Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E09) -- "All Those Who Wander" -- 6/30/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-22, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E09) -- "All Those Who Wander" -- 6/30/22

When this series was announced, I was thinking that if any TOS character (aside from Spock, who was established as serving with Pike) would have served aboard the Enterprise in this era it would be Scotty since he seemed to have such a deep connection to the ship.
Old 07-03-22, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Too much of a blatant Alien (and some Predator) rip-off for me. A homage is one thing, but this was too much of a direct lift. My least favorite episode of Season 1 because of this.
Old 07-10-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

A good episode. Not my favorite though. One thing that really bugged me though that could have been changed really easily is they should have found that recording by the previous crew later in the episode after the xenomorph/demodog baby gorn chest back bursted. Because they already knew what happened and knew what happened to the crew M'benga looked like a complete idiot not paying more attention to the two survivors. La'an even confronts him about it and M'benga reassured her that everything was fine. Then promptly left. It was pretty ridiculous. Especially after finding out later that containment shield worked in sickbay. Why in the world wouldn't they have put them in there? Move the message to after all that happens and it makes the whole scenario make more sense. SNW has done a pretty good job up until this point making so the characters don't make idiotic mistakes just for the sake of moving the plot along (pet peeve of mine in storytelling). It also seems pretty inconsistent how much La'an and starfleet in general know about the Gorn. First noone has ever seen them and lived to tell the tale. Then La'an remembers little bits and pieces and has to do a mind meld with Spock to remember more. And even in this episode she didn't know much about what was going on until when she needed to know exactly how the gorn would behave to come up with their plan. And especially the end reveal. Did she know that was going to happen? It sure seemed like she did and if she did why the hell didn't she tell anyone?? Also why didn't they just make the wrecked ship a constitution class starship? It looked exactly like the enterprise both inside and out. Which I know is obviously to save money on the sets which is perfectly fine. More kudos to the SFX team. The approach to the planet with the shuttlecraft was movie quality, reminded me of Rogue One where they are approaching the planet Galen Erso was on.

Spoiler:
I didn't like Hemmer's death. I mean it was very well done for the episode and very impactful but damn it I really liked that Andorian. It was neat having an Andorian on the crew since we see relatively little of that species and Hemmer especially was a really awesome character. I really loved his dialogue with Uhura in this episode and in Memento Mori. It was very poignant, very believable dialogue without it being overly cheesy. I'm really surprised and sad they killed him off. And I do hope they killed him off. It was pretty definitive how they killed him and he went out really well, on his own terms, and sacrificing himself for those he cared about and within his own beliefs.

I really like they way they handled Spock's emotions this episode, and in this series in general. Ethan Peck has really grown on me as Spock and I like how they are exploring his character a lot in SNW.
Old 07-10-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it interesting how everyone is saying how much the gorn ripped off from alien and predator, which don't get me wrong it totally did, but Star Trek's history is so extensive and from so long ago that the gorn predate both characters by decades.
Old 07-11-22, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

True but the Gorn from ToS were far from the quick moving and infrared seeing monsters we saw in this episode.
Old 07-11-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh yeah I know and they totally stole that from alien and predator. But still interesting that the gorn still predate them.