Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Old 09-30-22, 12:41 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 71,730
Received 2,146 Likes on 1,580 Posts
The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22






Adar and his army march on Ostirith

Now up on Prime video

2 more episodes left after this week


Old 09-30-22, 01:00 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,800
Received 774 Likes on 596 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Holy shit! They went all out on this one in terms of action, violence, and gore. I love the "terraforming" angle, as well.

Also, I guess Halbrand is starting to lean into possibly being Sauron (or the very least Witch King of Angmar) at this point. There was some key dialogue between Galadriel and Adar. Adar mentions that he cut the person Galadriel calls "Sauron" in half. Makes sense that Halbrand wanted to kill Adar with extreme prejudice before he was stopped. Halbrand even asked Adar if he remembered him and Adar replied with "no." Then Adar asks Halbrand how he wromged him - was it by killing a woman or child dear to him? Halbrand does not answer. I mean how would he answer that? "Yeah, you wronged me when you cleaved me in half, remember?!" Those are my thoughts on that.

Oh, and I was right about Adar being a first age orc of Morgoth. Before they segued into the more monstrous ones. The Atmos was exquisite, especially with how it ended.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-30-22 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-30-22, 07:10 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,580
Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

I thought the eruption might be the season cliffhanger, but here we are! I didn't really buy the passage of time from them making landfall to coming to the rescue - just some fundamental filmmaking things like that I'd wish they'd do better on. And another episode without the Harfoots is a good thing.

Last edited by Artman; 09-30-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-30-22, 12:13 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Liked the episode, lots of action, but the key thing could have been written better. It's an old trope that Adar didn't have the key and sent someone else with it. Of course no one bothered to look at it to see if they actually had it until it was too late. Despite my grievances, I'm very much enjoying this series. Any new Lord of the Rings content is much appreciated, even the bad stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Checkmate:
B.A. (10-01-22), Bandoman (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 01:14 PM
  #5  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 36,007
Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by Checkmate View Post
Liked the episode, lots of action, but the key thing could have been written better. It's an old trope that Adar didn't have the key and sent someone else with it. Of course no one bothered to look at it to see if they actually had it until it was too late. Despite my grievances, I'm very much enjoying this series. Any new Lord of the Rings content is much appreciated, even the bad stuff.
My thoughts re: Arondir handing the key to Theo and telling him to give it to the Numenorians:

[Arondir hands it over] You're just going to give this to the kid who admitted it held power over him and walk away? Are you stupid?

[Theo opens it an it's a normal hatchet] Ha! Arondir was smarter than that, but Theo caught him trying to pull a fast one! I wonder what Arondir did with the original?

[Key used to rain catastophe on all] You mean NO ONE actually CHECKED to make sure they had the actual artifact? AAAAAUUUUUGH!
The following users liked this post:
B.A. (10-01-22)
Old 09-30-22, 04:41 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,818
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

That was awesome 😲 And a real shame that most people watched it on tv's with tv speakers.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 06:37 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 3,376
Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Holy shit! They went all out on this one in terms of action, violence, and gore. I love the "terraforming" angle, as well.

Also, I guess Halbrand is starting to lean into possibly being Sauron (or the very least Witch King of Angmar) at this point. There was some key dialogue between Galadriel and Adar. Adar mentions that he cut the person Galadriel calls "Sauron" in half. Makes sense that Halbrand wanted to kill Adar with extreme prejudice before he was stopped. Halbrand even asked Adar if he remembered him and Adar replied with "no." Then Adar asks Halbrand how he wromged him - was it by killing a woman or child dear to him? Halbrand does not answer. I mean how would he answer that? "Yeah, you wronged me when you cleaved me in half, remember?!" Those are my thoughts on that.

Oh, and I was right about Adar being a first age orc of Morgoth. Before they segued into the more monstrous ones. The Atmos was exquisite, especially with how it ended.
I though there were a couple of lines that pretty much spelled out that the "stranger" from the sky was Sauron (episode 4 I think). Maybe I'm mis-remembering it.

This show and Andor show why location shooting is so important to how "big" a movie/series feels. Wife and I have been enjoying this (and she could never get into GoT) quite a bit. We have watched and enjoyed the LoTR trilogy and tolerate the Hobbit, and have never read any of the books (I tried but it felt like work so I gave up on them).
Old 10-01-22, 02:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,374
Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

I'm really enjoying this show for the most part, but I agree with a couple of thing others have said in the various episode threads:
  • The show has one too many parallel plot threads and it bogs things down. With this episode, it looks like a couple of them are being woven together into one so that will hopefully help.
  • The sense of scale is just not really there for me yet. I get that the men of the Southlands have been king-less and I probably have forgotten some important exposition from earlier episodes, but in the Southlands they've basically shown a couple of decimated towns plus the small town of Bronwyn's that we've been following. The epic battle in this episode (and it was very cool) was a group of people that can fit in a tavern against a relatively unimpressive squadron of Adar's minions. Galadriel and the Numenorians (including their queen regent!) traveled across the sea in all their glory to swoop in and defend...a few villagers? It just felt a little incongruous.
Despite the above, the show has kept my interest and I am into it. I just think it could be quite a bit better.
Old 10-01-22, 06:03 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,758
Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

