Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E07) -- "The Serene Squall" -- 6/16/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-16-22, 04:05 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

The Serene Squall - While on a dangerous humanitarian mission, the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise stumbles into a harrowing game of leverage with the quadrant’s deadliest space pirate.

The episode was written by Beau DeMayo & Sarah Tarkoff and directed by Sydney Freeland.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-16-22 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (S1E07) -- "The Serene Squall" -- 6/16/22

Another great episode. How can you go wrong with space pirates? Hoping Angel makes a return visit, and loved the teaser at the end - finally, redemption for ST V!
Bandoman (06-17-22)
Old 06-16-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Another winner. So far it's pretty much seven for seven. I think my least favorite was "Children of the Comet," and even that one wasn't bad.

I knew right away that Aspen/Angel was hiding something. I figured that she was either working with the pirates, or had some kind of personal agenda. Just didn't know what.

I also kind of saw the big reveal at the end coming. When it was divulged that Angel's plan was to have a Vulcan prisoner released, I knew it was probably someone we knew. My first thought was it was the guy from "Spock Amok," but that didn't quite fit with the dialog. My second thought was you-know-who, but then I immediatley thought "Naw, they won't go there..."

I wouldn't mind seeing Angel again... she could become SNW's Harry Mudd... and I really hope they follow up on the guy at the end.
Bandoman (06-17-22)
Old 06-16-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Thanks Goldberg.
Old 06-16-22, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Thanks Goldberg.
Anytime!

I was sitting down to watch it and didn’t see a thread yet. 😉
DJariya (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 05:11 PM

Ortegas: “How close do you wanna get? First date? Third date?”

Pike: “How about blind date.”

Ortegas: “Going in with caution, got it.”

🤣🤣🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
[email protected] (08-30-22), tanman (06-21-22)
Old 06-16-22, 05:19 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Did they mess up scenes for Una?

-When they're about to go down to the colonists, Pike says "La'an, Una, with me". Which sounds like Una will go down with the away team.
-Then they cut to transporter room and Una is the one that transports them down. So fine, maybe Pike meant to go with them to the transporter room in the previous line (not likely).
-Pirates about to enter the bridge, and Una calls for battle stations and is part of the battle. Ok, so she really is on the ship still.
-Pike gets thrown back in the cell on the surface with the rest of the crew and Una is in the cell. And she's part of the mutiny plan. So she's on the surface??

Last edited by HN; 06-16-22 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

^ Yeah, there's some weirdness going on in this episode.

The way the Una stuff shook down, I assume he wanted her to go with him to the transporter room so he could give her instructions on the way, then sent her back to the bridge to take command of the Enterprise. It's not very clear.

I'm also sort of wondering what happened to the rest of the crew. We had Spock and Chapel playing Diehard on the ship, and the pirates had most of the command crew on in a cage on the Serene Squall. I think the Enterprise has a crew of around 400, so I'm not sure what happened to the rest of them. Did the pirates lock them in their quarters? Put them in the cargo hold? Maybe this was explained and I missed it.

I was also wondering how the pirates managed to take over a ship like the Enterprise with only thirty people, but when it was revealed that the whole kidnapping was just a ruse, then I guess those two hundred lifesigns they thought were the colonists were actually pirates.

I did like Pike's awful "dad joke" at the end. Seemed like something from TOS.
Old 06-16-22, 06:07 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The walk-the-plank? Mount's delivery of that had me cracking up, too, and I'm pretty sure Rebecca Romijn was holding back a real laugh with her "Please, stop" line
Old 06-16-22, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Uhura was MIA again.
Old 06-17-22, 06:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

Another winner. So far it's pretty much seven for seven. I think my least favorite was "Children of the Comet," and even that one wasn't bad.

I knew right away that Aspen/Angel was hiding something. I figured that she was either working with the pirates, or had some kind of personal agenda. Just didn't know what.

I also kind of saw the big reveal at the end coming. When it was divulged that Angel's plan was to have a Vulcan prisoner released, I knew it was probably someone we knew. My first thought was it was the guy from "Spock Amok," but that didn't quite fit with the dialog. My second thought was you-know-who, but then I immediatley thought "Naw, they won't go there..."

