Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Presumed Innocent (Apple TV+) -- EP David E. Kelley, S: Jake Gyllenhaal -- premieres 6/12/24

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Presumed Innocent (Apple TV+) -- EP David E. Kelley, S: Jake Gyllenhaal -- premieres 6/12/24

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-22, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Breaking News - Apple TV+ Announces Series Order for "Presumed Innocent" from David E. Kelley, Dustin Thomason, and Executive Producer J.J. Abrams | TheFutonCritic.com

Apple TV+ announces series order for "Presumed Innocent" from David E. Kelley, Dustin Thomason, and executive producer J.J. Abrams

Today Apple TV+ revealed that it has landed "Presumed Innocent," a new eight-episode limited series based on the acclaimed book of the same name by Scott Turow that will be reimagined for the screen by master storyteller David E. Kelley ("Big Little Lies, "Nine Perfect Strangers"), who will serve as showrunner and executive producer alongside executive producers Dustin Thomason ("Castle Rock"), J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot's Ben Stephenson.

Inspired by Scott Turow's beloved courtroom thriller, "Presumed Innocent" is the story of a horrific murder that upends the Chicago Prosecuting Attorneys' office when one of its own is suspected of the crime. Multi-Emmy Award winner Kelley reimagines "Presumed Innocent," exploring obsession, sex, politics, and the power and limits of love, as the accused fights to hold his family and marriage together.

"Presumed Innocent" hails from Bad Robot Productions and David E. Kelley Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. J.J. Abrams and Ben Stephenson executive produce for Bad Robot. In addition to writing, Kelley executive produces through David E. Kelley Productions alongside Matthew Tinker. Dustin Thomason also serves as executive producer. Scott Turow and Bad Robot's Rachel Rusch Rich will serve as co-executive producers.
Old 02-04-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Presumed Innocent -- Based on the Scott Turow book and from EP David E. Kelley - Ordered by Apple TV

Other than maybe Ford, it will be difficult to cast this better than the movie.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (02-04-22)
Old 02-04-22, 10:21 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 615 Likes on 352 Posts
Re: Presumed Innocent -- Based on the Scott Turow book and from EP David E. Kelley - Ordered by Apple TV

I'll give it a look. It's a good book, but I agree it already has a really good screen adaptation.
Old 02-04-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,990 Likes on 4,744 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I'll give it a look. It's a good book, but I agree it already has a really good screen adaptation.
As I remember it there's a major sinister revelation in the book regarding motive that for some reason was left out of the movie. For that reason alone it might benefit from a Remake.
Old 02-04-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Other than maybe Ford, it will be difficult to cast this better than the movie.
The movie was so good.

But I would give it a shot as limited series.
Old 02-04-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they cast well, it does open up the future books. I know they made a Burden of Proof miniseries, but even though I like him, Hector Elizondo is no Raul Julia. It's what makes the movie so good. Dennehy nails the first half, and as his part of the story winds down Julia nails it in the second half.
Old 02-04-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

I'd be tempted to check this out at some point.

It has reminded me that I'd love to go rewatch the film. I've seen it multiple times, but it's now been years.
Old 02-04-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Whether or not this draws any interest will depend on who they cast as they lead.

DEK already has a high pedigree with law dramas. Only thing is he usually doesn't stick around past the 1st season in recent years. He left Big Sky after season 1 and left Goliath after season 1.
Old 02-04-22, 04:40 PM

^ And yet he stayed for Big Little Lies S2.
Old 02-04-22, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

DEK already has a high pedigree with law dramas. Only thing is he usually doesn't stick around past the 1st season in recent years. He left Big Sky after season 1 and left Goliath after season 1.
Exactly. Which is why I said "limited series."
Old 12-07-22, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 12-09-22, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 269 Posts

Do you think they'll change the outcome in the new series? I mean, otherwise we're all going to know "who did it."
Old 12-09-22, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Do you think they'll change the outcome in the new series? I mean, otherwise we're all going to know "who did it."
This movie made $350M and we all already knew who did it.

Shannon Nutt (12-09-22)
Old 01-05-23, 01:42 PM

Received 4,980 Likes on 3,367 Posts

Ruth Negga has been cast in “Presumed Innocent,” the upcoming limited series at Apple TV+ from David E. Kelley and J.J. Abrams. She is set to star opposite Jake Gyllenhaal, who is in final talks to lead the series.

Based on Scott Turow’s 1987 novel of the same name, “Presumed Innocent” tells the story of a horrific murder that upends the Chicago Prosecuting Attorneys’ office when one of its own, Rusty Sabich (Gyllenhaal), is suspected of the crime. The series explores obsession, sex, politics and the power and limits of love, as the accused fights to hold his family and marriage together.

