DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655331-star-trek-picard-s2e10-season-finale-farewell-5-5-22-a.html)

DJariya 05-04-22 05:06 PM

Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e53419114a.jpg

FAREWELL — In the season two finale, with just hours until the Europa Launch, Picard and the crew find themselves in a race against time to save the future.

Written by Christopher Monfette & Akiva Goldsman. Directed by Michael Weaver.

:lol: It's finally over, for all of those who hate this show.

Season 3, which will probably air in 2023, is the final season and has already been filmed. The Next Generation cast is returning.

dhmac 05-04-22 05:15 PM

Re: Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

The only reason I'm not tapping out and skipping Season 3 entirely is TNG cast returning. But I'll still wait to see if the reviews are positive before committing to the whole season.

DJariya 05-04-22 05:43 PM

Eric F 05-04-22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14099113)

Nobody believes you or Will Wheaton.

Eric F 05-05-22 04:03 AM

I couldn’t sleep so I took a bullet for everyone here being the first one to watch it. I have to say that this episode was some of the dumbest, poorest written TV I’ve ever seen. Not only did most of it not make sense, it seemed like a whole bunch of disjointed nonsense that they just pulled out of their collective asses whenever they need it.

All I was doing was shouting, “Da Fuck?!?!” through the whole episode. I don’t know what I just watched but it certainly wasn’t Trek. This whole show was just a big middle finger to the fans. Well, once again, Fuck you Alex Kurtzman and Patrick Stewart. FUCK YOU!!!

The episode is out so I’m just going to spoil everything. It was so disjointed and there was so much going on I don’t even remember all of it. Let’s start from the end and work backwards:

Picard loves everybody!

Rios’ picture has been sitting in the bar all this time but Picard just never noticed.

The Borg are now a Federation member. :lol:

Q brings back Elenor, because, of course he does.

Juratti was taking over the fleet to protect them from a “galactic event” which just came out of the blue, conveniently, just that second.

Rios stays behind and becomes his great, great, great, great grandfather.

Picard gives Q a hug. (best part of the show :lol:)

Q loves Picard.

Wesley can’t get a date with a modern chick so he travels back 400years to pick up high school girls.

They can’t hack into an ancient computer system with their magic tricorders? I thought they’ve been doing that the whole series?

Gary Seven lady dies, but she tells Picard his pain has saved the universe.

There’s so many more gems like this in the episode, hopefully after I get some sleep I’ll forget them all.

bluesix 05-05-22 12:29 PM

I can't argue with you. That was disappointing.

There were a million ways they could have gone bringing back Q. Of course it had to also tie in the Borg since the first time the Borg were encountered was when Q the Enterprise into their path. But we have already seen at least 5 different variations in different episodes of other Trek shows of the Borg using time travel to colonize Earth. And every one of them was told better than the way this season was.

Demystifying and de-fanging the Borg should never be done but after using them so many times they are now about as scary to us as a Ferengi.
And what was the point of even bringing back Guinan? Another wasted opportunity. It would have been amazing to learn more about her species or see her a real counterpoint to Q. We used to speculate that her species had Jedi-like powers...

Personally I blame Akiva Goldsman. I don't know why he was brought in but he has added nothing. Was there no show runner available who is an actual Star Trek fan?

Of course ill still watch Season 3! There is so much potential still there with old TNG cast coming back and we still have 7 of 9 and using Q's deus ex machine we got Elnor back

Mike86 05-05-22 12:42 PM

Is the potential there though? The show is built on false nostalgia. Why should I believe that because the TNG cast is reuniting that it will be any better than the garbage the show has been thus far?

Eric F 05-05-22 12:43 PM

Was why Q was dying even addressed?

dhmac 05-05-22 01:47 PM

I think the finale was very predictable. I figured Rios was either going to stay in the past with doctor lady and son or take them with him to the future (so, it was option A - check). I thought Tallinn / Not-Laris might sacrifice herself to save Renee (check), Q was going to snap them back to the future (check), Queen Jurati was the Borg Queen in the first episode and now leads the "good" Borg (check). And I've been thinking for a few episodes that Seven and Raffi needed to kiss already (check). The only surprises were annoying man-child showing up as the traveler to take Kore / Not-Soji away and Dr. Adam Soong pulling out the Khan file.

movieguru 05-05-22 01:54 PM

Parts that weren't clear at the end of this....

How could Rios stay behind without affecting the timeline?

Now that Jurati has been a Borg Queen for 400 years, does that mean that the other version of the Borg never existed? Therefore, there would be no Locuts, 7 of 9, Wolf 359, etc.

Does Maris stay with Picard or does she still leave?

I'm guessing Wesley and Soong's daughter factor into season 3, unless they're planning a separate series for them. It would seem fitting that Wesley will be in season 3 considering that this new season will have the entire crew munus Data back together again. I wouldn't be surprised if Denise Crosby makes and some type of appearance in season 3, perhaps as Sela. Who else from TNG's run could make a surprise appearance next season? Perhaps Michell Forbes' character. Maybe Sisko or Janeway.

