DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Yellowstone (Paramount) - Season 5 - premieres 11/13/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/656136-yellowstone-paramount-season-5-premieres-11-13-22-a.html)

DJariya 05-03-23 02:19 PM

Re: Yellowstone (Paramount) - Season 5 - premieres 11/13/22

:confused: I still don't understand what you mean "Moving to Paramount Live" It's always been airing on linear cable on the Paramount Network. It's not a streaming series. It was a linear cable series and is the most watched cable series. The back seasons were licensed to Peacock.

DJariya 05-03-23 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14268231)
Yeah I don't understand that comment. Yellowstone has always been on Paramount Network first and foremost, it's their main show.

Streaming wise, Paramount+ gets the current season, Peacock gets past seasons (due to pre-existing contracts).

Paramount + does not get the current season of Yellowstone. It's the Paramount Network app that is user authenticated with your cable log-in.

Paramount + won't get Yellowstone until around 2027 when the Peacock deal ends.

RichC2 05-03-23 02:33 PM

Ah my bad, I misread their website (I don't have Paramount+ currently)

Dr. DVD 05-03-23 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 14268225)
I tuned out season 5 when I found out it was moved to Paramount's LIVE channel. I said, "FUCK THIS", canceled Paramount + and haven't looked back since.

The only question I have...is how Sheridan is going to end it all. A big meteor from the sky with a super-cowboy-cool music video of people riding horses fading to black? :lol:

John Dutton was killed in a car crash driving to Vegas...

DVD Polizei 05-03-23 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 14268268)
John Dutton was killed in a car crash driving to Vegas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvAjX5ACPo

That works. :lol:

RichC2 05-05-23 08:06 AM

Season 5b will debut in November and conclude the series, the sequel series - which is still negotiating with Matthew McConaughey - has been greenlit for a December debut.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/yellows...nt-1235357050/

While it ends the original series, the new series will be able to stream on Paramount+ which also likely played into this decision.

DJariya 05-05-23 09:24 AM

Not surprising considering the mess with Costner. But, are they sure they can make the November air time with the strike? If the scripts are written and Costner is available to work and wrap it up, then sure.

Neil M. 05-05-23 10:08 PM

I don't know when he'd even fit it in. According to Costner, he's directing 3 films over the next eight months.

Runaway 05-08-23 03:49 AM

I don't mind the show's ending in it's current form, but I'd hope Costner is getting out clean as part of the story and not off screen.

dex14 05-09-23 12:12 PM

If you’re curious whether the relationship between Kevin Costner and the producers and cast of Yellowstone has improved lately, Paramount declined to give Costner a courtesy heads up before the announcement Friday that the biggest show on TV is ending in November. So… not great. Per multiple sources involved in this high-stakes, months-long standoff, Costner, who’s busy shooting the sequel to his still-undated Horizon film, hasn’t agreed to return at all for the final episodes, which were being written by co-creator Taylor Sheridan prior to Monday’s WGA strike and were planned for a summer and fall shoot.

Over the past couple months, various Costner scenarios have been floated, per sources close to the production. Paramount’s Chris McCarthy and Yellowstone producer David Glasser suggested anywhere from 30 days to 45 days of shooting; Costner’s team has countered with a range from one week to three weeks, with the latest interactions suggesting the lower end of that timeline. Paramount has been waiting a while for Costner’s lawyer, Howard Kaplan, to provide a final answer on what Costner is willing to do, so McCarthy just decided to announce the end date for the episodes, the first few of which have been written with flexibility to allow for various levels of Costner involvement (or non-involvement). Remember, this show was supposed to air its 5B season in June. Given how long Costner has jerked around the show’s creatives and executives, I’d probably do the same.

One amusing wrinkle: I’m told Costner, who’s making $1.2 million per episode this season, won’t commit to returning until he finds out and is comfortable with how his John Dutton character is written out of the franchise. Costner is pretty savvy, and he wants to prevent what Shonda Rhimes did to Patrick Dempsey, killing off the race car-driving Grey’s Anatomy star in an F-you car accident. So Sheridan may not be able to dispose of his Western-loving leading man via a kick from an angry horse.

