Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 06:04 PM

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,188 Posts
Re: The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

DC tweeted it was renewed, but deleted the tweet.

Old 11-02-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,769 Likes on 2,700 Posts
Re: The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Deadline is confirming the renewal

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
chowderhead (11-02-22), Giantrobo (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,953 Posts

The wording of the initial (and now deleted) tweet from DC Comics is curious...

Spoiler:
"The dream continues. @Netflix_Sandman will return with new episodes based on multiple volumes of the Neil Gaiman graphic novel to explore even more stories of the Endless."

It doesn't actually say it was renewed for a second season, only that it will return with new episodes based on "multiple volumes" of the graphic novel.

That sent my weasel-word detector into high alert.

The avoidance of mentioning a "second season" and the length of time it took Netflix to make a decision makes nervous about the prospect that they were working out a way to pocket cancel the series, like they could just trickle out a special or two every year, just enough to maintain their license and prevent the series from moving to another platform like Amazon Prime or Apple TV+.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-03-22 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-03-22, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, it's strange that the official sources (DC Comics, Neil Gaiman, Netflix) are avoiding using the phrase "second season" and just saying things like "continues" and "additional episodes."

It's the press (like Deadline) and posters on social media who are referring to it being renewed for a second season while the official sources are going out of their way to avoid using the word "season." It's not that hard to say "renewed for a second season."
Old 11-03-22, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

I think you're being paranoid. The fact that they cite "multiple volumes" for the new episodes means it's a sizeable number of episodes, probably on par with season 1, which covered 2 volumes of the comic.

Like, the Netflix blog post doesn't explicitly say "second season," but it also doesn't say "first season" or "season 1," just "first 11 episodes.
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articl...ent-new-season
“There are some astonishing stories waiting for Morpheus and the rest of them (not to mention more members of the Endless Family to meet),” Gaiman continued. “Nobody is going to be happier about this than the Sandman cast and crew: They are the biggest Sandman fans there are. And now it’s time to get back to work. There’s a family meal ahead, after all. And Lucifer is waiting for Morpheus to return to Hell…”

“I’m profoundly grateful to Netflix and to Warner Bros. — to the artists and crew who made our first 11 episodes so magical — and to the extraordinary fans of The Sandman, who advocated tirelessly — endlessly — on the show’s behalf and made it possible for us to continue telling Morpheus’ story,” showrunner Allan Heinberg tells Tudum.

“And now we get to meet the rest of the Endless!” executive producer David S. Goyer adds.
Based on Neil's quote, it seems they're going to cover Season of Mists. I guess worst case, it could be they're doing a 'half season" of adapting one full storyline/volume, and then a few standalone stories, like the two from Dream Country they didn't do. So maybe only 5-6 episodes. That could be why they're avoiding saying "season 2," since people may expect a season of similar length, and feel Sandman's been "cut down," by Netflix not ordering as many episodes in the renewal.

It's all speculation though.
Old 11-03-22, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course I'm being paranoid. I really don't trust Netflix and their weird metrics and renewal procedures.

Apparently, the Sandman viewers didn't follow the typical Netflix binge pattern, they could do something like abandon traditional seasons for Sandman, and do four episodes of "Season of Mists," at one per day (similar to Cabinet of Curiosities), then wait a month or so, release another special like "Dream of a Thousand Cats/Calliope," then, a few months later, "A Game of You."
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Crocker Jarmen (11-03-22), Giantrobo (11-03-22), story (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Apparently, the Sandman viewers didn't follow the typical Netflix binge pattern, they could do something like abandon traditional seasons for Sandman, and do four episodes of "Season of Mists," at one per day (similar to Cabinet of Curiosities), then wait a month or so, release another special like "Dream of a Thousand Cats/Calliope," then, a few months later, "A Game of You."
Personally I think this is a good idea. Having 2 completely disjointed stories stuffed into one season felt really strange to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by joeblow69:
Giantrobo (11-03-22), story (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,172 Posts

