TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

RuPauls Secret Celebrity Edition Drag Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 03:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
RuPauls Secret Celebrity Edition Drag Race

Anyone else on here watching this?

Personally I LOVE IT!

Especially since they moved the regular edition Drag Race to Paramount Plus (which I am not gonna spring for until somebody figures how to offer some bundling packages with multiple different streaming companies )

I thought last summer's version was kind of lame but they have revamped this summer's into a fun guessing game so you don't find out who the celebrity is until they get booted at the end of the episode.
Also AMAZING choreography routines that take me back to the best days of SYTYCD.

If you like SYTYCD and consider yourself a reasonably tolerant progressive person, check this out!
Old 08-26-22, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: RuPauls Secret Celebrity Edition Drag Race

I watch every single drag race offshoot they make (and by the way, Drag Race Phillipines is airing right now, and it SLAPS!) but even I can't get excited for this one. Not interested in Z-list celebrities that I've never heard of dressing up in drag.
Old 08-26-22, 03:04 PM

Last year was definitely Z-list but I think they got some decent ones this time...so far Loretta Devine and Taylor Dayne (and they both deserved to go)

I wasn't thinking I'd enjoy it either but the show is really just about the lip-sync performances and it goes by quick. So far the routines have been pretty impressive. Its a fun mindless watch, perfect for summer.

How the hell do I get to see the Philippines drag race! I've seen some pretty intense Filipino drag queen fights on Santa Monica Blvd at 3am live in person so I can definitely imagine that one being insane.
Old 08-26-22, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
Last year was definitely Z-list but I think they got some decent ones this time...so far Loretta Devine and Taylor Dayne (and they both deserved to go)

I wasn't thinking I'd enjoy it either but the show is really just about the lip-sync performances and it goes by quick. So far the routines have been pretty impressive. Its a fun mindless watch, perfect for summer.

How the hell do I get to see the Philippines drag race! I've seen some pretty intense Filipino drag queen fights on Santa Monica Blvd at 3am live in person so I can definitely imagine that one being insane.
You have to subscribe to wow presents+ ... it's $5 a month, but you can watch all the non-US versions of drag race: Canada, Spain, Thailand, Phillipines, Holland, France, Down Under, UK, Vs the World, and Italy

The Phillipines one is a lot of fun, it's about 1/2 in english. Seems like most of the girls already know each other, so there's a ton of drama. Plus Jiggly Caliente is one of the permanent judges.

I'm still not sold on the celebrity one ... I'd have to spend another $6 a month to add VH1 to my channel list, and I'm not sure I'd get that much value from it.

Last edited by joeblow69; 08-26-22 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I broke down and watched episode 1 last night, and it was actually really good! I will risk the wrath of the hive-mind though, and say I wish there weren't quite as many women contestants. I just don't find their transformation from woman -> drag queen to be as exciting.

Had no idea who that woman who went home in episode 1 was though. My partner thought she looked familiar, so. I guess that's something.
Old 09-01-22, 01:50 PM

Loretta Devine has been around for years, mostly doing TV shows but she has been in a few big movies too like 'Crash' and 'Waiting to Exhale'

I agree the female contestants aren't as fun to watch for me either but its understandable that they want to get in on the fun too.

Just having a makeup team and custom made clothing at your demand and then dressing up in slutty outfits that are so over the top nobody recognizes you looks fun as hell.

I enjoy watching the guys who are obviously straight camp it up and when they can pick up the choreography and dance well its a fun surprise. I'm still trying to figure out who the guy is playing Poppy Love. The other guys left are obviously gay so I expect this to be easy for them.