Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (S2E06) -- "Two of One" -- 4/7/22

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Star Trek: Picard (S2E06) -- "Two of One" -- 4/7/22

TWO OF ONE — With the help of Tallinn, Picard and the crew infiltrate a gala on the eve of a joint space mission, to protect one of the astronauts they believe to be integral to the restoration of the timeline – Renee Picard. Kore makes a startling discovery about her father’s work.

Written by Cindy Appel & Jane Maggs. Directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Old 04-07-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (S2E06) -- "Two of One" -- 4/7/22

It finally occurred to me watching this that the actress playing Soong's daughter is also Dahj from season 1! I knew she looked familiar!

Another good episode. Liking the whole season so far.
Old 04-07-22, 09:03 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I’m glad somebody liked it, I hated it. I really liked the first couple of episodes this season but it’s been going steadily downhill. This episode was downright ridiculous, from Juradi singing out of the blue with the band accompanying her, to Picard being taken to a medical clinic- he’s a fucking golem/android, what good is that going to do? So much of the show makes no sense at all, let alone not really being Trek. Picard talking about his emotions with anyone? Did he ever do that on TNG?

So many things in the show just seems nonsensical, and not really following what came before. They’ve lost me. Unless they finish strong I don’t see myself watching season 3, regardless of who’s in it.
Old 04-08-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

A big step down from last week. Cringe worthy and dull. I just don't care about this Picard ancestor and her issues. The Gary Seven episode had more tension than this. So I guess he's still Robo-Picard then? Now they're going to drag in some Dreamscape rescue Picard from his coma excursion? Ugh.
Old 04-08-22, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This show kinda sucks though Stewart decided to actually act in the conversation scene. And I am sure most will disagree but I hate Spiner. He brings down everything he is in. The show is just so lazy. They could boldly go where no Trek series has gone before but they choose to just retread everything. The best part of the season might be Lea Thompson's cameo.
Old 04-08-22, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

RedLetterMedia has some excellent videos on what’s wrong with this season. It’s really turned into a mess. Not surprising given all the things they threw in the blender.
Old 04-08-22, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
A big step down from last week. Cringe worthy and dull. I just don't care about this Picard ancestor and her issues. The Gary Seven episode had more tension than this. So I guess he's still Robo-Picard then? Now they're going to drag in some Dreamscape rescue Picard from his coma excursion? Ugh.
I was like, oh no, can we NOT do another mindscape "someone stuck in their own mind nonsense" episode that every single show is obsessed with doing so they can be all "artsy and weird"
Old 04-08-22, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Juradi singing out of the blue with the band accompanying her
Truly a low point for this series, which is saying something.

I hope Rios didn't get "infected" with anything as a result of Juradi's post-assimilation kiss.
Old 04-08-22, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I was like, oh no, can we NOT do another mindscape "someone stuck in their own mind nonsense" episode that every single show is obsessed with doing so they can be all "artsy and weird"
Picard doesn’t have a human brain (does he have a brain at all?), so how are they going to do a “mind-meld”? They’ve totally glossed over the fact Picard is no longer human. How could they do that? What is wrong with the writers? How can they not explore the main plot point of last season at all?

Why does Q need Soong to do anything? He’s practically a god, all he needs to do is snap his fingers and it’s done. But conveniently he’s lost his powers and yet is still able to talk astronaut Picard into doing shit she doesn’t want to do? Still able to make a magic formula, etc, etc?

I’m sorry, this show is terrible. The writing is terrible, the acting is mostly terrible, almost everything is terrible. It’s just not Trek. What a sad way for Patrick Stewart to take his last bow in the Trek universe. I’m going to make believe it doesn’t exist.
If Picard and Discovery are the best they can do it doesn’t look good for Strange New Worlds.

The best new Trek shows are animated, and that’s pretty telling.

Can we bring Gene Roddenberry back? Please?

Last edited by Eric F; 04-08-22 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-08-22, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Picard doesn’t have a human brain (does he have a brain at all?), so how are they going to do a “mind-meld”? They’ve totally glossed over the fact Picard is no longer human. How could they do that? What is wrong with the writers? How can they not explore the main plot point of last season at all?
It was really fucking stupid for them to transfer Picard's mind into an android body.

I just can't believe professional writers do shit like that. It's such a radical change to both the character and the show's mythology that they either have to ignore it going forward, or integrate it into future projects.
Old 04-08-22, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It was really fucking stupid for them to transfer Picard's mind into an android body.

I just can't believe professional writers do shit like that. It's such a radical change to both the character and the show's mythology that they either have to ignore it going forward, or integrate it into future projects.
That's something you do if you want to change to a younger actor. Yes, give him enhanced abilities etc... (Picard should stay the same actor) So having him switch and it having less the zero point makes little sense.
Old 04-08-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I was trying to figure out who was playing Picard's mom in the flashbacks. I recognized her, but couldn't place her. Finally looked her up. She played Pete's crazy gf in the last season of Crashing.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-08-22 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
That's something you do if you want to change to a younger actor. Yes, give him enhanced abilities etc... (Picard should stay the same actor) So having him switch and it having less the zero point makes little sense.
They spent a whole season focusing on what it means to be human (something TNG already did, and much better), change their main character to an android and then totally ignore it.

