DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/655331-star-trek-picard-s2e10-season-finale-farewell-5-5-22-a.html)

Jason 05-07-22 10:25 AM

Re: Star Trek: Picard (S2E10) -- Season Finale -- "Farewell" -- 5/5/22

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 14100406)
“Dammit, Wesley.” :lol:

That should be the name of the spinoff they obviously want to make. I think it would work as a straight up comedy where Wesley continually messes up history.

The story would have been better if Wesley were watching Renee and took one for the team in the end. Guinan could have approached Soong's daughter about being all that she can be.

Goldberg74 05-07-22 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 14100453)
That should be the name of the spinoff they obviously want to make. I think it would work as a straight up comedy where Wesley continually messes up history.

The story would have been better if Wesley were watching Renee and took one for the team in the end. Guinan could have approached Soong's daughter about being all that she can be.

Here's an article all y'all might like:

HOW WIL WHEATON BECAME STAR TREK’S OWN “TIME LORD”
The Star Trek icon and friend to geeks everywhere reflects on his time-traveling role.
By Ryan Britt
https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...eo-time-travel

DJariya 05-07-22 04:41 PM

The season wasn't great overall. I think I enjoyed season 1 more, but I liked how they wrapped things up. I never looked at Q and Picard as having an adversary-type relationship. It was always about lessons being learned and how to make the most of things. At least we got some closure to their relationship.

I was surprised to see Wesley again. That was unexpected and nice. I know some of you here hate Wheaton and think he's just a Star Trek shill :lol: But, I think he's a fan and is just passionate about the franchise. Since Gates is in the final season, I wonder if she will have the opportunity to see her son again.

It was nice to see Whoopi Guinan again and fill Picard in on Rios life and how he lived it. Go figure instead of dying peacefully as an old man, he chooses to go out in a blaze of glory.

bluesix 05-08-22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 14100054)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...et-1235140271/

This article confirms pretty much what we already knew- the reason why Picard is so terrible can be laid solely at the feet of Patrick Stewart. Picard is his vanity project where he admits to working out his own mental health issues, where essentially he’s just playing himself now.

This confirms that season 3 will be shit as well.

I don't blame Patrick Stewart at all for the weaknesses of the storyline and I think you give him too much credit for calling this 'his vanity project'!
Of course he is certainly giving input since he is a producer but I doubt he was in the writers room or making script changes or changing the storyline the show runners wanted to use.

Let's remember Michael Chabon (a genius and actual Star Trek fan) was the one who came up with the whole idea of a show based around Picard in his twilight years. While most people on here trashed Season 1 as being 'not Trek enough' or having too many plotholes or whatever...for me Season 1 is on a whole other level compared to what we are getting from Kurtzman/Goldsman. They just dont know how to tell a story as well and don't have the intellect and imagination of Chabon.

Unfortunately nothing from Season 1 even seems to have carried over other than the new characters that were created. It appears that larger story arc for Season 2/3 is really just about Picard saying goodbye to everyone as he ponders nearing the end of his life, which makes no sense anymore since he could now live as a 'synth' for hundreds of years like Data.
It's still fun to tag along with Picard on his Farewell tour and get a chance to see what other favorite TNG characters are up to.

Sloppy Trek is still better than no Trek at all.

Mike86 05-08-22 03:51 PM

I actually would take no Star Trek over tainting the legacy of characters I love.

Philly30 05-08-22 04:06 PM

So Patrick Stewart has assured everyone next season will suck, the TNG cast will not be together but seen at different times, such a missed opportunity

https://trekmovie.com/2022/05/07/pat...n-memory-lane/

Mike86 05-08-22 04:08 PM

Honestly that doesn’t surprise me? Why give people what they want? Instead it’ll be Picard making pit stops throughout the season to reminisce with old friends.

Philly30 05-08-22 04:20 PM

More of Riker making Pizza is probably the best they can do

Mike86 05-08-22 04:22 PM

The reunions we’ve seen so far just come across as the cast mates getting together. I mean that’s fine, but they hardly seem in character. They’re more like feel good moments to get old friends back together than actually reuniting the characters for an adventure.

Bandoman 05-09-22 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14100895)
I actually would take no Star Trek over tainting the legacy of characters I love.

The good news is no one is forcing you to watch!

To quote Leonard Nimoy: “Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae,” Nimoy told Reuters. “Open your mind! Be a ‘Star Trek’ fan and open your mind and say, ‘Where does Star Trek want to take me now’.” (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...5443BU20090505 )

printerati 05-09-22 10:58 AM

This story is referenced within the TrekMovie.com story linked above, but the following cast members will not be returning for Season 3:

Alison Pill (Jurati)
Isa Briones (Kore/Soji)
Evan Evagora (Elnor)
Wil Wheaton (Wesley)

It also (obviously) "seems fairly certain" that Santiago Cabrera (Rios) will not be back, and "is also a good bet" that Orla Brady (Laris) plays a minimal role.

