Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 02/26/22 (S47E13) — H: John Mulaney - MG: LCD Soundsystem

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-22, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: SNL 02/26/22 (S47E13) — H: John Mulaney - MG: LCD Soundsystem

The only good thing was the Old Timer's Club. Too bad the director couldn't get the right shot when Conan entered the scene.

Still haven't seen this host say anything funny after watching him host 5 times.
Old 02-27-22, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The only good thing was the Old Timer's Club. Too bad the director couldn't get the right shot when Conan entered the scene.

Still haven't seen this host say anything funny after watching him host 5 times.
Agree. Aside from that sketch, the show overall was terrible. "Monkey Trial"? Seriously!? I do like Mulaney's stand up specials and enjoyed his Netflix show. But thought all of his SNL" monologues were entertaining at best and not all that funny.
Old 02-27-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Maybe it is not spoken but implied that Alec Baldwin should not appear in a 5 timers sketch or on SNL period.
I'm certain that Alec Baldwin has enough awareness of his current life situation that he is not going to show up anywhere doing comedy bits, especially playing himself.

And I'm certain that SNL is also aware enough of his situation that they wouldn't have him on the stage doing comedy where he is playing himself.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (02-27-22)
Old 02-27-22, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Originally Posted by Daytripper
But thought all of his SNL" monologues were entertaining at best and not all that funny.
Not for me. Mulaney = guaranteed laughs. Everything lands
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Bandoman (02-28-22), tommyp007 (02-27-22)
Old 02-27-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,759 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I liked the Monkey Judge sketch. The judge was so mild-mannered and dry while displaying animal behavior. Got some laughs out of it, but it shouldn't be a recurring thing.

The Broadway sketch wasn't as strong as the past few, but it had a few good moments, like "Lunch break at B&H Photo," "Fapper on the Train," and the spill that might be pee or Mountain Dew.

The Slime sketch was kind of amusing; seemed like the cast in it didn't know when the slime was coming or where it was going to come from judging by their reactions.
Old 02-27-22, 01:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Who the hell dug up You Can't Do That On Television
I can’t believe no one played Alanis Morissette during that.
Old 02-27-22, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

It was an ok outing. I thought Weekend Update was great without the side bits they always do. Just Jost and Che riffing, and it was funny. Rest of the show was good too. If nothing out loud hilarious, at least nothing cringe-worthy enough to make you ask how it even got out of the writers' room.

LCD Soundsystem was not my cup of tea musically, but it was all real, and y'all know how much I prefer that to the lip-synched performances. Plus I think they should hit a variety of musical styles with SNL, not just whatever's at the top of the charts. So, well played, I guess.
Old 02-28-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Not for me. Mulaney = guaranteed laughs. Everything lands
Me too, I love that guy, one of my favorite current comics. This show was ok, some good sketches and some not so good, as usual. I did like the Monkey Judge sketch, Mulaney was so low key in it and it totally worked for the premise.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Holy shit that was an amazing post-rehab Mulaney monolog!
Not even a huge Mulaney fan, but that standup he did in place of a monologue was excellent. Really funny stuff.
Old 03-01-22, 07:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Not even a huge Mulaney fan, but that standup he did in place of a monologue was excellent. Really funny stuff.
That's part of his current routine called "From Scratch" - I saw him in Philly last October and the show is almost entirely about his recovery from addiction, and it's hilarious. He's still touring, but I imagine we'll see it on Netflix within the next year.
Old 03-02-22, 10:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I liked the Monkey Judge sketch. The judge was so mild-mannered and dry while displaying animal behavior. Got some laughs out of it, but it shouldn't be a recurring thing.

The Broadway sketch wasn't as strong as the past few, but it had a few good moments, like "Lunch break at B&H Photo," "Fapper on the Train," and the spill that might be pee or Mountain Dew.

The Slime sketch was kind of amusing; seemed like the cast in it didn't know when the slime was coming or where it was going to come from judging by their reactions.
I was looking forward to his usual Broadway riff on some random aspect of life in NYC also. The ones in the past were so well done they could be packaged together and actually become a Broadway show!
This episodes seemed like they were trying to just cram everything in and it was too much, unfocused and not up to par. Sorry Mulaney! I agree the guy is a comedy genius. Anyone with Conan's stamp of approval is good by me.

His monologue on his rehab was funny but it almost concerns me that he is able to poke fun at it so soon. I hope he is able to stick with it.

Best sketch for me was the end of the show Cupid Shuffle repeat. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but if you are black or know enough black people to be able to appreciate the references it was fun.

Its also incredibly hard to do those kind of dance moves while delivering lines! And Mulaney dances pretty well for a white Irish guy....
Old 03-02-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
IAnd Mulaney dances pretty well for a white Irish guy....