peter Onorati and David Lim star in the police drama inspired by the television series and feature film.

Torn between loyalty to where he was raised and allegiance to his brothers in blue, Hondo has everything it takes to be an excellent leader and bridge the divide between his two worlds. His elite unit includes David "Deacon" Kay, an experienced SWAT officer who always puts the team first, despite feeling overlooked for the lead job; Jim Street, a cocky but promising new member of the group; Christina "Chris" Alonso, a skilled officer and the team's canine trainer; Dominique Luca, an expert driver who gets them in and out of high risk situations; and Victor Tan, a relatively new SWAT officer who uses his confidential informants in the community to help the team. Overseeing the unit is Jessica Cortez, the captain of L.A. Metro who values her job above all else, including her off-the-books relations with Hondo. Hondo's team enjoys an intense rivalry with another L.A.-based unit led by Mumford, an aggressive leader who likes to do things his way. With Hondo leading the charge, these dedicated men and women bravely put themselves at risk to protect their community and save lives.

REGULAR CAST:

Shemar Moore (Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson)
Stephanie Sigman (Jessica Cortez)
Alex Russell (Jim Street)
Jay Harrington (David "Deacon" Kay)
Lina Esco (Christina "Chris" Alonso)
Kenny Johnson (Dominique Luca)
Peter Onorati (Jeff Mumford)
David Lim (Victor Tan)

RECURRING CAST:

Louis Ferreira (William "Buck" Spivey)
Patrick St. Esprit (Robert Hicks)
GUEST CAST:

Aaron Bledsoe (Raymont Harris)
Lou Ferrigno, Jr. (Rocker)
Devan Chandler Long (Fennick)
J.T. Jackson (Shorty)
Khalilah Joi (Briana)
Keena Ferguson (Jemele)
Dan Thiel (Tosca)
Dan Martin (Dell)
Andrew Adams (Javale)
Taamu Wuya (Gerald)
June Carryl (Luanne)
Daniel Moncada (Luis)
Jimmy Lin (Doctor)
Michael C. Alexander (Angry Man)
Veralyn Jones (Angry Woman)
Sharon Tay (News Anchor #1)
Jeff Michael (News Anchor #2)
Christina Ogunde (Gina)
Ross Kohnstam (Yorba)
Gunrunner #1 ( Stephen Dunlevy)
Gunrunner #2 (Daniel Bernhardt)
Gunrunner #3 (Ben Jenkin)
Gunrunner #4 (Gabe Nunez)
Gunrunner #5 (Eric Brown)
Efka Kvaraciejus (Drug Dealer #1)
Cory DeMeyers (Drug Dealer #2)
Tanner Gill (Voss)
Henry Kingi, Jr. (Bennett)
Taran Butler (White Protestor)
Billy Tilk (White Uni Officer)
Gino Woulard (Black Youth)
Colin Follenweider (Gun Buyer)
Michael Lehr (Bank Robber #1)
Shahaub Roudbari (Bank Robber #2)
Michelle Foster (Hostage Fam #1)
Manuel Perry (Hostage Fam #2)
Alyma Dorsey (Hostage Fam #3)
Kenny Sheard (RPG Guy #1)
Cale Shultz (RPG Guy #2)

DEVELOPED FOR TELEVISION BY: Aaron Rahsaan Thomas

WRITTEN BY: Aaron Rahsaan Thomas and Shawn Ryan

DIRECTED BY: Justin Lin

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bqw4HJRr7C8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yl-s7MUkslA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shawn Ryan is co-showrunner and writer on this series.

This is based on the 70's TV show and 2003 movie.

Just want to be 100% clear, this is an LAPD cop procedural. So if you choose to watch this, don't go in expecting anything else. If you're not a fan or regular viewer of CBS crime procedurals, this is probably not for you.

Shemar Moore is playing playing the same (in name only) character that Steve Forrest played in the original TV show and Samuel L. Jackson played in the 2003 movie.

