Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I watched part of the second episode, paying attention to where people were coming from. Most are from the front stairs, but there were numerous people coming out of the back hallway that goes to the pool room. Looking down that hall, on the left is the payphone then the two bathrooms, but I have yet to see the right side of that hallway.

Considering that there's no way their supplier would bring kegs of beer and cases of liquors down the stairs, there must be an elevator on the right side of that hall.

I'll keep watching and report back.
Most of the old buildings in Boston have street-level service drops, basically, a panel in the sidewalk that opens/lifts up and either has a lift or stairway to quickly enter the basement. I'm sure the kegs would be dropped in that way.
Old 01-04-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Most of the old buildings in Boston have street-level service drops, basically, a panel in the sidewalk that opens/lifts up and either has a lift or stairway to quickly enter the basement. I'm sure the kegs would be dropped in that way.
Somebody else mentioned dumbwaiters and such, but are we going to say they put the wheelchair bound woman in one of those and lowered her down so she could drink?
Old 01-04-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
IIRC, we were also to assume his office had its own entrance from the street.
Yeah, there were brownstones that had basement entrances under the stairs.

Old 01-13-23, 01:53 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

We started watching Cheers on Paramount+ and I got curious about the opening and the images.

Turns out, someone had an excellent Halloween costume and it led to this article about the opening credit sequence, the source of some of the photos, and more.

Fun article, take a look.

Last edited by story; 01-13-23 at 02:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
Decker (01-13-23), Toby Dramit (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by story
We started watching Cheers on Paramount+ and I got curious about the opening and the images. Turns out, someone had an excellent Halloween costume and it led to this article about the opening credit sequence, the source of some of the photos, and more. Fun article, take a look.

Very cool read. Thanks, story ...
The following users liked this post:
story (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 768 Posts

I always thought Cheers won me over in the pilot episode where the phone rang, and before picking it up, Carla asked "Who isn't here?" and everyone at the bar said "me".
story (01-13-23)
Old 03-15-23, 11:21 PM

Making my way through Cheers today takes everything I got.

I'm into season 10 of 11 and really enjoying it. I'd forgotten how many 2-part episodes there are in this show, as well as quite a bit of continuity for relationships, etc. The later seasons have some threads throughout, though not like Sam and Diane. It also gets more wacky over time but I'm rolling with it. That's bound to happen when different characters take center stage to be their silly selves.

I really like how Sam and Rebecca truly come to understand their relationship as a firm friendship. I think that's a great dynamic. It lets Sam still be Sam while having a new way to relate to a woman he didn't really have before (yes, Carla, but there he's still the boss).

That new guy who buys Melville's is great. His interactions with Sam are ten times better than Gary and the bar fights!
Old 03-15-23, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

I didn’t realize the entire series is coming to Blu-ray. Tempted to get it eventually.
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:37 AM

Interesting, though if this is truly the cover art, there's no way I'm putting that thing in my house.
Old 03-16-23, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

Interesting, though if this is truly the cover art, there's no way I'm putting that thing in my house.
Geez, poor Coach doesn't even rate an appearance?
Old 03-16-23, 01:49 AM

Look at Cliff's head compared to his body. I don't know what the heck photo chop deal is going on there, but yikes.
Old 03-16-23, 01:55 AM

Fraiser as well. WTF?
Old 03-16-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like how Sam and Rebecca truly come to understand their relationship as a firm friendship. I think that's a great dynamic. It lets Sam still be Sam while having a new way to relate to a woman he didn't really have before (yes, Carla, but there he's still the boss).
I mentioned earlier in the thread, but the last episode of Kirstie Alley's first season, where Sam leaves Rebecca's apartment but uses the phone in her lobby to listen to her woes showed that Sam really valued her as a friend. (After secretly removing her bra, of course)

That new guy who buys Melville's is great. His interactions with Sam are ten times better than Gary and the bar fights!
I liked John Hill too, but not as much as the fights with Gary's Olde Towne Tavern. I especially liked when Rebecca feigned romantic interest in him to have access to the back room (technically part of Melville's). She accidentally spills wine on the carpet.
Rebecca: We need club soda or something to clean this!
John: Ohhhhhh. You're Into club soda, huh?
Rebecca: No, I.....(pauses).... What could that possibly mean??
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts

I know he was only in the first 3 seasons, but I thought that would be enough to include Coach in the cover.
Old 03-16-23, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I know he was only in the first 3 seasons, but I thought that would be enough to include Coach in the cover.
Especially since at the end of the series finale, Sam adjusts a picture of Geronimo, the same picture that used to hang in Nicholas Colasanto's dressing room.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Fist of Doom Jr (03-17-23), Toby Dramit (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts

Making my way through Cheers today takes everything I got.

I'm into season 10 of 11 and really enjoying it.