As for Matthew McConaughey, the potential lead of the follow-up series, he’s pretty much in, I’m told. This unnamed spin-off will be the first with Yellowstone in the title, and thus the first show with that valuable moniker on Paramount+ in the U.S., not Peacock. But Paramount can’t announce McConaughey until executives figure out the shooting schedule and other logistics for Yellowstone: McConaughey, and that’s dependent on both the WGA strike and on Costner and his ongoing Yellowstone tantrum. (A rep for Paramount and Costner’s litigator Marty Singer both declined to comment.)
https://puck.news/kevin-costner-wont...one-an-answer/

jpcamb 05-10-23 12:18 PM

the show is such a soap opera I will finish season 5 but don't know if it will be good after Costner leaves. Im guessing that old wound from season one was a real issue and he dies from that. LOL

Rob V 05-10-23 12:43 PM

The truth is, Costner is the shittiest ranch owner on the planet. How he keeps that place afloat is a fucking mystery. They should just have him default on his taxes and deed it to McConaughy is the most lackluster cowboy music video scene ever.

Why So Blu? 05-30-23 01:08 PM

Just binged season 5 and it meanders way more than any of the previous seasons. They literally made music videos out of some of the god awful country acts they kep showcasing in almost every episode. I hope S6 brings more focus on tribal lands issue. Also, I get Beth is the most popular character on the show, but they need to sideline her a bit. I guess if they did that she would stop being the most popular character, so who fucking knows.

Deftones 06-21-23 11:38 AM

Sheridan finally spoke a little about Costner's exit: https://www.darkhorizons.com/taylor-...lowstone-exit/

DJariya 06-21-23 12:20 PM

Sheridan also says he may extend the season a little to properly wrap it up.

https://tvline.com/news/yellowstone-...st-1235003453/

Why So Blu? 06-21-23 06:39 PM

The full Sheridan article from Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...140000369.html

DJariya 06-21-23 07:06 PM

The full article on Sheridan is a great read. It’s very long, but it gives a lot of insight into his creative decisions. It really sounds like he prefers to do almost everything himself, which is nuts. And it also sounds like he fell behind on Yellowstone scripts this season with all his other projects and that’s why we’re stuck in this delay. And the WGA strike isn’t helping.

PhantomStranger 06-26-23 02:19 AM

I wonder how Paramount's looming failure (their streaming service is a complete money sink) affects things.

And Yellowstone prequel 1883 is running on Sundays starting next week on regular cable, the Paramount Network. So if you didn't catch it yet, now is your chance.

DJariya 07-17-23 07:46 PM

For those of you who won't pay for cable or streaming, you can watch Yellowstone heavily edited for CBS :lol: It will be unwatchable with Kelly Reilly bleeped to hell.

PhantomStranger 07-17-23 09:35 PM

I find airing old content a bit strange but the ratings are so terrible these days for broadcast I guess any recognizable brand can play.

DJariya 07-17-23 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 14297872)
I find airing old content a bit strange but the ratings are so terrible these days for broadcast I guess any recognizable brand can play.

It's filling a Sunday timeslot. But, I'm curious who is actually going to watch this? Maybe some Middle America 70 year old who only watches OTA TV?

And it's going to be chopped up content-wise too and edited for time.

RichC2 07-18-23 07:57 AM

Pretty much. Older folks that don't have cable and don't really "get" streaming. AKA CBS's key demo, who also probably doesn't DVR.

dex14 07-18-23 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14297965)
Pretty much. Older folks that don't have cable and don't really "get" streaming. AKA CBS's key demo, who also probably doesn't DVR.

Bingo.

Count Dooku 07-18-23 12:42 PM

On Saturday, I had a conversation with a friend's father who is in his late 60s. I was recommending Jury Duty on FreeVee. He said he did not do any streaming because he did not want to pay for anything like Netflix. I told him FreeVee was free. He still said "figuring out how to use it" was too much trouble. When I tried to explain it was not complicated, he just became adamant.

He has Spectrum cable. All he wants to do is turn on the TV and have shows to watch. He doesn't want to anything more complicated than change the channels or use the channel guide.

Funny thing is, the whole time I was there, he was complaining about how lousy the cable service was with the connection going in and out. He has already had Spectrum come out twice in as many months to try to improve the performance.

------------------------

I've never seen an episode of regular Yellowstone, and would like to watch it, but I am well past a commitment to watching a TV series on a network's weekly schedule.

DJariya 07-18-23 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 14298082)
I've never seen an episode of regular Yellowstone, and would like to watch it, but I am well past a commitment to watching a TV series on a network's weekly schedule.

Well, the entire series including the most recent season is on Peacock (if you have access to it)