Bandoman 05-05-22 02:24 PM

:lol: at the hate watching, I get it. It was far from the greatness of TNG. But I loved it.

And I did not expect the Wesley cameo, but I thought it worked.

I know I'm not the most discriminating viewer, and I may be way too easy on the writers, but I didn't mind this at all. It's not something I will rewatch over and over like TOS, TNG, DS( (and hopefully SNW), but it's still Trek to me.

Deftones 05-05-22 02:40 PM

It was OK. Best part of it was Picard and Q's goodbye to each other. Otherwise, pretty average.

Xiroteus 05-05-22 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 14099513)
Parts that weren't clear at the end of this....

Now that Jurati has been a Borg Queen for 400 years, does that mean that the other version of the Borg never existed? Therefore, there would be no Locuts, 7 of 9, Wolf 359, etc.

Does Maris stay with Picard or does she still leave?

I'm guessing Wesley and Soong's daughter factor into season 3, unless they're planning a separate series for them. It would seem fitting that Wesley will be in season 3 considering that this new season will have the entire crew munus Data back together again. I wouldn't be surprised if Denise Crosby makes and some type of appearance in season 3, perhaps as Sela. Who else from TNG's run could make a surprise appearance next season? Perhaps Michell Forbes' character. Maybe Sisko or Janeway.

It feels like they would have to be two factions of Borg for this to work.

windom 05-05-22 04:30 PM

Project KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! LOL

hdtv00 05-05-22 05:06 PM

Jesus what a shit show. Glad it's over least we'll get to see the cast one last time.

dhmac 05-05-22 06:37 PM

UK Dangerman Reviews this finale (his plot recap is hilarious):

Spoiler:

Xiroteus 05-05-22 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14099603)
Project KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! LOL

Not even K.H.A.N.

Maybe a nit too direct.

dhmac 05-05-22 08:34 PM

It occurred to me that someone watching episodes 1-3. skipping episodes 4-9, then watch the pre-episode recap and episode 10 would probably enjoy this season more than someone who watched every episode of the season. That's how much pointless filler there was this season on this show (like the ICE stuff, the FBI guy, the big gala, Picard's short "coma", etc. - all just filler that lead nowhere).

Eric F 05-05-22 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 14099722)
It occurred to me that someone watching episodes 1-3. skipping episodes 4-9, then watch the pre-episode recap and episode 10 would probably enjoy this season more than someone who watched every episode of the season. That's how much pointless filler there was this season on this show (like the ICE stuff, the FBI guy, the big gala, Picard's short "coma", etc. - all just filler that lead nowhere).

This whole season could have easily been a 2 parter, 3 at most.

Cellar Door 05-05-22 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 14099513)

Maybe--even in the 'original' timeline--he had always traveled to 2024 and lived out the rest of his life in the past. His subsequent life and actions were already 'baked in' to the timeline, so to speak. Isn't that what Guinan implied by the photo?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...c09710bc38.gif

hdtv00 05-05-22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 14099722)
That's how much pointless filler there was this season on this show (like the ICE stuff, the FBI guy, the big gala, Picard's short "coma", etc. - all just filler that lead nowhere).

Yep and that's why Discovery sucks too a BIG part of it. The writers can't write add in they have to stretch a story out entire season. Doomed both Picard and Discovery. You can feel how fresh the new show is compared to both of those. It's easier to pretend you can write when you can keep it short and sweet.

milo bloom 05-05-22 09:49 PM

What’s happened to you all? What’s happened to your sense of wonder and adventure?

We just binged the last three episodes tonight and this was an amazing ride. This is the type of storytelling that can only come of having literal decades of stories to call upon and it made it so much better to have that history. Picard, finally starting to heal after decades of living with that trauma, Seven finally finding focus in her life and more scene stealing bat-shittery from Agnes Jurati.

And then, Wesley. After following Wil for so long on social media for so long and seeing his utter love for the franchise, to see him get a wonderful and proper send off was so beautiful.

I truly feel sorry for those of you that couldn’t enjoy this. I had so much fun with this season.

philo 05-05-22 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14099780)
What’s happened to you all? What’s happened to your sense of wonder and adventure?

For the past 10 weeks I wondered what the hell happened to Star Trek.

Bronkster 05-05-22 11:08 PM

It wasn't epic, or even great - but it was Treky enough to be fun.

bunkaroo 05-06-22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14099780)

We just binged the last three episodes tonight and this was an amazing ride. This is the type of storytelling that can only come of having literal decades of stories to call upon and it made it so much better to have that history. Picard, finally starting to heal after decades of living with that trauma, Seven finally finding focus in her life and more scene stealing bat-shittery from Agnes Jurati.

And then, Wesley. After following Wil for so long on social media for so long and seeing his utter love for the franchise, to see him get a wonderful and proper send off was so beautiful.

I truly feel sorry for those of you that couldn’t enjoy this. I had so much fun with this season.

This is an amazing parody post.