TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E03) - "Part III" - 6/1/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E03) - "Part III" - 6/1/22

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Hummm...if there's some Quinlan Vos I wonder if we get us some Ventress!
That character deserves a better close out then what happened in Clone Wars..
All better ideas than Reva. Christ ....Moses Ingram could've played Ventress.
Old 06-01-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Goosebumps during all the Vader scenes. Reminded me of the modern Marvel comics where he is an unstoppable beast.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The exchange with the stormtroopers on Seth Rogen's transport was pretty bad too.
That's who I thought it was too, but it was actually Zach Braff as the alien driver.
B.A. (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
And no mention of what happened to the Grand Inquisitor? Strange.
I thought I heard Reva tell the other Inquisitors or some Imperial officers that Obi-Wan killed him.
Old 06-01-22, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
That's who I thought it was too, but it was actually Zach Braff as the alien driver.
I was thinking Rogen too until I saw the end credits. Either way, it took me out of the show when I heard a recognizable voice.
Old 06-01-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Great episode! Killing the music to emphasize Vader’s breathing is key. Powerful stuff.

Anxious to see how Obi-Wan deals with his burns. That’s one of the worst pains (speaking from experience).
Old 06-01-22, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I was thinking Rogen too until I saw the end credits. Either way, it took me out of the show when I heard a recognizable voice.
Yes, goofy english speaking aliens is not a strong suit for SW... but they keep adding them in. And I'll just reiterate what a disappointment Deborah Chow has been here...the basic fundamentals of filmmaking have been so poor. I loved her Mandalorian episodes, and while I disagreed with this series going in... I expected something far more impressive from a filmmaking standpoint. Not once have I been unaware that this is taking place entirely on stages... it has been nothing but a slog through sterile, lifeless filmmaking.
Old 06-01-22, 09:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

I’m assuming Leia is getting kidnapped again so ruined the episode for me.
B.A. (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

It was great to see Vader, but overall I am underwhelmed with the show.

the inquisitors are beyond disappointing. Not happy they are wasting time on them.
Old 06-01-22, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Yes, goofy english speaking aliens is not a strong suit for SW... but they keep adding them in. And I'll just reiterate what a disappointment Deborah Chow has been here...the basic fundamentals of filmmaking have been so poor. I loved her Mandalorian episodes, and while I disagreed with this series going in... I expected something far more impressive from a filmmaking standpoint. Not once have I been unaware that this is taking place entirely on stages... it has been nothing but a slog through sterile, lifeless filmmaking.
Really shows you what shitty writing can do to 40+ year established lore and characters and yet some how... someone took the single idea of "Stolen Death Star Plans" and crafted an entire story around it, complete with some amazing characters and world building in Rogue One.
The following 3 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
B.A. (06-01-22), BrewCrew (06-02-22), milo bloom (06-06-22)
Old 06-01-22, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Really shows you what shitty writing can do to 40+ year established lore and characters and yet some how... someone took the single idea of "Stolen Death Star Plans" and crafted an entire story around it, complete with some amazing characters and world building in Rogue One.
We may be talking past each other here lol... I get fans appreciate Rogue One's tone, but that sorta goes out the window when your movie is borderline unwatchable, which I think R1 is. Surely there's a middle ground somewhere...that's right - the OT! The template is right there...it's not a secret, it's in plain sight! Why in the world would they not just follow that...
Old 06-02-22, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
We may be talking past each other here lol... I get fans appreciate Rogue One's tone, but that sorta goes out the window when your movie is borderline unwatchable, which I think R1 is. Surely there's a middle ground somewhere...that's right - the OT! The template is right there...it's not a secret, it's in plain sight! Why in the world would they not just follow that...
We must have watched different films because Rogue One is pretty much the only film worth watching from Disney/Star Wars.
The following 2 users liked this post by candyrocket786:
BrewCrew (06-02-22), Spiderbite (07-04-22)
Old 06-02-22, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I agree about the directing feeling flat and uninspired. Parts of the fight at the end played like a fan film to me. I also hate the blown out color grading. The sands of Tatooine were never that white... pump up the saturation.