One thing that stood out for me on my rewatch was Lilith. She was always way down the list of likable characters. She just never quite fit in for me. But after a rewatch with fresh/older eyes she's towards the top now.

She's written more like a modern character of today than the late 80s-early 90s. Sharp wit, no-nonsense and not taking shit from any man, including her husband. At first glance she comes across as stiff and out of place amongst the regulars but as it turns out she probably has more depth than most of the other characters. It's almost like she'd fit better in a modern single camera comedy than in a traditional live action show. The writers were ahead of the game with Lilith and I just never caught or appreciated it.

Oh and Gary >>> John Hill.
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Especially since at the end of the series finale, Sam adjusts a picture of Geronimo, the same picture that used to hang in Nicholas Colasanto's dressing room.
I’ve recently started re-watching the series. I’m only about halfway through the first season. I knew about the finale and Sam adjusting the picture of Geronimo but I didn’t realize it also bookends the series nicely. The very first shot of the first episode is Sam walking through the bar and he stops to adjust a picture on the wall.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
story (03-16-23), Toby Dramit (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 10:30 PM

They mention that photo bit in the 200th episode 2-part interview spectacular. That one was weird, very super 80s. The panel is hosted by Jim McLaughlin, in a hotel so maybe like a comic con type of event but not? A little banter back and forth and mostly just clips, clips, clips. The extended theme song is in it, too.
Old 03-16-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One thing that stood out for me on my rewatch was Lilith. She was always way down the list of likable characters. She just never quite fit in for me. But after a rewatch with fresh/older eyes she's towards the top now.

She's written more like a modern character of today than the late 80s-early 90s. Sharp wit, no-nonsense and not taking shit from any man, including her husband. At first glance she comes across as stiff and out of place amongst the regulars but as it turns out she probably has more depth than most of the other characters. It's almost like she'd fit better in a modern single camera comedy than in a traditional live action show. The writers were ahead of the game with Lilith and I just never caught or appreciated it.

Oh and Gary >>> John Hill.
Frasier and Lilith are my favorite characters from the series. And I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I never could stand Norm.
Old 03-17-23, 12:25 AM

They mention that photo bit in the 200th episode 2-part interview spectacular. That one was weird, very super 80s. The panel is hosted by Jim McLaughlin, in a hotel so maybe like a comic con type of event but not? A little banter back and forth and mostly just clips, clips, clips. The extended theme song is in it, too.
A the clip show. An 80s staple. Always sucked. Friends had a bunch and I remember at least one Seinfeld one, but I don’t remember a Cheers one. Doesn’t surprise me though.
I remember when there were all these undisclosed issues with Moonlighting. The new episodes were few and far between in season 3 or so. They ran tons of repeats. Then they finally had a new episode and it was a clip show. Everyone in my college dorm was SO pissed.
Old 03-17-23, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,985 Likes on 2,035 Posts

The worst clip show, hands-down, goes to Star Trek: The Next Generation for "Shades of Gray."

Not only was it a clip show, but it happened during the second season, before the show had even found its "legs," so it was a clip show comprised of mostly shitty first and second season episodes. Paramount forced them to do a cheap episode because a couple of previous episodes (including the one that introduced the Borg) ran over-budget.

And, because of the writers' strike, it also ended up being the season to finale.
milo bloom (03-17-23)
Old 03-18-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The worst clip show, hands-down, goes to Star Trek: The Next Generation for "Shades of Gray."

Not only was it a clip show, but it happened during the second season, before the show had even found its "legs," so it was a clip show comprised of mostly shitty first and second season episodes. Paramount forced them to do a cheap episode because a couple of previous episodes (including the one that introduced the Borg) ran over-budget.

And, because of the writers' strike, it also ended up being the season to finale.
We're getting off topic here, but how about the second episode of Clerks: The Animated Series being a clip show, with only the first episode to borrow from? I know Smith was going for the absurdity of clip shows, but the joke flew over everyone's head. Including the network.
Old 03-18-23, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
A the clip show. An 80s staple. Always sucked. Friends had a bunch and I remember at least one Seinfeld one, but I don’t remember a Cheers one. Doesn’t surprise me though.
I remember when there were all these undisclosed issues with Moonlighting. The new episodes were few and far between in season 3 or so. They ran tons of repeats. Then they finally had a new episode and it was a clip show. Everyone in my college dorm was SO pissed.
I feel like The Golden Girls had the most clip shows in a tv series. It seemed like two or three episodes a season were just them talking about previous stories and then them flashing back to clips from those episodes.
Old 10-30-23, 04:24 PM

Finally, Twitter catches up with us :

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Coral (10-31-23), story (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,199 Likes on 931 Posts

Really such a great show. I’ve seen a good chunk of it but haven’t ever watched the full series straight through. Going through it on Paramount+.
story (10-30-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.