DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Yellowstone (Paramount) - Season 5 - premieres 11/13/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/656136-yellowstone-paramount-season-5-premieres-11-13-22-a.html)

DJariya 02-06-23 03:59 PM

Re: Yellowstone (Paramount) - Season 5 - premieres 11/13/22

Costner isn't on social media, but he does have an account for his band. If this gets blown up even more by the press, I'm sure he will release some kind of statement denying it and saying it was completely blown out of proportion. Unless he truly doesn't care.

It's not really that surprising. Actors who get older and with him holding an Executive Producer title always want to work less. But, in this case, it sounds problematic for Sheridan and the studio.

dex14 02-06-23 04:09 PM

I'm not surprised. When I saw how much time he was spending on his directorial effort, I wondered how it would impact Yellowstone. I'm surprised he stuck around as long as he did. But the money talks.

Probably better for Paramount in the long run since the streaming rights to new show will be theirs.

PhantomStranger 02-06-23 05:44 PM

I guess now Paramount has to design a decent transition to the new show. Yellowstone hangs on Costner and I guess he grew bored doing the same character for five seasons. No one anticipated Yellowstone becoming a massive hit, there was a good chance Costner was planning to walk away after season one but came back anyway.

DJariya 02-06-23 05:49 PM

Even though Costner is working on a movie, they can always find a way to film around his other shooting schedule. John is not in every scene. It sounds like both parties don't really want to come to a compromise.

And the Deadline story made it sound like they weren't finished filming season 5 yet, which I find odd, unless that's the reason why they have an ambiguous "summer" return date.

stingermck 02-06-23 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 14231106)
, there was a good chance Costner was planning to walk away after season one but came back anyway.

That's true. Dutton was dying of cancer until he got diagnosed from a Veterinarian and was cancer free :lol:

DJariya 02-21-23 04:32 PM

Costner's lawyer refutes the Deadline report about him wanting to work less.

dex14 02-21-23 04:36 PM

I think that summer return is out the window at this point considering they haven't written the episodes and started filming yet.

DJariya 02-21-23 04:41 PM

Wow they haven't written any of the back 6 yet? It's approaching March. At this point, they would be lucky to make a August air date.

I assume Sheridan is slammed working on Lioness right now.

DJariya 02-21-23 04:45 PM

And Paramount fucked themselves hard signing away Yellowstone to Peacock

dex14 02-21-23 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14238115)
Wow they haven't written any of the back 6 yet? It's approaching March. At this point, they would be lucky to make a August air date.

I assume Sheridan is slammed working on Lioness right now.

He can't write episodes if he doesn't know how much time he'll get Costner. It probably won't come back until October or November.

DJariya 02-21-23 06:38 PM

The Puck, which is apparently a new entertainment publication that industry people are looking at, wrote a pretty damning write up about Costner's Diva-like behavior.

And Costner's assistant made a pretty insulting remark about Sheridan's Tulsa King.

https://puck.news/casualties-of-the-...one-crossfire/''

MrX 02-22-23 08:47 AM

Half of each episode at this point is an extended country music video and footage of cowboys riding horses. Throw in a scene in the bunkhouse, John sitting on his porch at dusk, Beth emasculating Jamie, Kayce and Monica having marital problems and you have an episode.

jpcamb 02-22-23 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 14238359)
Half of each episode at this point is an extended country music video and footage of cowboys riding horses. Throw in a scene in the bunkhouse, John sitting on his porch at dusk, Beth emasculating Jamie, Kayce and Monica having marital problems and you have an episode.

I like your Moxie kid! You're hired! :D

PhantomStranger 02-22-23 09:50 PM

The country music video stuff was fine...the first time they did it. Unfortunately, they keep going back to that well like a CW program.

johnnysd 02-23-23 02:04 PM

I like the show in its own way, but if it disappeared not sure I would really care all that much

jpcamb 02-23-23 02:08 PM

I honestly don't recall seeing too many tweets from lawyers in the past regarding stuff like this. Kind of a strange flex not coming form his talent agency and such..

dex14 04-02-23 08:41 AM

Sounds like there's still trouble...