I wouldn't mind seeing Angel again... she could become SNW's Harry Mudd... and I really hope they follow up on the guy at the end.
Ditto to everything you said.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Uhura was MIA again.
She's just a cadet, she can't be on the bridge all the time.

I can't believe how much of TOS lore they're exploring while not ruining TOS. I love how they're handling the Spock/T'Pring storyline, and it is completely consistent with TOS (you all noticed T'Pring give an order to Stonn, right? He didn't look too happy when Spock called her from the Enterprise.) The entire cast looks like they're having the time of their lives.
tanman (06-21-22)
Old 06-18-22, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I liked this episode, though it should have been titled "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Christopher Pike."

"It could be a trap, Captain."
"Eh, let's check it out anyway!"
(gets caught in trap)

(gets out of trap)

(rushes headlong into another trap)

The actress who played Angel is on the show Big Sky and had a pretty good story arc in season 1.
Old 06-18-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Captain Angel has been my fave character thus far on SNW. A smart fun villian who is smokin' hot. ..and yes, i know the deal about the actor.

The twist at the end...that was nice because i just listened to a podcast reviewing the previous ep and they talked about that character. 👍🏿

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-18-22 at 05:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Bandoman (06-19-22), DJariya (06-21-22), tanman (06-21-22)
Old 06-20-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I’m going to wait to comment on SNW until the season is done. However, thought you’d appreciate:

Old 06-21-22, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Solid episode. I like the idea of Captain Angel being a recurring adversary for the crew of the Enterprise, especially Spock.

And yes I remember the actress from Big Sky. She was really good on that show as well.

Chapel really sold that kiss with Spock for T'Pring.

It's so refreshing for a streaming series like this, especially science fiction, to have a nice and compact storyline into 45-50 minutes and not feel like everything has to have a long arc or mythology.

The reveal about Spock's half brother was interesting. Hopefully they handle it better than Star Trek V. .

and I have to say this as well. Ethan Peck has been solid as Spock. I'm actually liking him better than the movie version that Quinto plays.
tanman (06-21-22)
Old 06-21-22, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Very fun episode, Captain Angel was a lot of fun and should return, especially if they’re connected to that Vulcan that we think we know.

The bit with Una must have been rushed, but I think what happens is she gets beamed to the ship after the pirates take over. And very fun to see Pike and Una have that shared history to where they can make comments like that.

And I love that we get to explore the whole Chapel and Spock dynamic. They’re making the most of this being a prequel.
Old 06-21-22, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
and I have to say this as well. Ethan Peck has been solid as Spock. I'm actually liking him better than the movie version that Quinto plays.
I agree, I really like his portrayal of Spock.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And I love that we get to explore the whole Chapel and Spock dynamic. They’re making the most of this being a prequel.
Chapel has quickly become my favorite character on any of the current Trek shows. I did not expect that.
leeta (06-22-22)
Old 06-21-22, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

I agree 7/7 so far. Sure there have been a couple that haven't quite lived up to the others but it's been an amazing run so far. Agreed that it was obvious something was off about Angel but I don't think it detracted from the episode or the character at all.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Ortegas: “How close do you wanna get? First date? Third date?”

Pike: “How about blind date.”

Ortegas: “Going in with caution, got it.”

🤣🤣🤣
The dialogue between Ortegas and Pike continue to be a highlight of this season. I am looking forward to diving a little bit more into the character in the future but it's pretty amazing how well the writers and actress have endeared her to the audience with as little screen time as she's had.

Originally Posted by HN
Did they mess up scenes for Una?

-When they're about to go down to the colonists, Pike says "La'an, Una, with me". Which sounds like Una will go down with the away team.
-Then they cut to transporter room and Una is the one that transports them down. So fine, maybe Pike meant to go with them to the transporter room in the previous line (not likely).
-Pirates about to enter the bridge, and Una calls for battle stations and is part of the battle. Ok, so she really is on the ship still.
-Pike gets thrown back in the cell on the surface with the rest of the crew and Una is in the cell. And she's part of the mutiny plan. So she's on the surface??