You would think Q at least would say something about it, the way he did about Data, constantly.

If they don’t explore how/why Tallinn, a human from the 21st century kidnapped by aliens as a child can look exactly like a Romulan from the 24th I’m going to kick someone in the nuts.

Picard’s writers suck.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-08-22 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-09-22, 08:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

is it not odd to announce all the TNG coming back for Picard S3 now, unless they knew S2 sucked and they wanted to keep the audience somewhat intrigued?
Old 04-09-22, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM
is it not odd to announce all the TNG coming back for Picard S3 now, unless they knew S2 sucked and they wanted to keep the audience somewhat intrigued?

They shot both S2 and S3 at the same time so expect no better for the final season.

That and Paramount+ needs all the original content it can get and really Star Trek is basically what they have right now.

I honestly think the writers just had a plot outline and wrote each episode on their own, at home, without communicating with each other. There really seems to be little, if anything connecting a lot of the episode. Thematically the show is all over the place.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-09-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
It finally occurred to me watching this that the actress playing Soong's daughter is also Dahj from season 1! I knew she looked familiar!

Another good episode. Liking the whole season so far.
I thought that last ep, but only thing somebody posted out is she’s related to the actor who played 7’s husband.

I agree this episode wasn’t great. I didn’t have a problem with Giradi singing pet se, but it didn’t fit the plot. Also, not keen on how this Queen plot is going.

I did really enjoy the scene between Picard and his ancestor though.
Old 04-09-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Maybe I don’t want to catch myself up on this show. I think I watched the first three episodes of season two and even by then I was already losing interest despite not hating it as badly as season one. It sounds like season two is getting to be just as bad.

Such a disappointment. I wanted so badly to love this show and to have some final adventures with Picard. Instead we’re getting something that shits on the legacy of TNG and Picard. New Star Trek is such a sad state of affairs.
Old 04-09-22, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

That review nicely covers my feelings on the show so far. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking the writers have zero familiarity with Guinan's prior history with Picard or the character herself. The show is indeed a scatter brained mess.
Old 04-09-22, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by philo
That review nicely covers my feelings on the show so far. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking the writers have zero familiarity with Guinan's prior history with Picard or the character herself. The show is indeed a scatter brained mess.
The die-hard Trek fans are defending the show (and Discovery) on Reddit. I'm probably as much a die-hard fan as most of them (I grew up with it) but at least I know a poorly written show when I see it. Red Letter Media's criticisms of the show are mostly on point- the show is all over the place, and when criticized afterwards they'll make up some bullshit excuse to cover their continuity gaffs. Ten Forward was not named after a bar that Guinan ran on Earth, anyone who watched even a little of TNG should know that. From watching Picard I'm not even sure the writers knew that Guinan was on the Enterprise D with Picard at all.
Old 04-10-22, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in for Giradi in that dress that's all I know.
The following 2 users liked this post by hdtv00:
Bandoman (04-11-22), Deftones (04-10-22)
Old 04-10-22, 03:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I realize Star Trek has always attempted to tackle social issues, and that is part of its charm and allure but holy fucking fuck. When in the past it was done with nuance and intelligence now it's accomplished with a fucking sledgehammer and air horn.

New Star Trek fucking sucks.

My enthusiasm for Strange New Worlds dwindles by the second.
Old 04-10-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking the exact same thing about Strange New Worlds. In my head I want it to be good, but I’m preparing for more hot garbage being shat out by Alex Kurtzman.
Old 04-10-22, 06:27 PM
Banned

I mean even for the people complaining about the new Trek’s “wokeness”, I don’t care about that. Trek has always been about politics and social issues, it was just written well. All these new shows just fucking suck. Lower Decks is decent because the the writers know their shit and don’t take themselves seriously. Prodigy is a kids show so it doesn’t try to beat you over the head with social issues the same way the live action shows do, and it actually gets it’s point across better than them.

I’m not expecting much from SNW either.
Old 04-10-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t have a problem with “wokeness” in Star Trek either. If you think Star Trek hasn’t pushed that kind of messaging since it’s inception you missed a lot of the point.

Just as mentioned it was better written in the past, and the writers didn’t knock you over the head with messaging. It was more cleverly woven into the plots of episodes.
Old 04-12-22, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was thinking the exact same thing about Strange New Worlds. In my head I want it to be good, but I’m preparing for more hot garbage being shat out by Alex Kurtzman.
I’m SO worried that this show will tarnish the fantastic run that Mount had as Pike. The only time that Disco was must-watch tv was when Pike was on there.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (07-18-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.