Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Wrexham (FX) - docuseries about Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds as owners of a football club

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Welcome to Wrexham (FX) - docuseries about Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds as owners of a football club

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 08:33 AM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts

Rob McElhenney. Ryan Reynolds. Wrexham, Wales. To this town, football is not life and death. It’s more important than that. Watch the OFFICIAL TRAILER for FX’s Welcome to Wrexham, an original documentary series. Premieres August 24th on FX. Stream on Hulu. #WrexhamFX

Rob McElhenney (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) navigate running the third oldest professional football club in the world. Welcome to Wrexham is a docuseries tracking the dreams and worries of Wrexham, a working-class town in North Wales, UK, as two Hollywood stars take ownership of the town’s historic yet struggling football club.

In 2020, Rob and Ryan teamed up to purchase the 5th tier Red Dragons in the hopes of turning the club into an underdog story the whole world could root for. The worry? Rob and Ryan have no experience in football or working with each other. From Hollywood to Wales, from the pitch to the locker room, the front office to the pub, Welcome to Wrexham will track Rob and Ryan’s crash course in football club ownership and the inextricably connected fates of a team and a town counting on two actors to bring some serious hope and change to a community that could use it.

The docuseries is produced by Boardwalk Pictures.
WELCOME TO WREXHAM

Season 1 Episode Descriptions

Dream
101 8/24/2022 10 p.m. ET/PT
Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney attempt a takeover of the world's third oldest professional football (a.k.a. soccer) club, located in Wrexham, a working class town in northern Wales in the United Kingdom.

Reality
102 8/24/2022 10:30 p.m. ET/PT
Wrexham Football Club attempts to qualify for the playoffs as their new owners try to (very quickly) learn the ins and outs of a game and an industry they know nothing about.
Old 08-23-22, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts
Re: Welcome to Wrexham (FX) - docuseries about Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds as owners of a football clu

I give zero fucks about soccer, but this looks interesting. The fact I like Rob and Ryan makes this an instawatch.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (08-23-22)
Old 08-23-22, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,070 Likes on 848 Posts
Re: Welcome to Wrexham (FX) - docuseries about Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds as owners of a football clu

Yeah I'm interested in watching this despite my lack of interest in soccer. It's been a fun "feel good" story to follow in the news and it seems to be good for the folks in the area as well as game attendance has been off the charts.

Plus it has "Ted Lasso in real life" vibes.

The behind the scenes ADR dubbing of Adam Project was kind of neat, very casual setup.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-24-22 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

2 episodes aired/up on Hulu. Just watched the 1st. This is amazing. All the comedy of the 2 guys with the added benefit of being an underdog story. Really cool. I hope this ends up going multiple seasons.

Last edited by Deftones; 08-25-22 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 214 Posts

The first two episodes were nicely done. It was a good choice to run two, as the end of the second leaves you in an interesting place if the series is working for you.

Last edited by DWilson; 08-26-22 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-25-22, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really enjoyed this as well.
Old 08-26-22, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

I really enjoyed this, but I have become a very casual EFL fan. I really liked the Netflix Sunderland til I Die series.
Old 08-26-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

This basically a less wholesome but still funny Lasso clone?

Also, it’s amazing how young Rob looks when he shaves. He was guest hosting a talk show recently and he looked like half the age he normally does.
Old 08-26-22, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Also, it’s amazing how young Rob looks when he shaves.
That pretty much goes for any guy. Quick way to lose 10 years.
Old 08-26-22, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This basically a less wholesome but still funny Lasso clone?

Also, it’s amazing how young Rob looks when he shaves. He was guest hosting a talk show recently and he looked like half the age he normally does.
Naw, it's more sports doc with a few quirky people mixed in, same amount of cursing though. It still has some funny bits in it, and it's actually a little more heartfelt than I was expecting.

Cutting people from a team has to suck, even if they know it's coming.

I did think it was funny that Rob and Ryan had never met in person prior to the teams purchase. I wonder how Reynold's investments are doing overall (Aviation obviously paid out, but 1Password, Mint Mobile and Wrexham are question marks.)

Last edited by RichC2; 08-26-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-26-22, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Mint mobile is supposedly doing very well. There were rumors of it being sold for up to $800M last year. No idea if there are any deals still in the works.

Last edited by Deftones; 08-26-22 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-26-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 860 Likes on 631 Posts

I watched the first episode last night and I enjoyed it. I'm not a soccer fan, but I'll keep watching.
Old 08-26-22, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

I enjoyed the first two episodes. I don’t follow or really care about soccer but this show seems to be more about the personal lives and the effect on the town and its people than it is about the actual sport. This had a lot more heart than I was expecting.
Old 08-26-22, 09:42 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

I liked it as well. Funny they never met in person until they co-owned this team. Not that funny really. I mean losing the final game and sacking the coach and most of the team. The two of them are going to have a lot to do, but I’ll gladly go along for the ride.
Old 08-28-22, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Yeah looks like a real Ted Lasso will check this out.
Old 09-29-22, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone keeping up with this? Such a great show, speaking as someone who didn't know about their purchase of the club of what they've done with it since. I've been tempted to see how the team is doing today but I don't want to potentially spoil anything coming up in the season. It's become must watch for my wife and I Thursdays after work.
Old 09-29-22, 08:27 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm enjoying it.

I'm glad they have episodes like the one last night on the Hooligans and it's not just following Rob and Ryan around.
Old 10-01-22, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Anyone keeping up with this? Such a great show, speaking as someone who didn't know about their purchase of the club of what they've done with it since. I've been tempted to see how the team is doing today but I don't want to potentially spoil anything coming up in the season. It's become must watch for my wife and I Thursdays after work.
Same. Really enjoying the show but staying away from the live season results.
Old 10-05-22, 09:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

My DVR guide is saying there are 4 new episodes on tonight.
Old 10-06-22, 07:54 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The episode where Ryan was at the game and Rob was commenting on the couch was great

”He doesn’t hug Blake that much”
Old 10-07-22, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also surprised to see 4 episodes air. It’s 18 total, I think?

Really like the show but one thing it’s making clear is that having a good football club boils down to spending money. It’s not a story of scrappy underdogs doing well. It’s a story of buying two great players and manager and seeing the team do well with them.
Old 10-07-22, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah. I would imagine all of the other fans of teams in their league hate Wrexham.
Old 10-10-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Also surprised to see 4 episodes air. It’s 18 total, I think?

Really like the show but one thing it’s making clear is that having a good football club boils down to spending money. It’s not a story of scrappy underdogs doing well. It’s a story of buying two great players and manager and seeing the team do well with them.
But that is all sports. The tiered system in the UK is intriguing to me, but it really seems to get promoted to next level you have to keep spending money on talent to progress. They need chemistry with the players too, but have to have the better talent. I watched the Netflix series Sunderland 'Til I Die and they stated in the show that the top 4 tiers were professional and from there it went to semi-professional to basically beer league. That series covered Sunderland be relegated two years in a row.
Old 10-10-22, 04:46 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts

Seems like they’re just burning off these eps. 3 next week. I don’t think it’s getting the viewers it deserves.
Old 10-10-22, 05:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 124 Posts

if you guys like this you should check out welcome to Sunderland til I die - less celebrity owners, but very good stuff
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (10-10-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.