Negga will play Rusty’s wife, Barbara Sabich. Barbara is an artist, gallerist and mother whose life is upended when her husband is accused of murdering his mistress. She fights for her family as she tends to her broken heart and broken marriage, and contends with her husband’s highly publicized trial.
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/rut...tv-1235479894/
Old 02-05-24, 11:55 AM

Old 02-05-24, 11:57 AM

re: Presumed Innocent (Apple TV+) -- EP David E. Kelley, S: Jake Gyllenhaal -- premieres 6/12/24

^ No it won't.
But I'll still watch.
Old 05-01-24, 09:33 AM

Re: Presumed Innocent (Apple TV+) -- EP David E. Kelley, S: Jake Gyllenhaal -- premieres 6/12/24

Presume nothing. Jake Gyllenhaal stars in Presumed Innocent, a limited series premiering June 12 on Apple TV+

Presumed Innocent is an eight-part limited series starring and executive produced by Jake Gyllenhaal, hailing from David E. Kelley and executive producer J.J. Abrams. The star-studded ensemble cast also includes Ruth Negga, Bill Camp, O-T Fagbenle, Chase Infiniti, Nana Mensah, Renate Reinsve, Peter Sarsgaard, Kingston Rumi Southwick and Elizabeth Marvel.

Based on The New York Times bestselling novel of the same name by Scott Turow, the gripping series takes viewers on a journey through the horrific murder that upends the Chicago Prosecuting Attorneys' office when chief deputy prosecutor Rusty Sabich (played by Gyllenhaal) is suspected of the crime. The series explores obsession, sex, politics, and the power and limits of love, as the accused fights to hold his family and marriage together.

Presumed Innocent hails from Bad Robot Productions and David E. Kelley Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Bad Robot is under an overall deal. Abrams and Rachel Rush Rich executive produce for Bad Robot. Kelley serves as showrunner and executive produces through David E. Kelley Productions alongside Matthew Tinker. Dustin Thomason, Sharr White and Gyllenhaal also serve as executive producers. Turow and Miki Johnson wil serve as co-executive producers. Anne Sewitsky serves as executive producer and directs the first two episodes and episode eight, and Emmy Award-winner Greg Yaitanes executive produces and directs episodes three through seven.
Old 05-01-24, 09:42 AM

Re: Presumed Innocent (Apple TV+) -- EP David E. Kelley, S: Jake Gyllenhaal -- premieres 6/12/24

This treads a lot of the same ground as The Undoing, which David Kelly adapted into a mini-series in 2022. I know he's known for legal dramas, but my god those two stories are really similar.
Old 05-01-24, 10:18 AM

Did not realize Renate Reinsve was going to be in this. Now I'm very much looking forward to this.
Old 05-01-24, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There still isn't a Sandy Stern listed in the cast on IMDB so either they're holding that back, or this will be an aggressive adaptation.
Old 05-01-24, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,126 Likes on 924 Posts

I dunno. I'm currently watching Ripley and am not sure I need to watch another series based on the same source as a movie I'm already familiar with. The only problem with the movie was that it was too mainstream to have more Greta Scacchi nudity.
Old 05-01-24, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I dunno. I'm currently watching Ripley and am not sure I need to watch another series based on the same source as a movie I'm already familiar with. The only problem with the movie was that it was too mainstream to have more Greta Scacchi nudity.
Like I said. There's a crucial reveal at the end of the book which is left out of the movie, and I have no idea why. Fixing that alone might make it worth revisiting.

And while the source material is the same, Ripley was very different than The Talented Mr. Ripley, especially after episode 2.
Old 05-02-24, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Like I said. There's a crucial reveal at the end of the book which is left out of the movie, and I have no idea why. Fixing that alone might make it worth revisiting.

And while the source material is the same, Ripley was very different than The Talented Mr. Ripley, especially after episode 2.
It's been years since I read it, but I don't remember anything major missing. I also didn't really see anything on the book's wiki. Can you put in spoilers what reveal you are talking about?
Old 05-02-24, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's been years since I read it, but I don't remember anything major missing. I also didn't really see anything on the book's wiki. Can you put in spoilers what reveal you are talking about?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
In the book, it's made pretty clear that Barbara intentionally left Rusty's prints on the glass to intentionally frame him for the murder. In the movie reveal it's made clear that Barbara was the killer, but she had no idea that Rusty would be charged with the crime. A subtle but important difference.

mwbmis (05-02-24)
Old 05-02-24, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,486 Likes on 2,224 Posts

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the Harrison Ford movie so I don’t recall how it plays out. The series will be fresh for me. Looking forward to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.