This has gotten super heavy promotion by CBS. Lots of promotion on TV, during NFL games, social media and Moore has been plugging this non-stop since he started filming. Most of Moore's fans are female.

Important note if you're in the New York area. This is pre-empted on CBS 2 New York due to Thursday Night Football between the Bills and Jets.

It will air at 10pm on WLNY Channel 10. I guess that is NY's alternate CBS affiliate.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-02-17 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 01:50 PM

Re: S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

Did the theme come back in any fashion?
Old 11-02-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

I want to try this but all the promos make it seem like it'll just be Shemar painting it thick with all the honor/family stuff for his fan base.

Last edited by Noonan; 11-02-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh... I like Kenny Johnson so maybe I will give it a shot.
Old 11-02-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I am giving this a shot.
Old 11-02-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bqw4HJRr7C8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yl-s7MUkslA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shawn Ryan is co-showrunner and writer on this series.

This is based on the 70's TV show and 2003 movie.

Just want to be 100% clear, this is an LAPD cop procedural. So if you choose to watch this, don't go in expecting anything else. If you're not a fan or regular viewer of CBS crime procedurals, this is probably not for you.

Shemar Moore is playing playing the same (in name only) character that Steve Forrest played in the original TV show and Samuel L. Jackson played in the 2003 movie.

This has gotten super heavy promotion by CBS. Lots of promotion on TV, during NFL games, social media and Moore has been plugging this non-stop since he started filming. Most of Moore's fans are female.

Important note if you're in the New York area. This is pre-empted on CBS 2 New York due to Thursday Night Football between the Bills and Jets.

It will air at 10pm on WLNY Channel 10. I guess that is NY's alternate CBS affiliate.
Thanks for the Tip about Channel 10 in NY, I set my DVR to adjust.. I want to check this out
Old 11-02-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking forward to this. Fan of Moore, Kenny Johnson, and Jay Harrington.
Old 11-03-17, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got done watching it and I dug it.

Some pretty cool action and the one thing I appreciated was that they didn't go overboard on the heavier themes. It doesn't bring anything new to this genre. It's still a weekly cop show, but I was entertained for the hour.

The synchronized shooting of the shooters at the carjacking was pretty badass.

Also, loved the ambush sequence in the final act.

and SWAT shoots to kill.

Moore is cool as Hondo, but I still see a lot of Derek Morgan from Criminal Minds in him. Jay Harrington looks like he really hit the gym.

Nice job getting the iconic theme song at the end.
Old 11-04-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched my recording of this the other night.
It's pretty much what you expect from an action cop show. It was really heavy on the pew pew pew and chasing after people, rather low on the personal interaction sort of stuff. To be fair it's a pilot so we should get more character development later.

I'm pretty sure real life SWAT is not going full auto fire in neighborhoods or power drifting past red lights in a Dodge Charger but whatever, tv show. It's strange to see "Ted" as a SWAT guy, even with a beard. I know that's not fair to the actor but hey, the last show I saw you on was Better off Ted, you're still Ted to me.

Shemar Moore is able to pull off the role of good looking charming cop in the inner city. Like yeah, look like he does and walk into a Inglewood beauty salon to talk to the women they are going to be receptive.
The only strange thing about the show is the team went everywhere together. I don't mean tactical, I mean just normal every day show stuff was the entire team, always. You're not sending in 6 people to every location to talk to a random person. It's like CBS wanted to go out of their way to drive home it's a team show and not a Shemar Moore solo cop show. It just seems a little strange. Two cars everywhere, 6 people at the tow yard, 6 people at the local store, 6 people going into a hair salon. Walking down the hallway and Shemar runs into the police chief....... no wait it's all 6 team members, again.
Old 11-05-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical character stereotypes but i like it ! Action is very good
Old 11-09-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