I'm just happy for the renewal. Frankly, even though Netflix hates Non-Bingers and punishes them with canceling shows...I did try to not binge Sandman, but got way too into the series and finished it pretty fast. I then had to fill the void with various Sandman podcasts which really broke down things. Once of which, "Endless: A Sandman Podcast" is great because it features Alisa Kwitney who worked as an Editor at DC/Vertigo. She is friends with Neil and worked directly with him as he was writing Sandman back in the 80's/90's so she brings some great perspective.
Old 11-04-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Personally I think this is a good idea. Having 2 completely disjointed stories stuffed into one season felt really strange to me.
Yeah, I think it may be a presentation thing rather than budget, necessarily. Deliver one story arc per season going forward, with a few standalone episodes as well. Neil mentioned that Dream of a Thousand Cats was originally supposed to air much later due to the production time needed for an animated episode, but the delay in the live action production let it catch up. So if they plan and produce a standalone episode that takes a longer production and gets released separately, that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

And it's just a very weird perspective to me, to claim that Netflix is "killing" the show by producing more episodes, when the simplest most straightforward way to kill the show is to... just not make any more of it. It's not like Netflix is shy about killing underperforming shows.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (11-05-22)
Old 03-05-23, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Preludes & Nocturnes review (episodes 1-5):
This was very good. I haven't read the comic in years because it's the one TPB I loaned out to someone a long while ago and havent replaced (it was signed and personalized, too, not sure where it is now). It is true to what I remember and deviations made sense. The production value is top notch and the acting works for me.

I was not looking forward to episode five and it was hard to get through. It's definitely a tough read as a comic book and was excrutiating to listen to in the Audible productiom from last year. This was hard to watch, too. I'm not a fan of torture and watching Dee torture was torture for me, too.

The Sound of Her Wings / Men of Good Fortune review (episode 6):
I've never looked more forward to a particular hour of television in my life. Thirty years of buildup and I'm blown away. Incredible.

Looking forward to The Doll's House (episodes 7-10)!
Interesting breakdown - thanks. I didn’t know the season was broken into different stories. I’ve never read them so assumed the first season was one long story.

I finally finished episode 5, and it was a doozy. Talk about a bottle episode. However, it was so well done. Tense throughout, and you could tell the directing choose to bathe all the scenes in red. As the episode progressed the red became more and more intense. Really well crafted.

What confused me is how it seemed to resolve the sin plot. Seemed as though he was going to be more important.
story (03-05-23)
Old 03-05-23, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,178 Likes on 917 Posts

Never finished this. I was enjoying it and I read the first trade paperback collection of the comics and enjoyed it too but stopped watching the show and never went back to it. Maybe my fiancée and I will it again at some point.
Old 05-20-24, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The rest of the Endless have been cast...

https://tvline.com/casting-news/the-...al-1235243861/

Esme Creed-Miles as Delirium. Adrian Lester as Destiny. Barry Sloane as D... uhm... The Prodigal.

Let's see...

Destiny doesn't really have a lot to do during the course of the story, and since his face is hidden by a monk's cowl, it's going to come down to the voice.

Esme Creed-Miles looks a little too clean and pretty in that photo play Delirium, but I ran a google image search on her and she can definitely pull off the look. Delirium (and the Prodigal brother) will feature prominently in an upcoming story arc, so they'll need to get those parts nailed.

Barry Sloane seems like a kind of generic choice to play the missing brother. I was hoping they might go with Kristofer Hivju, who absolutely resembles the character with and without the beard, but he might not be willing to cut off his beard. (The character is bearded in his appearances in antiquity, but clean-shaven in the modern day.)
Giantrobo (05-20-24)
Old 05-21-24, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,049 Likes on 644 Posts

Esme Creed-Miles was good in the Hanna series on Amazon.
Thos19 (05-23-24)