With all the talk of reunions, Wesley was the only surprise on the list for me.

Mike86 05-09-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 14101181)
The good news is no one is forcing you to watch!

To quote Leonard Nimoy: “Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae,” Nimoy told Reuters. “Open your mind! Be a ‘Star Trek’ fan and open your mind and say, ‘Where does Star Trek want to take me now’.” (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...5443BU20090505 )

I realize I’m not being forced to watch, but as a fan of the character and show he’s originally from to see him done such a disservice is extremely disappointing.

Also that quote doesn’t exactly fit this situation. That’s referring to the Kelvin timeline and accepting new canon/versions of existing characters. Star Trek: Picard pretends to be a sequel to Star Trek: The Next Generation, which it fails to be.

jpcamb 05-10-22 09:21 AM

I thought the finale redeemed the season a little bit. The dialog with Q and Picard at the end was nearly as good as TNG storylines. I far from loved the season but if nothing else the last episode played as a series finale nearly as well as a season finale so the haters don't need to keep watching.

I can do without seeing Data again in any form at this point as I felt he was a weak foil to Picard as Brent does not seem to have much gravitas to pull off the big baddie role he played here. It might be interesting to see how the Borg evolved in this new timeline but I don't get the impression they were seen as good guys as the people on the Federation ships were still in defensive positions against them and ready to destroy whatever ship Picard was on. I do need to call BS on the fleet giving control over to the Borg on a simple order from Picard/ Seven with no authorization code in the blink of an eye, hardly the biggest offense in the series but a somewhat glaring plot hole I have not seen mentioned up thread.

windom 05-10-22 10:22 AM

Why did they make Jurati look like a Cabbage Patch Kid when she went full Borg queen?

bunkaroo 05-10-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14101603)
Why did they make Jurati look like a Cabbage Patch Kid when she went full Borg queen?

I think you just put your finger on why I’ve never liked Allison Pill - I hated those damn dolls as a kid!

Mike86 05-10-22 11:03 AM

It seems weird to dump all the new cast for the third season. That basically makes it seem like they never mattered. I’m not attached to any of them anyways but a bit of an odd choice it seems like.

dhmac 05-15-22 07:42 PM

RedLetterMedia's Picard Season 2 episode 10 finale review

Spoiler:

Eric F 05-15-22 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 14104302)
RedLetterMedia's Picard Season 2 episode 10 finale review

Spoiler:

Holy shit this is hilarious.

It all makes sense now. The whole motivation for Q in TNG:

Spoiler:
He’s gay.

rotfl

Xander 05-17-22 10:22 AM

Wow, you guys are real assholes about this show :lol:

I thought it was a fun ride, and while it did have a fair amount of filler, did something I thought was kind of cool with the borg. Instead of making some convoluted plot where they are the bad guys again, it turned them into allies against an even bigger threat. Thought that was actually the best thing to be done with them in a while. And merging Agnes with the Queen 400 years in the past actually made it somewhat plausible.

Do I think it's the best Trek of all time? No. Do I think there was a fair amount of fat that could have been trimmed? Definitely. Did I have fun and will tune in next season? Hell yes.

milo bloom 05-17-22 02:05 PM

You really can't undersell Allison Pill's performance as Agnes Jurati this season. She was chewing the scenery with a gusto not see since the days of Shatner and I was loving every moment of it. For a character like the Borg queen that's such an over the top concept, you have to have people to play off her that can keep up with that kind of crazy.

Pill did it well here, and Spiner did it in First Contact. Mulgrew was let down by an unnecessary story in her turn, so it doesn't feel as memorable.

dhmac 05-17-22 03:57 PM

BTW, how long do Borg drones & queens live? I figure being Borg-a-fied would extend someone's life somewhat, due to nanobots and whatnot, but more than 400 years + never visibly aging at all? Huh?!

Having Borg Queen Jurati still alive in the 25th century was maybe this show's biggest stretch of believability (despite being a show already full of them).

milo bloom 05-17-22 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 14105257)
BTW, how long do Borg drones & queens live? I figure being Borg-a-fied would extend someone's life somewhat, due to nanobots and whatnot, but more than 400 years + never visibly aging at all? Huh?!

Having Borg Queen Jurati still alive in the 25th century was maybe this show's biggest stretch of believability (despite being a show already full of them).

I feel like a Voyager episode may have touched on it but nothing comes to mind immediately. The nanotech is the best answer for now.

Bandoman 05-20-22 07:42 AM

OK now I want to see this. :lol:

dhmac 05-20-22 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 14106448)

Odd. I had to reply to even see your link.

Why So Blu? 12-18-22 12:45 PM

I enjoyed this season but hated that they CGI'd (and awful cgi) Jurati's Borg Queen head. I'll assume that Pill refused to wear prosthetics like the actress that played the first Borg Queen for whatever reason. There's a make-up featurette and there were a lot of prosthetics involved.