Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,686 Likes on 2,651 Posts

Dream Dangerously. Enter the world of THE SANDMAN on August 5, only on Netflix. There is another world that waits for all of us when we close our eyes and sleep — a place called the Dreaming, where The Sandman, Master of Dreams (Tom Sturridge), gives shape to all of our deepest fears and fantasies. But when Dream is unexpectedly captured and held prisoner for a century, his absence sets off a series of events that will change both the dreaming and waking worlds forever. To restore order, Dream must journey across different worlds and timelines to mend the mistakes he’s made during his vast existence, revisiting old friends and foes, and meeting new entities — both cosmic and human — along the way.

Based on the beloved award-winning DC comic series written by Neil Gaiman, THE SANDMAN is a rich, character-driven blend of myth and dark fantasy woven together over the course of ten epic chapters following Dream’s many adventures. Developed and executive produced by Gaiman, showrunner Allan Heinberg, and David S. Goyer.

Decided to do a fresh thread for actual discussion of the show.

10 episodes are dropping Friday. Please use spoiler tags since not everyone here will be watching this on the same schedule.

And if you want to have actual engaged discussion, please detail what episode your talking about before putting blind spoiler tags.
Old 08-05-22, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts
Re: The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

I'd like to get started on this right now, but the Mrs. and I are going to make this a Harlan Ellison-style movie crawl either tonight or tomorrow night.

Already have our boxes of candy (Mike & Ikes and Peanut M&Ms) and our bottles of soda and cans of energy drink waiting to be dropped into an ice-filled Yeti cooler. When the sun begins to set, we'll send out for a supreme pizza, a meat lovers pizza, an order of burning hot buffalo wings, and an order of barbecue wings. Then we'll turn off the lights, shut ourselves in our home theater with our goodies, and spend the next ten hours in sheer movie bliss.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (08-05-22)
Old 08-05-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Re: The Sandman (Netflix) -- Based on the DC comic -- Season 1 thread -- Premieres 8/5/22

Ive decided im going to do my best to not binge this. I think i may stretch it and watch 1-2 a week til done.
Old 08-05-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Reviews are pretty good: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_sandman
Old 08-05-22, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd like to get started on this right now, but the Mrs. and I are going to make this a Harlan Ellison-style movie crawl either tonight or tomorrow night.

Already have our boxes of candy (Mike & Ikes and Peanut M&Ms) and our bottles of soda and cans of energy drink waiting to be dropped into an ice-filled Yeti cooler. When the sun begins to set, we'll send out for a supreme pizza, a meat lovers pizza, an order of burning hot buffalo wings, and an order of barbecue wings. Then we'll turn off the lights, shut ourselves in our home theater with our goodies, and spend the next ten hours in sheer movie bliss.

Sounds awesome!
Old 08-05-22, 02:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts

so much great stuff to watch this weekend on the services. From this to Prey and Thirteen Lives. Need more hours. should get to all though.
Old 08-05-22, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

Haven't seen this yet, but Robert Meyer Burnett is on Twitter screaming about how crushed the blacks are. I believe he has an OLED, so it can't be his set (and he claims to have watched it on multiple screens).
Old 08-05-22, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Haven't seen this yet, but Robert Meyer Burnett is on Twitter screaming about how crushed the blacks are. I believe he has an OLED, so it can't be his set (and he claims to have watched it on multiple screens).
I have had similar experiences with Netflix in the past. I thought The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina looked absolutely terrible. I've also thought some dark shots in Stranger Things looked a little iffy, too, but not nearly as bad as Sabrina.

I've not seen Sandman yet either, but I suspect that if it does have crushed blacks it has more to do with Netflix over-compressing dark shows than it has to do with covering up with dodgy CGI as RMB suggests.
Old 08-05-22, 09:05 PM

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,156 Posts

I want to savor this, but I am simply enjoying it way too much. This is delightful. I'm a big Sandman fan and this is really working for me. I'm curious if it will work for newcomers but so far, four episodes in, this is incredible.
Old 08-05-22, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I'm curious if it will work for newcomers but so far, four episodes in, this is incredible.
I think it's absolutely gorgeous and I find it hard to stop watching. I'm up to Ep 5.

About 20 years ago, on a whim, I bought the first 7 or 8 issues. I still have them in storage, never opened. So, in essence, I'm a newcomer.
Old 08-05-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

Is this friendly for people who aren't familiar with the source material, or am I going to be confused as hell?
Old 08-05-22, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Is this friendly for people who aren't familiar with the source material, or am I going to be confused as hell?
I've been fine but I don't think it would be good if it was on as background. I would pay attention. There's a lot of dialogue. And funny you should mention hell.
Old 08-06-22, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