I really enjoyed this one

thankfully, the Harfoots werent involved.
Old 10-01-22, 06:11 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35,800
Received 774 Likes on 596 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I'm really enjoying this show for the most part, but I agree with a couple of thing others have said in the various episode threads:
  • The show has one too many parallel plot threads and it bogs things down. With this episode, it looks like a couple of them are being woven together into one so that will hopefully help.
  • The sense of scale is just not really there for me yet. I get that the men of the Southlands have been king-less and I probably have forgotten some important exposition from earlier episodes, but in the Southlands they've basically shown a couple of decimated towns plus the small town of Bronwyn's that we've been following. The epic battle in this episode (and it was very cool) was a group of people that can fit in a tavern against a relatively unimpressive squadron of Adar's minions. Galadriel and the Numenorians (including their queen regent!) traveled across the sea in all their glory to swoop in and defend...a few villagers? It just felt a little incongruous.
Despite the above, the show has kept my interest and I am into it. I just think it could be quite a bit better.

It was just a skirmish. All the Southlands seem to be are patches of land here and there populated by villagers barely getting by, not an actual kingdom. Now that it will turn into Mordor, it will be a Kingdom going forward for Sauron and his forces. The Southlanders are screwed, though, unless they are taken in and assimilated into Numenor. Gondor doesn't exist yet, unless this fragmented population forms the beginnings of Gondor.
Old 10-02-22, 12:33 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,185
Received 570 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Good episode. Not great, but good. The battle scenes were fine, but as mentioned above everything seems so small. I think the creative team is having a very difficult time showcasing the scale of this world. It feels boxy and limited in a way that other shows like Game of Thrones, The Witcher, even Wheel of Time were more able to successfully convey.

Bronwyn continues to be insufferable. Of COURSE she had to rescue Arondir in a last minute save, because reasons.

Galadriel came off as much more of a leader, and her encroaching darkness has made her a far more interesting character than three dozen of those ridiculous "training fights" from the previous episode could ever do.

I missed Durin and Elrond, but no one misses the Harfoots. The former carry the most interesting subplot in the show, the latter... do not.

Killer ending though. Piqued my interest to look forward to next week, which is the first time I've said that all season.
Old 10-03-22, 03:00 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,818
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I think the creative team is having a very difficult time showcasing the scale of this world. It feels boxy and limited in a way that other shows like ..., The Witcher, even Wheel of Time were more able to successfully convey.
DIS.A.GREE!
Wheel of Time felt like someone putting on a small show in their backyard.
The Witcher season 2 was even more limited than 1. Apparently there's a bog, a tavern and Kaer Morhen.
Old 10-03-22, 01:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,185
Received 570 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
DIS.A.GREE!
Wheel of Time felt like someone putting on a small show in their backyard.
The Witcher season 2 was even more limited than 1. Apparently there's a bog, a tavern and Kaer Morhen.
Wheel of Time had a host of problems that hardly abide the telling, but their big epic moments felt sufficiently big and epic (obvious CGI was obvious, but that applies to RoP as well).
Agree to entirely disagree about Witcher.
Old 10-05-22, 09:12 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 17,106
Received 1,044 Likes on 789 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

This continues to be good stuff. They are tying together all the different pieces and its making for some great story stuff.

The volcano creation was epic and it could have been a season finale but theres still some interesting things to go.

And Im still betting on the Stranger is Sauron.
Old 10-06-22, 11:39 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: behind the eight ball
Posts: 19,711
Received 158 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

This is finally pickup up some momentum. I really don't see where the Harfoot story is going, though. I have a feeling everything will finally fall into place about ten minutes before the last episode ends.
Old 10-06-22, 05:16 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,947
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
This continues to be good stuff. They are tying together all the different pieces and its making for some great story stuff.

The volcano creation was epic and it could have been a season finale but theres still some interesting things to go.

And Im still betting on the Stranger is Sauron.
I will probably skip threads until the final reveal but my theory
Spoiler:
Is that Halbrand and the Stranger are basically two halves of Sauron. I will have to rewatch but I believe Adar said he cut Sauron in half. So my feel is that his essence is somehow split into two sort of like later he comes back as the Eye and Mouth. It is pretty obvious that the Stranger is likely Sauron due to their use of the Eye of Sauron imagery, and they are setting up Halbrand with all the characteristics of someone who can later be Sauron the deceiver, the good looks, the kingship his master craftmanship, etc...


Old 10-06-22, 05:37 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,268
Likes: 0
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The Rings of Power (S1E06) -- "Udn" -- 9/29/22

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I will probably skip threads until the final reveal but my theory
Spoiler:
Is that Halbrand and the Stranger are basically two halves of Sauron. I will have to rewatch but I believe Adar said he cut Sauron in half. So my feel is that his essence is somehow split into two sort of like later he comes back as the Eye and Mouth. It is pretty obvious that the Stranger is likely Sauron due to their use of the Eye of Sauron imagery, and they are setting up Halbrand with all the characteristics of someone who can later be Sauron the deceiver, the good looks, the kingship his master craftmanship, etc...




There are also people who think Halbrand will end up being the head of the Nazgul.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.