Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kirstie Alley dead at 71

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-22, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Kirstie Alley dead at 71

I too liked her in her theatrical films. Runaway, Shoot to Kill (both recently watched), Star Trek, Summer School (also recently watched). But Cheers is where I discovered and loved her. Gonna binge FA.
Old 12-06-22, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Why did she pass on The Search for Spock?
Salary dispute according to Nimoy.

She claims that Bill Shatner didn't like her, so she left on her own.
Old 12-06-22, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I've heard salary dispute, too.

Also remember hearing that they tried to get her back for a cameo as Saavik for the TNG episode "Cause and Effect," where they Kelsey Grammer play a late 22nd century starship captain whose ship was caught in a time loop. They got Grammer from the set of Cheers, and tried to get Kirstie to stand behind as Saavik, but she wouldn't do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
John Pannozzi (12-07-22), Thos19 (12-07-22)
Old 12-06-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Alley was a great addition to Cheers and made the show better. She was straight-laced at first, but they opened her up and she was fun to watch.
Shelly Long played the Diane character perfectly - but that just meant hear character was really annoying. With Long gone, it opened up Sam's storylines and made him more fun to watch as well.
Agreed! I was always a bigger fan of the Rebecca Howe years of Cheers. Shelley Long's Diane was good for about a season and a half, then it was just too much of the same from the character. And the way the beginning of each season would have to shoehorn in a way to bring Diane back to the bar and waiting tables started to stretch the imagination after a while. Rebecca didn't become annoying till like the last season or two when she suddenly became an incompetent fuck-up.

And at least they made her smoking a funny plot point on Cheers.
At least at first, till she ended up burning down the bar. But I remember two great gags from an episode where Rebecca was trying to quit smoking. The first was when she realized she might be tempted by the cigarette machine (anyone remember when that was an actual thing?? Cigarette vending machines???) so she runs to it and starts beating the crap out of it right before a customer was about to use it, and Rebecca looks at the customer and says in a sing-song voice, "Darn thing's on the blink again".

Later in the episode was this great exchange (although to be honest, it was Kelsey Grammer's typical deadpan delivery that really brought the funny):

Carla (with a maniacal laugh): I found this half-pack of cigarettes on a table. I'm gonna bring them to Rebecca and taunt her!
Frasier (snatching the cigarettes from Carla's hand): No Carla! Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things a person can do and Rebecca should be commended for it. I'll go show her that she has our full support. (Knocks on office door) Oh, Rebecca...?
Rebecca (angrily): What do you want, BONE DOME?
Frasier (looks at the pack of cigarettes, then chucks them into Rebecca's office): Here, try these, they're menthols.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Fist of Doom Jr (12-07-22), John Pannozzi (12-07-22)
Old 12-06-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
At least at first, till she ended up burning down the bar. But I remember two great gags from an episode where Rebecca was trying to quit smoking. The first was when she realized she might be tempted by the cigarette machine (anyone remember when that was an actual thing?? Cigarette vending machines???) so she runs to it and starts beating the crap out of it right before a customer was about to use it, and Rebecca looks at the customer and says in a sing-song voice, "Darn thing's on the blink again".

Later in the episode was this great exchange (although to be honest, it was Kelsey Grammer's typical deadpan delivery that really brought the funny):

Carla (with a maniacal laugh): I found this half-pack of cigarettes on a table. I'm gonna bring them to Rebecca and taunt her!
Frasier (snatching the cigarettes from Carla's hand): No Carla! Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things a person can do and Rebecca should be commended for it. I'll go show her that she has our full support. (Knocks on office door) Oh, Rebecca...?
Rebecca (angrily): What do you want, BONE DOME?
Frasier (looks at the pack of cigarettes, then chucks them into Rebecca's office): Here, try these, they're menthols.
I recall one pretty good gag where Rebecca was hiding her smoking from Sam and she hid a lit cigarette in her mouth. Then when Sam left, she flipped it out and started smoking again. I remember being pretty impressed by that.
Old 12-06-22, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I recall one pretty good gag where Rebecca was hiding her smoking from Sam and she hid a lit cigarette in her mouth. Then when Sam left, she flipped it out and started smoking again. I remember being pretty impressed by that.
Sepinwall mentioned it in his tribute to Alley. Says her uncle taught her that trick.
Old 12-06-22, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

No mention of this show yet. Shame it didn't take off, it was pretty good.

\\
Old 12-07-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
man, she really was super sultry hot.
In my opinion, her "super sultry hot" best was in Runaway (1984) with Tom Selleck. That was basically her character description.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 12-07-22 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Apparently it was colon cancer that took her. If only she had regular screenings, she would still be alive. I've heard with the Scientology cult, the higher up in the chain you are (i.e. the more money you give them) the more of a "super human" you become and you don't get cancer. Maybe that's why she may not have bothered to ever get any screenings?

I bet she's having a word with L Ron Hubbard on the other side!

I really liked her too in Cheers and a few movies.

I just have to focus on her acting roles whenever I watch her now due to the full-on MAGA crazytown she went on in the last few years that made me look at her in a different way...
The following 2 users liked this post by mickey65:
John Pannozzi (12-07-22), story (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Sad to read that she died of only recently diagnosed colon cancer. She must have been in really rough shape health wise to have it kill her shortly after diagnosis.
Old 12-07-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Alan Sepinwall noted that Rebecca's dream catch was Donald Trump . And the actress ended up in the same camp at the end.
Old 12-07-22, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Alan Sepinwall noted that Rebecca's dream catch was Donald Trump . And the actress ended up in the same camp at the end.
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out the character of Robin Colcord was inspired by Donald Trump. An arrogant multi-millionaire who turns out to be a con man and criminal.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out the character of Robin Colcord was inspired by Donald Trump. An arrogant multi-millionaire who turns out to be a con man and criminal.
Although in one episode, Rebecca complains about not being able to date a man like Donald Trump or Robin Colcord, so in the Cheers universe both men exist. I guess that's sort of like in Boogie Nights where Dirk Diggler drops John Holmes' name, even though it's very clear the Diggler character is somewhat based on Holmes.
Old 12-08-22, 11:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
man, she really was super sultry hot.
I always liked her from her quote when she won some award and she thanked her husband at the time, Jameson Parker, for giving her his big cock though the years....

who doesn't love a girl who love big cocks!
Old 12-09-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Rebecca > Diane and (obviously) Saavik > Saavik

RIP
Old 12-10-22, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Before she became famous, Kirstie made the rounds on game shows, including Password Plus and Match Game.

https://youtu.be/_6uC7SgzTLM
Kirstie Alley and Betty White ... somebody keep a close eye on Jamie Lee Curtis, please.
Old 12-11-22, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Kirstie Alley and Betty White ... somebody keep a close eye on Jamie Lee Curtis, please.
And Chris Pine looks so much like his father in that clip.