Ms. Marvel (S1E05) - “Time and Again” - 7/6/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 04:12 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Ms. Marvel (S1E05) - “Time and Again” - 7/6/22

Old 07-06-22, 11:29 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Ms. Marvel (S1E05) - “Time and Again” - 7/6/22

I really like how this series is progressing. Great to look back and see what we already knew play out. It really added to the emotion of “The Trail of Stars.”

Can’t wait to be back in Jersey for the finale and see what happens when Kamala, Kamran, and “Brian” get their heads together.
Old 07-06-22, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I didn't care for this episode so much. It wasn't bad, just felt kind of unnecessary to spend a whole episode on that backstory. And then the abrupt ending--it felt like a weird/awkward edit on that. I dunno, this one just didn't click for me.
Old 07-06-22, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

It was an OK episode but spending 1/2 of it without the main character in it seems a bit of a detour. I'm finding this a bit like Moon Knight - strong start, muddled finish.

I think a big problem is the 6-episode run time, it doesn't allow for very good pacing when you're trying to introduce a new character, their origins, a conflict, and set up another 10 MCU sequels and such. Six episodes is OK for something like Hawkeye or Loki when we're already well familiar with the characters, but it feels constrained when setting up someone new.

I've found that MM and MK share a lot of the flaws of this approach - is this a show about a teen hero in Brooklyn, a Muslim girl and her culture, a historic tale about Partition (something admittedly very few Americans even know about) or some fuzzily-explained interdimensional characters who just happen to look totally human? I'm not a fan of the many changes they've made from the MM comics and while I know they couldn't make her an Inhuman like in the comics, this whole complicated "bangle" storyline seems to keep taking the focus off of Kamala. Hoping the final episode works a bit better but these last few MCU shows feel cobbled together and trying to shoehorn in about 8 episodes of story in 6.
The following users liked this post:
Wolf359 (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 05:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still thoroughly loving it.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Boo!

What was the point of this episode? We already knew what happened, Nani and the rest of the family told this story numerous times, and Kamala could have easily just seen this in a flashback for a few minutes rather than taking up an entire episode.

Also, why did the evil Gin mom have a change of heart like that out of nowhere? She abandoned her son a couple of times already and just this episode we saw her murder Aisha in the past. It didn’t make any sense.
Old 07-06-22, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I was shocked that this episode, one of six in the series, had zero principle cast members for over half its run time. Felt like a colossal waste of time.
Old 07-06-22, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I appreciated the attempt to tell some backstory, but man trying to squeeze this in for a 6 episode season? I would have been fine if Ms. Marvel was 10-12 episodes, then fine you can add in an episode like this. However, not for a season this short. This felt like the writers tried to cram this in. And the episode was 33 minutes before credits.

I think these super short seasons are hurting the storytelling of some of these Disney + shows.

But, there were some good elements in this episode. The backstory of Kamala's great grandparents and a little telling of the history of Britain's ownership of India.

I didn't hate the episode at all, but it just felt forced in with the limited time they have.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-06-22 at 10:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Boondock Saint (07-07-22), Xander (07-11-22)
Old 07-08-22, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Penultimate episode was ok. Wish there was more time travel elements. My least favorite episode, but still enjoying the show overall.

Good scenes with the Aisha character in the beginning. I bought that love story, even though they only spent 15 minutes on it.

The end credit song was catchy. Will have to look it up.
Old 07-11-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I don't mind a backstory, but yeah I needed more of a hook because that "twist" is easily called at the end of the last episode (and also it makes no sense... it can go through dimensions, fine, but time?). We would've been better served having seen Aisha through the ages with the other Illuminati so we actually, I dunno, feel something when they bite it (also it feels weird to me that Najima waited so long to have a kid, but maybe there's some backstory there).

My initial thought was that Kamran was going to blame Kamala for what happened to his mom.

They better at least tell us down the line why the Clandestine were banished. And we don't really know why Aisha was running from that soldier in the beginning, or are we to assume that it's somehow because of the partition? I highly doubt she was Muslim before she got married or anything.

Also I know this is a weird complaint but Mehwish Hayat was almost distractingly beautiful in that role.
Old 07-11-22, 04:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also I know this is a weird complaint but Mehwish Hayat was almost distractingly beautiful in that role.
That is a weird complaint. You're not wrong though.

Old 07-11-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I was mesmerized by Mehwish Hayat's performance when Aisha first met Hasan, and he was trying to figure her out. Her facial expressions were spot on for that encounter. Combine that with the soft background music and it was perfection.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 07-11-22 at 05:11 PM.