In the wake of a lengthy list of no-shows at Saturday’s PaleyFest, Paramount is still holding out hope for the future of Yellowstone.

Despite the original RSVP list announced in mid-January confirming their PaleyFest attendance, creator Taylor Sheridan, executive producer David Glasser and cast members Kevin Costner (John Dutton), Kelly Reilly (Beth Dutton), Cole Hauser (Rip Wheeler), Luke Grimes (Kayce Dutton), Kelsey Asbille (Monica Dutton), Wes Bentley (Jamie Dutton), Gil Birmingham (Thomas Rainwater) and Jacki Weaver (Caroline Warner) were all absent.

Just minutes before the red carpet was set to begin, members of the press were given a tip sheet with only four Yellowstone names: Josh Lucas (young John Dutton), Wendy Moniz (Lynelle Perry), Mo Brings Plenty (Mo) and Dawn Olivieri (Sarah Atwood).

Yet, during a panel at the Los Angeles event, Paramount Network development president Keith Cox told the crowd that he’s “very confident” Costner is still committed to the series and is hopeful that production will begin soon, our sister site Variety reported.

In February, a behind-the-scenes dispute with Costner surfaced over shooting schedules, with the Oscar winner allegedly wanting to limit himself to just one week of shooting on the remaining eight episodes of Season 5. It was reported to be a “source of frustration” for series creator Sheridan, and was allegedly “causing morale problems with his co-stars.” The actor’s attorney later called that report “an absolute lie.”

Filming for the back half of Season 5, which was supposed to air this summer, has not yet begun. There is still no date set for finishing the season.
https://tvline.com/2023/04/02/yellow...-release-date/

DJariya 04-02-23 09:31 PM

I assume the scripts for the rest of season 5 are all written (with Costner in there). But, this alleged standoff with Costner is what is delaying things. Sheridan and his limited writing staff can't just sit there and do nothing. I hope they can resolve things, but it doesn't sound like it's happening anytime soon. In the meantime, Sheridan already has enough projects to keep him busy.

MrX 04-03-23 09:36 AM

It was confirmed at the event that the McConaughey spinoff is going forward whether or not Costner returns.

MrX 05-03-23 01:19 PM

Still no word about the rest of season 5.

DJariya 05-03-23 01:29 PM

Welp, Yellowstone is basically done then. If the rest of season 5's scripts aren't done and especially with the strike, then the 5th season will just be incomplete now.

And Costner's wife filed for divorce yesterday as well. His personal life is a mess.

DVD Polizei 05-03-23 02:08 PM

I tuned out season 5 when I found out it was moved to Paramount's LIVE channel. I said, "FUCK THIS", canceled Paramount + and haven't looked back since.

The only question I have...is how Sheridan is going to end it all. A big meteor from the sky with a super-cowboy-cool music video of people riding horses fading to black? :lol:

DJariya 05-03-23 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 14268225)
I tuned out season 5 when I found out it was moved to Paramount's LIVE channel. I said, "FUCK THIS", canceled Paramount + and haven't looked back since.

What do you mean "Moved to Paramount's Live channel?" It's been on Paramount Network since it premiered in 2018. Paramount + doesn't even carry the back seasons. They are on Peacock.

DVD Polizei 05-03-23 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14268227)
What do you mean "Moved to Paramount's Live channel?" It's been on Paramount Network since it premiered in 2018. Paramount + doesn't even carry the back seasons. They are on Peacock.

You're right it was Peacock. I canceled that one as well, looking at my account. I must've waited for Season 5 to come on Peacock's network then when I found out it was moving to Paramount LIVE, and Paramount + just wasn't good enough...I canceled them all.

I'm getting tired of these companies milking their shows and the shows getting worse and worse. Seems like they kinda got what they deserved.

Sheridan has way too much on his plate as well. I hope he doesn't ruin his other shows.

RichC2 05-03-23 02:16 PM

Yeah I don't understand that comment. Yellowstone has always been on Paramount Network first and foremost, it's their main show.

Streaming wise, Paramount+ gets the current season, Peacock gets past seasons (due to pre-existing contracts).