Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Old 01-04-23, 03:03 PM
  #176  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,883
Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I watched part of the second episode, paying attention to where people were coming from. Most are from the front stairs, but there were numerous people coming out of the back hallway that goes to the pool room. Looking down that hall, on the left is the payphone then the two bathrooms, but I have yet to see the right side of that hallway.

Considering that there's no way their supplier would bring kegs of beer and cases of liquors down the stairs, there must be an elevator on the right side of that hall.

I'll keep watching and report back.
Most of the old buildings in Boston have street-level service drops, basically, a panel in the sidewalk that opens/lifts up and either has a lift or stairway to quickly enter the basement. I'm sure the kegs would be dropped in that way.
Old 01-04-23, 05:03 PM
  #177  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 18,283
Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Most of the old buildings in Boston have street-level service drops, basically, a panel in the sidewalk that opens/lifts up and either has a lift or stairway to quickly enter the basement. I'm sure the kegs would be dropped in that way.
Somebody else mentioned dumbwaiters and such, but are we going to say they put the wheelchair bound woman in one of those and lowered her down so she could drink?
Old 01-04-23, 11:37 PM
  #178  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,171
Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Noonan
IIRC, we were also to assume his office had its own entrance from the street.
Yeah, there were brownstones that had basement entrances under the stairs.


Old 01-13-23, 01:53 PM
  #179  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,914
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

We started watching Cheers on Paramount+ and I got curious about the opening and the images.

Turns out, someone had an excellent Halloween costume and it led to this article about the opening credit sequence, the source of some of the photos, and more.

Fun article, take a look.


Last edited by story; 01-13-23 at 02:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
Decker (01-13-23), Toby Dramit (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 02:07 PM
  #180  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Toby Dramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: The Vic & Comet
Posts: 1,244
Received 318 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by story
We started watching Cheers on Paramount+ and I got curious about the opening and the images. Turns out, someone had an excellent Halloween costume and it led to this article about the opening credit sequence, the source of some of the photos, and more. Fun article, take a look.

Very cool read. Thanks, story ...
The following users liked this post:
story (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 03:10 PM
  #181  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,908
Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

I always thought Cheers won me over in the pilot episode where the phone rang, and before picking it up, Carla asked "Who isn't here?" and everyone at the bar said "me".
The following users liked this post:
story (01-13-23)
Old 03-15-23, 11:21 PM
  #182  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,914
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Making my way through Cheers today takes everything I got.

I'm into season 10 of 11 and really enjoying it. I'd forgotten how many 2-part episodes there are in this show, as well as quite a bit of continuity for relationships, etc. The later seasons have some threads throughout, though not like Sam and Diane. It also gets more wacky over time but I'm rolling with it. That's bound to happen when different characters take center stage to be their silly selves.

I really like how Sam and Rebecca truly come to understand their relationship as a firm friendship. I think that's a great dynamic. It lets Sam still be Sam while having a new way to relate to a woman he didn't really have before (yes, Carla, but there he's still the boss).

That new guy who buys Melville's is great. His interactions with Sam are ten times better than Gary and the bar fights!
Old 03-15-23, 11:43 PM
  #183  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

I didnít realize the entire series is coming to Blu-ray. Tempted to get it eventually.
The following users liked this post:
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:37 AM
  #184  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,914
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Interesting, though if this is truly the cover art, there's no way I'm putting that thing in my house.
Old 03-16-23, 01:43 AM
  #185  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,650
Received 6,165 Likes on 4,195 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by story
Interesting, though if this is truly the cover art, there's no way I'm putting that thing in my house.
Geez, poor Coach doesn't even rate an appearance?
Old 03-16-23, 01:49 AM
  #186  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,914
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Look at Cliff's head compared to his body. I don't know what the heck photo chop deal is going on there, but yikes.
Old 03-16-23, 01:55 AM
  #187  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,650
Received 6,165 Likes on 4,195 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Fraiser as well. WTF?
Old 03-16-23, 11:13 AM
  #188  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,908
Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by story

I really like how Sam and Rebecca truly come to understand their relationship as a firm friendship. I think that's a great dynamic. It lets Sam still be Sam while having a new way to relate to a woman he didn't really have before (yes, Carla, but there he's still the boss).
I mentioned earlier in the thread, but the last episode of Kirstie Alley's first season, where Sam leaves Rebecca's apartment but uses the phone in her lobby to listen to her woes showed that Sam really valued her as a friend. (After secretly removing her bra, of course)

That new guy who buys Melville's is great. His interactions with Sam are ten times better than Gary and the bar fights!
I liked John Hill too, but not as much as the fights with Gary's Olde Towne Tavern. I especially liked when Rebecca feigned romantic interest in him to have access to the back room (technically part of Melville's). She accidentally spills wine on the carpet.
Rebecca: We need club soda or something to clean this!
John: Ohhhhhh. You're Into club soda, huh?
Rebecca: No, I.....(pauses).... What could that possibly mean??
The following users liked this post:
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:02 PM
  #189  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,171
Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

I know he was only in the first 3 seasons, but I thought that would be enough to include Coach in the cover.
Old 03-16-23, 09:02 PM
  #190  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,908
Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Coral
I know he was only in the first 3 seasons, but I thought that would be enough to include Coach in the cover.
Especially since at the end of the series finale, Sam adjusts a picture of Geronimo, the same picture that used to hang in Nicholas Colasanto's dressing room.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Fist of Doom Jr (03-17-23), Toby Dramit (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 09:22 PM
  #191  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,513
Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by story
Making my way through Cheers today takes everything I got.