S.W.A.T. (S1E02) -- "Cuchillo" -- 11/9/17

HONDO AND THE SWAT TEAM SPREAD OUT ACROSS LOS ANGELES TO CAPTURE FOUR ESCAPED CONVICTS, INCLUDING A VIOLENT CRIMINAL WITH TIES TO JESSICA, ON "S.W.A.T.," THURSDAY, NOV. 9

"Cuchillo" - Hondo and the SWAT team spread out across Los Angeles in pursuit of four escaped convicts, including a violent criminal Jessica helped bring to justice, before department rival Mumford and his team beat them to the collars. Also, Hondo's new role as team leader is called into question when Street displays a flagrant disregard for SWAT protocol, on S.W.A.T., Thursday, Nov. 9 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

REGULAR CAST:

Shemar Moore (Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson)
Stephanie Sigman (Jessica Cortez)
Alex Russell (Jim Street)
Jay Harrington (David "Deacon" Kay)
Lina Esco (Christina "Chris" Alonso)
Kenny Johnson (Dominique Luca)
Peter Onorati (Jeff Mumford)
David Lim (Victor Tan)
RECURRING CAST:

Patrick St. Esprit (Robert Hicks)
Lou Ferrigno, Jr. (Rocker)
GUEST CAST:

Lobo Sebastian (Cuchillo)
Ramon Camacho (Ramon Reyes)
Marc Fajardo (Danny Wattana)
Gloria Garayua (Sofia)
Natalie Valerin (Ariel)
Patrick Davis (Eddie)
Clinton Valencia (Caspar)
A.J. Dunn (Travis Strand)
Kareem Grimes (Little Red)
Anthony Q. Williams (Jamal Goines)
Lillianna Valenzuela (Cecilia)
Marcos De Silvas (Angel)
Anoush Nevart (Tourist Woman)
Brittnee Garza (Cute Tourist)
Kim Whalen (Beth)

WRITTEN BY: Craig Gore

DIRECTED BY: Billy Gierhart

1st episode last week was pretty fun. They played the iconic SWAT theme at the end of the episode. I wonder if they will do it again this week.

Going to try to do this episode by episode, but not holding my breathe that it will draw much discussion. Action shows usually get a little more activity, so we'll see.

For anyone curious, the Pilot episode was the most watched drama last Thursday. A promising start, but shows usually lose live viewers in future weeks due to DVR and streaming.
Old 11-10-17, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: S.W.A.T. (S1E02) -- "Cuchillo" -- 11/9/17

Pretty cool 2nd episode tonight.

Using the old SWAT theme in the opening credits. I'm glad CBS actually does opening credits for many of their shows. So many shows don't do them anymore.

Now we know the Chief promoted Hondo strictly as a publicity stunt to settle the racial tensions from the Pilot. He actually wants Hondo to fail in order to promote Deacon.

I'm glad that they made Deacon a good guy and not some spiteful jealous asshole who is crying about not getting promoted. I've seen shows do that in the past.

Last sequence to stop Cuchillo was pretty cool. Hondo taking him out with sniper rifle from the helicopter was pretty badass.

They did go into a little character development tonight.

If you guys like action shows, definitely give this a look. It's pretty fun so far. The 1st episode had a little more over the top action, but I thought this was a solid follow up.

I like Stephanie Sigman as Hondo's girlfriend and boss. I like her look. She's professional looking, yet sexy.
Old 11-11-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: S.W.A.T. (S1E02) -- "Cuchillo" -- 11/9/17

Mate i'd recommend one Thread for the season, not per episode

This is a good show, but it won't generate much discussion, kinda like Hawaii Five o and blue bloods
Old 11-18-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

CBS picks up S.W.A.T. for a full season (20 episodes total): http://deadline.com/2017/11/cbs-s-w-...en-1202208327/

They didn't order 22 because the show started in November.

Cool news. Fun action show so far.
Old 11-19-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We started watching tonight. The pilot was great, and we are getting into episode 2 right now. Great show, we are really digging it. Loved the reworking of the original theme song at the end of the first show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.