Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My Adventures with Superman (Adult Swim/HBO Max) -- Animated series -- V: Jack Quaid

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Adventures with Superman (Adult Swim/HBO Max) -- Animated series -- V: Jack Quaid

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,754 Posts

"My Adventures with Superman" gave fans an exciting first look at the upcoming animated series in a new teaser trailer revealed today. The show, produced by Warner Bros. Animation, and based on characters from DC, follows the action-packed, comedic and romantic adventures of Superman and Lois Lane. The series stars Jack Quaid as the voice of Clark Kent, Alice Lee as the voice of Lois Lane, and Ishmael Sahid as the voice of Jimmy Olsen. The series debuts this summer on Adult Swim and on the streamer.

"My Adventures with Superman" is a serialized coming-of-age story catching up with twenty-somethings Clark Kent, the bright and driven Lois Lane, and their best friend Jimmy Olsen as they begin to discover who they are and everything they can accomplish together as an investigative reporting team at the Daily Planet. The story follows Clark as he builds his secret identity as Superman and explores his own mysterious origins. Lois, on her way to becoming a star reporter, teams up with photographer Jimmy Olsen to break the stories that matter. All the while, Clark and Lois are falling in love... as Lois gets closer and closer to uncovering his secret identity! Our trio share adventures, take down bad guys, stumble over secrets, and discover what it means to be heroes in their own right.

Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) serves as executive producer. Jake Wyatt ("Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus") and Brendan Clogher ("Voltron: Legendary Defender") are on board as co-executive producers and Josie Campbell ("She-Ra and the Princesses of Power") as co-producer.

Premieres this summer. 2 seasons were ordered

Old 04-06-23, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,385 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: My Adventures with Superman (Adult Swim/HBO Max) -- Animated series -- V: Jack Quaid

I don't recall this being part of the Gunn DC announcement, was it?
​​​​​​
Old 04-06-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: My Adventures with Superman (Adult Swim/HBO Max) -- Animated series -- V: Jack Quaid

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't recall this being part of the Gunn DC announcement, was it?
​​​​​​
This was ordered May 2021. Looks like it was originally supposed to air on Cartoon Network and HBO Max.

Breaking News - HBO Max and Cartoon Network Take Flight with Series Commitment for "My Adventures with Superman" | TheFutonCritic.com
Old 04-06-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

From the title, I would have liked to see a Seinfeld project.
Old 04-08-23, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 871 Likes on 732 Posts

I'm glad to see the return of a Superman cartoon but I'm already not liking the costume design.
Old 06-05-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Premieres July 6 at Midnight. Will be on Max the next day if you don’t get Adult Swim.
Old 06-05-23, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many think this is an anime-inspired adaptation.
Old 07-07-23, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

This aired last night and is now on Max
Old 07-07-23, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

This is awful.
Definately looks anime and seems dubbed.

It’s a little hard to tell but I think Lois Lane is Asian
perry white is a fat black guy and Jimmy Olson is a young black guy.
Lois and Kent are interns at the paper.
Old 07-09-23, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Watched the first episode. I wasn’t terribly impressed by it. I don’t mind the animation but it felt slow and I wasn’t motivated to watch the second episode.
Old 07-10-23, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,131 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I think it was great. I have no idea why it's on Adult Swim, though, unless later episodes get more mature or something. Kids loved it. Reminds me of Superman smashes the Klan (Gurihiru) in terms of artstyle. It's definitely anime inspired with the artwork, the magical girl transformation, the speedlines, the blushing, etc, but I like anime so...

It is a little odd that they show him get his powers early and then it's like 10 years later and he can't control them at all though.
Old 07-10-23, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Thought the 2 eps were decent.

Pros:
-The Anime style
-I love the design of Lois as an Asian Woman with the short hair. Yes, she is also voiced by an Asian actress
-The reveal ending of ep 2
-The Kryptonian Ship. It seems like it will have a bigger role in this series.
-Fast paced like Harley Quinn

Cons:
-The Anime style Yeah, I know what I said above.
-All the Anime style tropes and jokes we've seen in Anime many times.
-Seem to be Nerfing Kal. But then again, his powers are all over the place.

Old 07-10-23, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,131 Likes on 1,640 Posts

It kind of tangentially reminds me of the Marvel comic "Spider-man Loves Mary Jane" which was also done by a Japanese artist (Takeshi Miyazawa but written by Sean McKeever) but focused a lot more on the relationships than the fighting. Of course Marvel's edict is that Spider-man does not love Mary Jane anymore or at the very least can never be together with her so we'll never see an animated series based on that.
Old 07-16-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 340 Likes on 253 Posts

I think this show is really good. It "gets" Superman right - which is more than I can say for most adaptations since the Chris Reeve movies (with the exception of Smallville, which of course was only really a Clark Kent show).
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-16-23)
Old 07-16-23, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No real complaints after seeing the first two episodes. Going in a slightly different direction than usual I like how this Lois has a crush on Clark from the beginning. I generally like the designs and how the animation moves. Maybe the Smallville/rocket ship stuff could have been packed with more detail but how the characters interact is very nice.

Yes, it does feel like a slice-of-life anime outside of the action. Maybe My Hero Academia (which is probably the most positive take on modern superheroes I can think of) with a touch more romance.

I see they've redesigned Livewire a bit, not quite sure what to think of that because Timm did great things with her on Superman: The Animated Series.
Old 07-21-23, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Just burned through the 4 episodes. It is growing one me now they are slowly introducing all the cast of villains.
Old 07-21-23, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

It's not confirmed by the network or studio yet, but one of the producers says a season 2 is in the works.

https://collider.com/my-adventures-w...mmy%20possible.
Old 07-21-23, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's not confirmed by the network or studio yet, but one of the producers says a season 2 is in the works.

https://collider.com/my-adventures-w...mmy%20possible.
That news is several weeks old.
Old 07-24-23, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I like it so far.

For next week. Let's see, next week will involve kryptonite so Clark will not appear to be Superman.
Old 07-24-23, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I'm letting eps build up then I'm gonna binge a few at a time.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-07-23 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-30-23, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lois blushes quite a bit in this show, lol. I now understand why they went with a more angular 'S' symbol when it doesn't really look right. A budget saving move on the animation costs.
Old 07-31-23, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 470 Likes on 323 Posts

My kids really like this. Even my youngest who isn't usually into superhero stuff. I like that it doesn't require a lot of canon knowledge to watch.

In the latest episode, after watching Lois throw herself off the roof to get Clark to save her, I showed my kids the "Lois throws herself in the river" scene from Superman II, and they got a kick out of that.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (07-31-23)
Old 08-02-23, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang
My kids really like this. Even my youngest who isn't usually into superhero stuff. I like that it doesn't require a lot of canon knowledge to watch.

In the latest episode, after watching Lois throw herself off the roof to get Clark to save her, I showed my kids the "Lois throws herself in the river" scene from Superman II, and they got a kick out of that.
Lois has been tossing herself out of windows for years to get Superman to reveal his secret identity going back to Golden Age comics. Surprised they haven't done an Elseworlds in that vein where it goes horribly wrong and Lois accidentally dies in the fall.
Old 08-03-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Excellent fun. I've had Fridays off this summer because I work for our school system, and this is what I watch with my morning coffee!
Old 08-06-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It pulls 200,000 linear broadcast viewers an episode. Cartoon Network/Adult Swim has been hurting in the ratings for the past couple years, so I guess that is what they expected.

These 10-episode seasons are for the birds. You really can't do much more than introduce a handful of characters in that little time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.