I'm into season 10 of 11 and really enjoying it.
...

That new guy who buys Melville's is great. His interactions with Sam are ten times better than Gary and the bar fights!
One thing that stood out for me on my rewatch was Lilith. She was always way down the list of likable characters. She just never quite fit in for me. But after a rewatch with fresh/older eyes she's towards the top now.

She's written more like a modern character of today than the late 80s-early 90s. Sharp wit, no-nonsense and not taking shit from any man, including her husband. At first glance she comes across as stiff and out of place amongst the regulars but as it turns out she probably has more depth than most of the other characters. It's almost like she'd fit better in a modern single camera comedy than in a traditional live action show. The writers were ahead of the game with Lilith and I just never caught or appreciated it.

Oh and Gary >>> John Hill.
The following users liked this post:
story (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 09:32 PM
  #192  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,266
Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Paff
Especially since at the end of the series finale, Sam adjusts a picture of Geronimo, the same picture that used to hang in Nicholas Colasanto's dressing room.
Iíve recently started re-watching the series. Iím only about halfway through the first season. I knew about the finale and Sam adjusting the picture of Geronimo but I didnít realize it also bookends the series nicely. The very first shot of the first episode is Sam walking through the bar and he stops to adjust a picture on the wall.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
story (03-16-23), Toby Dramit (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 10:30 PM
  #193  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 13,914
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

They mention that photo bit in the 200th episode 2-part interview spectacular. That one was weird, very super 80s. The panel is hosted by Jim McLaughlin, in a hotel so maybe like a comic con type of event but not? A little banter back and forth and mostly just clips, clips, clips. The extended theme song is in it, too.
Old 03-16-23, 11:17 PM
  #194  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,457
Likes: 0
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One thing that stood out for me on my rewatch was Lilith. She was always way down the list of likable characters. She just never quite fit in for me. But after a rewatch with fresh/older eyes she's towards the top now.

She's written more like a modern character of today than the late 80s-early 90s. Sharp wit, no-nonsense and not taking shit from any man, including her husband. At first glance she comes across as stiff and out of place amongst the regulars but as it turns out she probably has more depth than most of the other characters. It's almost like she'd fit better in a modern single camera comedy than in a traditional live action show. The writers were ahead of the game with Lilith and I just never caught or appreciated it.

Oh and Gary >>> John Hill.
Frasier and Lilith are my favorite characters from the series. And I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I never could stand Norm.
Old 03-17-23, 12:25 AM
  #195  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,650
Received 6,165 Likes on 4,195 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by story
They mention that photo bit in the 200th episode 2-part interview spectacular. That one was weird, very super 80s. The panel is hosted by Jim McLaughlin, in a hotel so maybe like a comic con type of event but not? A little banter back and forth and mostly just clips, clips, clips. The extended theme song is in it, too.
A the clip show. An 80s staple. Always sucked. Friends had a bunch and I remember at least one Seinfeld one, but I donít remember a Cheers one. Doesnít surprise me though.
I remember when there were all these undisclosed issues with Moonlighting. The new episodes were few and far between in season 3 or so. They ran tons of repeats. Then they finally had a new episode and it was a clip show. Everyone in my college dorm was SO pissed.
Old 03-17-23, 06:57 AM
  #196  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,892
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

The worst clip show, hands-down, goes to Star Trek: The Next Generation for "Shades of Gray."

Not only was it a clip show, but it happened during the second season, before the show had even found its "legs," so it was a clip show comprised of mostly shitty first and second season episodes. Paramount forced them to do a cheap episode because a couple of previous episodes (including the one that introduced the Borg) ran over-budget.

And, because of the writers' strike, it also ended up being the season to finale.
The following users liked this post:
milo bloom (03-17-23)
Old 03-18-23, 05:05 PM
  #197  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,908
Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The worst clip show, hands-down, goes to Star Trek: The Next Generation for "Shades of Gray."

Not only was it a clip show, but it happened during the second season, before the show had even found its "legs," so it was a clip show comprised of mostly shitty first and second season episodes. Paramount forced them to do a cheap episode because a couple of previous episodes (including the one that introduced the Borg) ran over-budget.

And, because of the writers' strike, it also ended up being the season to finale.
We're getting off topic here, but how about the second episode of Clerks: The Animated Series being a clip show, with only the first episode to borrow from? I know Smith was going for the absurdity of clip shows, but the joke flew over everyone's head. Including the network.
Old 03-18-23, 11:11 PM
  #198  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,596
Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Originally Posted by Decker
A the clip show. An 80s staple. Always sucked. Friends had a bunch and I remember at least one Seinfeld one, but I donít remember a Cheers one. Doesnít surprise me though.
I remember when there were all these undisclosed issues with Moonlighting. The new episodes were few and far between in season 3 or so. They ran tons of repeats. Then they finally had a new episode and it was a clip show. Everyone in my college dorm was SO pissed.
I feel like The Golden Girls had the most clip shows in a tv series. It seemed like two or three episodes a season were just them talking about previous stories and then them flashing back to clips from those episodes.
Old 10-30-23, 04:24 PM
  #199  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,650
Received 6,165 Likes on 4,195 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Finally, Twitter catches up with us :

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Coral (10-31-23), story (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 05:03 PM
  #200  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,734
Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Cheers: Best Moments, Making of, and Who's on Day Shift?!

Really such a great show. Iíve seen a good chunk of it but havenít ever watched the full series straight through. Going through it on Paramount+.
The following users liked this post:
story (10-30-23)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.