I wonder if Obi-Wan mentioning a brother is setting up a reveal later. I remember that Lucas originally intended for Owen to be his brother. I hope they're not going back to that idea. Y'know, like Cliegg Lars and his first wife gave their oldest son to the Jedi, then he became a widower and moved to Tatooine with Owen to start a new life as a moisture farmer before marrying Shmi Skywalker. Meanwhile, Kenobi had been unknowingly training his own stepbrother -- meaning Luke would have a literal "Uncle Ben". The Star Wars galaxy shouldn't be that small, but it's such a dumb idea (like Anakin building Threepio) that I wouldn't put it past them.

I liked the scene between Obi-Wan and Leia where he describes what the Force feels like... a light in the dark. It could have come across as trite, but they played it well. If George wrote that scene, "microscopic lifeforms" would have probably been mentioned.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Another thing I liked is that they're also kind of hinting that Obi-Wan and Padme were lovers at some point. You can read between the lines of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and pick up on it, and when Leia asked Obi-Wan if he was her real father -- and the look on Obi-Wan's face -- they really drove it home.
Based on their interaction in the prequels, I didn't detect the slightest hint of romance between Obi-Wan and Padmé. Any allusions that can be read into the dialogue came off as paranoia on Anakin's part (Like when he asked if Obi-Wan had come to her apartment).

Maybe they were closer in the cartoon, but seeing Obi-Wan acting forlorn remembering Padmé (as if she were the love of his life) and telling Leia he wished he could say he was her father felt a little off. They included it to stir emotions in the fans, but it didn't seem appropriate to me. I mean, he didn't even appear that sad when she died right in front of him in Episode III. You can't even use the excuse that it was because he was a stoic Jedi trained to let go of human attachments, since he broke down over Qui-Gon and Anakin in the prequels.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-02-22 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
We must have watched different films because Rogue One is pretty much the only film worth watching from Disney/Star Wars.
I was bored to death (as were the characters). Andor would be so much better if this film didn't exist...but they just can't win.
Old 06-02-22, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 734 Likes on 536 Posts

I thought it was Rowlf from the Muppets.
Old 06-02-22, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

At a minimum, that was a highly entertaining episode with a host of problems. Getting a ruthless, relentless Vader was awesome. Him snapping the necks of children to draw out Obi Wan was exactly what I want from this show --- a more adult themed version of SW that we only got during Rogue One and bits of Mandalorian.
I really, really wish they'd do away with the "celebrity" guests. We don't need Zach Braff or Bobby Moynihan or anybody else who is recognizable to play a character that is goofy or oddly voiced and distracting from the role they're supposed to be playing.
Old 06-02-22, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,630 Posts

Saw this last night. I don't really have that much to say, but it was cool seeing Darth Vader again and also hearing JEJ's voice. Wasn't really surprised that we didn't get a tough hard fought battle between him and Obi-Wan. Ob-Wan is a tired and broken man and seeing his once protege in full pure evil form shocked him. That being said, we did get some cool moments with him, especially at that check point fighting off some of those storm troopers and then seeing that one sliced in half.

Since Favreau and Filoni aren't involved with this series, I do see some aspects of the writing and dialogue not being as sharp. I do think Deborah Chow has done pretty decent work as the director. She's made the show feel bigger than it actually is. I know critiquing directing styles, especially in Star Wars, is highly subjective and not everyone is going to agree on it.
Old 06-02-22, 11:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

With the huge amount of SW stuff Disney is pumping out via live action, animation, books, comics, as they fill in and flesh out the timeline of the Skywalker Saga, it's unfortunate but expected that continuity starts to break down here and there. There's some of that again in Kenobi. By now, so much of it going on all over the SW universe, the various media, that I guess fans start to get desensitized by it when it happens, start to roll with it, accept it. A big compromise I guess....Disney compromising with canon as they pour a thousand liters of story into new projects, and fans having to compromise on their usual belligerent adherence to canon. It's evolving.

