Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (S4E07) -- "Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,986 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (S4E07) -- "Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab"

I had the orderly pegged as 001 early on, and also had the Creel's kid was probably Vecna, but not that all three were one and the same. Nice swerve there.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-01-22)
Old 06-02-22, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

For the folks who hadn’t finished all 7 episodes yet, I think Variety spoiled who Vecna is in a tweet and headline on Monday.

Kinda ridiculous
Old 06-04-22, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Good on Jamie Campbell Bower. For someone who's done mostly crap being very meh, he was really great this season. I didn't even recognize him under all that good acting
Old 06-04-22, 05:04 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A carrot smeared with poop and vaseline?
hahahaha! so sick....
Old 06-04-22, 11:22 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Good on Jamie Campbell Bower. For someone who's done mostly crap being very meh, he was really great this season. I didn't even recognize him under all that good acting
He was good. I had never heard of him before and didn’t recall ever seeing him in anything.
Old 06-04-22, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The casting of Jamie Campbell Bower to play an older character and Robert Englund to play a younger character caused me a lot of confusion about El's timeline.
Old 06-04-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,089 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by postermen
The casting of Jamie Campbell Bower to play an older character and Robert Englund to play a younger character caused me a lot of confusion about El's timeline.
Not sure I follow. Jamie Campbell Bower was playing Henry Creel, the son of Robert Englund's character, Victor Creel.
Old 06-04-22, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Not sure I follow. Jamie Campbell Bower was playing Henry Creel, the son of Robert Englund's character, Victor Creel.
According to the Stranger Things wiki, there is a 28 year difference in age between Victor and Henry. In real life, the difference is 41 years (I would have guessed even more than that). El's time in the lab in the lab would have to happen over many years to make sense to me.
Old 06-04-22, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the Stranger Things wiki, there is a 28 year difference in age between Victor and Henry. In real life, the difference is 41 years (I would have guessed even more than that). El's time in the lab in the lab would have to happen over many years to make sense to me.
Ah, I see what you mean. But, yeah, you can't go by the actors' ages. That's true for many tv shows and movies.
Old 06-05-22, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts

Just finished and I enjoyed the half season overall, with my only big complaint being the excessive parallel plots (7).

Trim it down to 3 or 4 plots and you can easily shave 15-20 minutes off per episode.

I could have done without the Hawkins lab and Russia plot.
IBJoel (06-12-22)
Old 06-05-22, 11:36 PM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

001 is how Anakin should have been. Dude was awesome.
Old 06-06-22, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,710 Likes on 4,574 Posts

But remember that while Victor exists "now" (1986), Henry, as we see him, is from a previous time in Eleven's life (1979). So the difference isn't really 41 years, but rather just 34 years.
IBJoel (06-12-22)
Old 06-06-22, 12:13 AM

Jamie Campbell Bower. He was King Arthur in that Starz Camelot series, and was in the Twilight movies.

He briefly played young Grindelwald in the Harry Potter movies, and I think they really should have had him play Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts movies because, as we saw here, he can easily to from charming and affable to sinister at the drop of a hat.
I recognized him immediately from Sweeney Todd where he plays a large supporting role.

Old 06-06-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two Grindelwalds in the same photo...
IBJoel (06-12-22)
Old 06-06-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 396 Likes on 302 Posts

My part 2 theory:
Spoiler:
In order to save Nancy (if the music option isn't available for Steve, at that exact moment in Eddie's trailer), he should carry Nancy into the real world. Steve should not worry if she dies or not in the real world. Steve stays behind in the Upside Down, hunts Vecna, and kills Vecna. Since Vecna and the Upside Down are in the past, the real world timeline should reset once Vecna dies. All of Vecna's victims (including the possibility of Nancy dying) will be erased from the old Vecna timeline and reboot into another timeline. Basically, everyone is alive in the alternate timeline, since Vecna would cease to exist in the past (thus, can't kill anyone in the future).

And Steve will need to do this with Eleven's help. Once he kills Vecna in the Upside Down, the gates will close. He needs Eleven with him to open a gate to get back home (and close it too).