My wife and I watched the first four episodes last night and we both loved it. She’s never read any of the books, while I finally just got around to reading the full original run over the past month, so we’re on opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of being familiar with the source material.
Old 08-06-22, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Really enjoying the show so far. I'm on episode 3 but I really can't see anyone other than Matt Ryan as John Constantine now. Every time Johana speaks my mind keeps putting Matt Ryan in her place. What was the point of making the character a woman? It's exactly the same character otherwise.
Old 08-06-22, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F
Really enjoying the show so far. I'm on episode 3 but I really can't see anyone other than Matt Ryan as John Constantine now. Every time Johana speaks my mind keeps putting Matt Ryan in her place. What was the point of making the character a woman? It's exactly the same character otherwise.
I think likely two reasons:
1. Distance this series from the DC Universe.
2. A spoiler for what's to come,
Spoiler:
John Constantine's distant relative from the past, Johanna, shows up in at least two other storyline from Morpheus's past. One may show up in this series, if it plays out like the comics do, and another one would be in a future season. I think they'll use the same actor for this role, thus giving her more to do and streamlining the whole thing for audiences.

majorjoe23 (08-12-22)
Old 08-06-22, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by story
I think likely two reasons:
1. Distance this series from the DC Universe.
If they really wanted to distance the show from the DCU they should have changed the name completely.

As for the spoiler, I'm aware of it. I think people know by now I'm quite well versed in the 90's run of most DC/Vertigo titles, that's when I collected. Sandman wasn't one of the books I collected but Hellblazer and Books of Magic we're. I read all of Sandman later on.

I was hoping HBO Max would adapt more Vertigo titles (Animal Man in particular) for their service but what with what is going on there that doesn't seem likely.
Old 08-06-22, 01:56 PM

I skipped ahead a little to the second half of episode six because I've played the Audible Sandman issue #13 "Men of Good Fortune" for my kids twice on a road trip and they loved it. I showed them this and they were floored that they not only actually made this into a show, but that it was good.

I agree, it was amazing to witness and it really worked. I even think the slight adjustment to the ending works. I'll offer that while I've appreciated how much dialogue is lifted right from the comics, it isn't necessary to me. Still, one line was blatantly missing, and while he admits he made mistakes and learned from them I wish they'd left in the critical line:
Spoiler:
"You were right about the slave trade. I can never make restitution for that, but..."

I think acknowledging that would be good. I've always loved that part of the story.

This issue in particular changed everything for me about comic books whe I was a teenager. And here's the thing: if it was movie, they wouldve cut this out. If it was a lesser show ten or twenty years ago, they would've messed it up or it would've aged as well as anything else from the 1995-2005 era of WB/CW, which is to say not all that well unless you're a die-hard fan.

This show is well-done overall, and I can't believe this show exists and to this degree of quality!

Last edited by story; 08-06-22 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 03:15 PM

Preludes & Nocturnes review (episodes 1-5):
This was very good. I haven't read the comic in years because it's the one TPB I loaned out to someone a long while ago and havent replaced (it was signed and personalized, too, not sure where it is now). It is true to what I remember and deviations made sense. The production value is top notch and the acting works for me.

I was not looking forward to episode five and it was hard to get through. It's definitely a tough read as a comic book and was excrutiating to listen to in the Audible productiom from last year. This was hard to watch, too. I'm not a fan of torture and watching Dee torture was torture for me, too.

The Sound of Her Wings / Men of Good Fortune review (episode 6):
I've never looked more forward to a particular hour of television in my life. Thirty years of buildup and I'm blown away. Incredible.

Looking forward to The Doll's House (episodes 7-10)!
Old 08-06-22, 04:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts

I saw first episode. Never knowing anything about comic or what about. I am definitely intrigued.
Old 08-06-22, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 367 Likes on 267 Posts

That looked like such a long and tedious hike through hell. LOTR level hiking. So much hiking.

This show is a hit. Very entertaining. Good worldbuilding.
Old 08-07-22, 12:42 AM
Banned

It’s been so long since I’ve read the books, I totally forgot that John “D” was supposed to be
Spoiler:
Doctor Destiny
in mainstream DC Comics at the time.

For however good the show is, the books are better. If you haven't read Neil Gaiman’s works, I highly recommend it.
Old 08-07-22, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 367 Likes on 267 Posts

Just got through the diner and 100 year friend episodes. Top tier Netflix.
Old 08-07-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I assume the budget was nuts on this. It definitely shows on the screen.
Old 08-07-22, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I assume the budget was nuts on this. It definitely shows on the screen.
I thought I heard or read $10 million per episode.
Old 08-07-22, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ive decided im going to do my best to not binge this. I think i may stretch it and watch 1-2 a week til done.
Welp...that plan was ruined. This has been really good. Made it to ep7 and I think ill finish this weekend. One thing i was feeling was this show definitely has a Netflix Feel. I feel like if it had been an HBOMax series it would have a very different vibe to it. Oh well...

Pros:
-Death. 😍 I love her so much. She is very likeable and down to Earth. Her scenes where she is doing her job were heartbreaking, beautiful, comforting, etc. The actress was well cast and has done an amazing job. She is also gorgeous. 😍
-Morpheous Actor is doing an amazing job. He has made the role his.
-Lucifer...yesss. scary and snarky.
-The show hitting various Sandman story points

Cons:
-None really thus far other than the episodes lengths seeming to be all over the place. I feel streaming series that aren't 25-30min length should all be a solid 50-60min. This stuff were a series has 40-50min eps with 37min and other weird lengths mixed is annoying. Especially in a series like Sandman were there is so much that needs to able to breath and not get shorted. But that's just me...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-07-22 at 02:22 PM.
Cusm (08-22-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.