I guess it's a bit confusing but Pike calls Una with him basically so they can have that little bit of dialogue of her warning him before he beams down.
She then goes back up to the bridge to assume command while Pike is gone. The pirates take over and they then take her over to their ship where they imprison her with Pike. I don't think they were ever on the surface were they? I thought they were taken on the ship?

I was also wondering how the pirates managed to take over a ship like the Enterprise with only thirty people, but when it was revealed that the whole kidnapping was just a ruse, then I guess those two hundred lifesigns they thought were the colonists were actually pirates.

Yeah they did seem to take over the Enterprise pretty easily but the whole episode was light in nature so I'll allow it.

And OMG Anson is just the perfect captain for this show. That little bit at the end had me literally lol

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Captain Angel has been my fave character thus far on SNW. A smart fun villian who is smokin' hot. ..and yes, i know the deal about the actor.

The twist at the end...that was nice because i just listened to a podcast reviewing the previous ep and they talked about that character. 👍🏿
They were really awesome in this episode. I'm glad that they will eventually return, hopefully several times. Which podcast do you listen to?

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Very fun episode, Captain Angel was a lot of fun and should return, especially if they’re connected to that Vulcan that we think we know.

The bit with Una must have been rushed, but I think what happens is she gets beamed to the ship after the pirates take over. And very fun to see Pike and Una have that shared history to where they can make comments like that.

It's pretty amazing how they're able to exist in the established universe of TOS and somehow make it familiar as well as brand new. Star Trek has never been this good at modern take of that era.

Special shout out to the redesigned jeffries tube. This was again a perfect reimagining of the the jeffries tubes in TOS. They were basically the same but just a bit modernized and didn't look like it was made out of cardboard.
Old 06-22-22, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

I know we still (only ) have three episodes left. But I'm going to go ahead and call it that this is the best first season of a Star Trek show ever. Of course that's not really setting the bar that high. Except for a couple of stand outs TNG's first season was pretty dreadful. DS9, VOY and ENT also took a bit to find it's footing but found it a lot faster then TNG. I'm not even going to talk about STD or Picard. Lower Decks was pretty good but personally it took me awhile to get used to the show. I think maybe TOS had the best first season previous to SNW. I give all the credit to the cast and the writers. Within just a few episodes in this crew already feels like functioning crew. Each of the characters already feels like they're already established characters. It took TNG until Riker grew his beard to really find and settle in to their characters and interactions.
Old 06-22-22, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

I really liked the episode, it did not feel like it was copying the storyline from somewhere else. I liked the twist of Angel being the captain and Spock pretty much handing her the ship I think the slightly over-the-top delivery of Angel really helped sell the role for the actress playing her, certainly won't complain if she is some sort of nemesis as others have said. This may be my favorite ep of the series so far.
Old 06-22-22, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I think for me why this show is hitting all the right spots for me is that I like every main character a LOT. So it makes the show easy to watch. There isnt a single one I even find remotely annoying.

Discovery -Burnham is one of my least favorite characters ever. Tilly is great. Engineer and doctor are meh. Saru is OK

Picard - Picard is annoying, Raffi is annoying, Allison Pill is annoying Seven is cool, Captain is cool

TNG Picard was dull except for the episode he lived another life, I hated DATA and still do, Crusher was OK Riker was fine, Geordi was dull,Troi was fine...Q ruled, Borg ruled though so good show overall

TOS Liked them all like SNW. Though I like Pike more than Kirk which shocks me because I love Kirk

I have said it before but this show reminds me so much of Las Vegas. They decided to make a show filled with likeable beautiful people and just let them have fun. TV has missed that.
Old 06-22-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I know we still (only ) have three episodes left. But I'm going to go ahead and call it that this is the best first season of a Star Trek show ever. [...] I think maybe TOS had the best first season previous to SNW. .
Not sure if I read it here or on Twitter, but somebody said the only bad thing about SNW is that TOS isn't good enough to be it's sequel. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but this 7 episode run has been amazingly good, especially after the unevenness of DISCO.