But I'm not an expert on Stranger Things mythology, so I can't remember if something from the previous seasons can void my theory. Or if I'm not understanding the Upside Down / past timeline correctly.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 06-07-22 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

I sort of put together the orderly was 001 early in this episode. He seemed awfully helpful and knew he would gain something by helping Eleven. Him being the son of Creel was a bit of a swerve. I don't like how they explained his back story, basically just giving him powers and not explaining anything about how or why that happened. That seemed dumb.

​​​​​Outside of that, pretty badass. Lots of good stuff. Amazing how they can make Steve completely awful in S1, yet now he is one of the best parts of the show.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 06-13-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-14-22, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I sort of put together the orderly was 001 early in this episode. He seemed awfully helpful and knew he would gain something by helping Eleven. Him being the son of Creel was a bit of a swerve. I don't like how they explained his back story, basically just giving him powers and not explaining anything about how or why that happened. That seemed dumb.

​​​​​Outside of that, pretty badass. Lots of good stuff. Amazing how they can make Steve completely awful in S1, yet now he is one of the best parts of the show.
I really enjoyed this whole season, but it cracked me up that "Papa" had lied to the kids and told them there wasn't a 001. "Nah, kids, we started counting at 2 for some reason."
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 06-14-22, 08:55 AM

"You know, like TV channels."
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
John Pannozzi (06-21-22), jwb0323 (06-19-22)
Old 06-20-22, 12:50 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I had the orderly pegged as 001 early on, and also had the Creel's kid was probably Vecna, but not that all three were one and the same. Nice swerve there.
Same. I did not connect the two things at all, but all the hints were there.
Old 06-20-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, I think if they had gone with him being Patient Zero, it would've been a better twist and not so easy to predict.
Old 06-20-22, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this:

There has long been speculation among the ST fandom that Will may be gay. The show has dropped some hints in that direction--even going back to season 1 with some of Lonnie's comments about Will (according to Joyce). This season, there is the scene with the girl trying to flirt with him in class and he does not reciprocate. And Will's school project/poster appeared to be about Alan Turing, the famous mathematician who was prosecuted for being gay. Nothing definitive, and it could just be that Will is an introvert and socially awkward

This season, some fans have taken this idea further and they think Will has a crush on Mike. He acts a little jealous that Mike hasn't written/called him like he does with Eleven. And there is Will's mysterious painting that he brought to the airport when they went to pick up Mike (but then appeared to get nervous and didn't show him the painting), and he also grabbed it just before they fled the Byers' house in the shootout. I'm not sure what fans think the painting will be revealed to depict--Will and Mike riding a horse together, shirtless?

Personally, I dunno. Will being gay seems very plausible to me, perhaps even likely. But him being in love with Mike seems like a stretch, storywise. It would introduce a pretty tricky emotional conflict that would seem to be at odds with the general tone of the show. We did have the storyline last season with Robin and Steve, and that was handled well, I thought. But Robin was a new character and it was easy to transition from "Steve likes Robin" to "she's gay and they're just going to be friends." Will crushing on Mike would completely change the dynamics of the main group of kids and would seemingly require much more time to explore and develop to do justice to a subplot like that. Unless... one of them doesn't survive the season, which I think is a real possibility.

The painting, at least, has to come into play in S4 Part 2, so maybe that will provide some answers.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 06-20-22, 02:32 PM

My opinion? : Will is so, so gay. And in love with Mike.

My big concern? : His unrequited feelings will erupt in a violent tragic event in Hawkins.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 06-20-22, 04:09 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe Will has a thing for Eleven
Old 06-20-22, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it seems like Will does have a thing for Mike. Goes as far back as season three when he was shown to be sort of jealous about Mike and Eleven being a couple.

That could make for a really uncomfortable storyline, because the 80s were a really homophobic decade. In that late 80s time period, a kid -- particularly from the rural midwest -- admitting that he's secretly in love with his best friend would be an explosive situation and probably get Will completely ostracized from the rest of the group.

It's easy for us to look at the situation now and not think it's a huge deal, but thirty-five years ago... that shit would get really ugly. These four kids are already outsiders, and if Will came out to Mike, it would freak him the fuck out and probably send him off into a homophobic panic.
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.