As for the Kenobi series itself...I'm enjoying it, but there are aspects to it that are underwhelming, maybe a little disappointing. Others have already mentioned most of them....some of the action scenes looking a bit too "TV", the way Reva can't catch up to Kenobi and Leia on the Blade Runner planet, when only a few rooftops away, but can immediately "teleport" to the docking bay ahead of Leia, and all those kinds of things. But that's part of all shows and movies, plot holes or little annoyances, devices used to create story. Still it's annoying.

But more....Kenobi is trying to remain hidden and protect the identity of the children, but this series opens a little pandoras box. His identity on Tatooine has been exposed now a whole 10 years before ANH. Even Leia's cousin knows she isn't an Organa. Gossip even in SW can fly around the galaxy. Reva knows about Leia's origin, that Vader is Anakin, she knows more than most. It's all out. Reva powerful can read minds like Kylo. As if Vader wouldn't be able to see thru it all now, that Leia is his daughter, find out about Luke, etc. Owen Lars already read by Reva. She even quickly broke into Kenobi's mind and read how he didn't even know about Anakin being alive. She likes to talk to Vader and promote herself, giving up tons of info, updates, to curry favor with him. So the uber secrecy of the Skywalker twins, of Old Ben on Tatooine, etc all seems a bit broken now.

The writers have to be even more careful now with the remaining episodes. Read a piece written before the first episode aired about how the writers have to be careful not implanting Vader into the story too much or else it ruins the story of Obi-Wan, he's supposed to be the lead, exploring his arc. But if they relied on too much live-action of Vader in this series, having too much interaction with Kenobi, it would/could not only ruin the Kenobi character journey, push Vader more into the spotlight of this show, but also complicate/break continuity. They suggested a little bit of Vader here and there instead as dreams and nightmares in Kenobi, plaguing his memories, and that they shouldn't cross paths. Now, after three episodes, that rings true their concern. Maybe having Vader scratching around, menacing and killing others on other planets, or his own subjects who fail him, would've been better, rather than thrusting him so quickly, so soon into the series face to face with Kenobi.

It's easy to get over-excited about a new series, Kenobi, some Vader, and shout down our own or other people raising areas of concern or disappointment with aspects of the show.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 11:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Valid comments about how other characters are washing out the exploration of Obi-Wan's arc. Too much implanting of Leia and Vader into this timeline and interacting with Kenobi. Some poor "TV"-like sets and action sequences. How sloppy the writing is without Filoni and Favreau's involvement.

Last edited by xe.kilroy; 06-09-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 11:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

is it me or is young Leia (actress included) one of the most annoying characters in recent history?
The following 3 users liked this post by OldBoy:
bchbdaddy (06-10-22), miller_time22 (06-08-22), Spiderbite (07-04-22)
Old 06-02-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts

We still have to see Obi-Wan sense that there is still good in Anakin and try to turn him back.

We need this context for ROTJ's "Obi-Wan once thought as you do"
Old 06-02-22, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
We still have to see Obi-Wan sense that there is still good in Anakin and try to turn him back.

We need this context for ROTJ's "Obi-Wan once thought as you do"
They might have thrown that out just like the Grand Inquisitor.
Old 06-02-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is it me or is young Leia (actress included) one of the most annoying characters in recent history?

I kind of get that sentiment, but then I find all kids that age whom I don't really know annoying. And remember, she has basically been raised as a princess.

I'm enjoying the show so far. Not great, but entertaining. But I'm not an obsessed nerd-fan of this franchise.
Old 06-02-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm not really sure why, maybe it was the way it was filmed or the dull choreography, but I didn't find the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader to be very thrilling. Vader's Rogue One scenes were better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Osiris3657:
miller_time22 (06-08-22), Why So Blu? (06-02-22)
Old 06-02-22, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I thought I heard Reva tell the other Inquisitors or some Imperial officers that Obi-Wan killed him.
You’re right - I watched again and there’s a quick line about making him pay for what he did to the Inquisitor or something like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.