TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
re: Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Looks fine enough, but I didn't really like the vibe of it being an ensemble cast show (the cut to the future with a team of people working to help out Sam (i guess, ben now)). Maybe it's not a big part of the show, will just have to see.
They did that a lot in the last two season of the original. The stunt casted Dr. Ruth episode even showed what Al saw when conversing with Sam.
Old 09-12-22, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I just watched the final episode of the original show. Damn I remember why I loved it so much around its original run.
Old 09-13-22, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
They did that a lot in the last two season of the original. The stunt casted Dr. Ruth episode even showed what Al saw when conversing with Sam.
Definitely don't remember that (it's been a while lol). My best memories of the show are just Sam and Al (and whoever they brought in for their storyline of the week in the past)

Edit: Ohhhh, i do remember the waiting room stuff (with Al and the person that has been "leapt into"), but didn't recall any sort of team helping out like any other CBS procedural (a la CSI, etc... and I like CSI )
Old 09-13-22, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Definitely don't remember that (it's been a while lol). My best memories of the show are just Sam and Al (and whoever they brought in for their storyline of the week in the past)

Edit: Ohhhh, i do remember the waiting room stuff (with Al and the person that has been "leapt into"), but didn't recall any sort of team helping out like any other CBS procedural (a la CSI, etc... and I like CSI )
The best glimpse of the future (errr...now the past) during the Quantum Leap project was in Killing Time when the person escaped the Waiting Room, got out of project headquarters and into the city where we discover, in the future, prostitutes had edible makeup.
The following 3 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Big Boy Laroux (09-13-22), Boondock Saint (09-13-22), mikehunt (09-18-22)
Old 09-13-22, 12:59 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

My brother was a huge fan of the original series, but I am not sure I even completed 1 episode. It is just is a show I ignored and did not get into. However, I am interested in this new re-boot and plan to give it a shot.
Old 09-13-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I noticed SyFy had a mini marathon of old episodes on yesterday. Seemed best of seasons instead of every episode. Might be worth checking out if any of you want a refresher. I know I saw a lot of episodes back in the early 00s, but I’m not sure I ever saw the entire run.

Apparently Peacock and Roku have episodes too.
Old 09-15-22, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

5 part thread from Bakula. He says he has no involvement at all with this new series.

Old 09-15-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Makes me wonder what caused him to pass on this.
Old 09-15-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

It was probably little more than a cameo or they did something dumb like killed him off or made him a villain. I'm glad he kept his distance. That show has its own magic that can never be reproduced today.
Old 09-15-22, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Well the program became bigger and involved more people. So it sets itself up. No need to reboot when you can continue.
Old 09-15-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

That’s too bad. I guess there’s always a possibility of Sam making an appearance but it seems pretty slim now.
Old 09-16-22, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
So is this going to be connected to the original show somehow?
Supposedly Ernie Hudson's character is someone Sam saved in Vietnam.
Old 09-16-22, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Supposedly Ernie Hudson's character is someone Sam saved in Vietnam.
He's the character that Sam leapt into actually.

https://quantumleap.fandom.com/wiki/...ic%22_Williams
The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
Boondock Saint (09-16-22), Michael Corvin (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
So is God pulling the strings in this one too?

I thought it was kind of weird the first series actually went there.
Not to beat a dead horse but Youtube being Youtube (probably after watching the new trailer) recommended this interview with Donald P. Bellisario from last year, and he's quite clear in who was causing the leaps (10:55 if the time link doesn't embed correctly):

Ziggy/Interviewer: What happened to Sam after the finale, will he live forever Leaping at will, or will he eventually die? If he dies, what happens to his body?
Bellasario: long answer but... "He's making a choice to Leap on." & "Sam made a very conscious decision to keep leaping."

I guess that could still be vague if Al the Bartender was God and gave Sam a one-time choice, but it doesn't sound like it to me. Sounds like Sam was in charge of his own leaps which is what Al the Bartender said.

Also, funny in the interview they ask what happened to Al after the finale and it threw him for a loop because he's never thought about what happened to Al before. Poor Al, everyone always asks about Sam.

That aside, this was posted on May 2021. He's either playing coy or was in the dark about the new series, because of a few of his answers about a future series relating to his ideas and the inclusion of Scott Bakula.
Old 09-17-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Sam is God.

By the way, on this subject, Sam's namesake wrote a very famous play on the subject of God.
Old 09-18-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

as much as I didn't really like the evil leaper stuff, I sort of want them to answer where/when the evil quantum leap project was and how they got the tech.
Old 09-19-22, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Ugh so bad. I turned it right after it came back from the first commercial break. That car green screen was laughable. No charm like the original had such as Sam's narration.
Old 09-19-22, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this was pretty rough. The writing is pretty bad as is the acting. I liked the actor playing Ben but the rest of the cast is pretty grating. I’m all for multi-cultural casts but this one feels like it was picked based on a focus group.

It’s a huge mistake to spend so much time in the present. It really takes away from the main storyline of Ben putting right what once went wrong. The first episode wrapped up that story in a blink of an eye. Those plot lines are what people are going to tune in for, not some generic conspiracy nonsense in the quantum leap lab.

In the original, Al left Sam alone for extended periods of time so Sam had to figure things out on his own. This version, the lady Al was practically attached to Ben’s hip. She was literally with him the entire time. It takes away a lot of the tension that the original had when Sam was all alone.

I love the original series and the premise is ripe for new, fresh stories so I’ll keep watching but it needs to get better, fast.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (09-25-22)
Old 09-20-22, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The scenes in 2022 are not great. Especially considering the future Quantum Leap ‘89 presented and set up.

I also want to know what they did with Ben’s body? They know so much about Quantum Leap from the previous project. So why rely on Ziggy to do all the work? Ask the person occupying Ben’s body as they did in the original.

On that note, it takes three people to do the job Sam
and Al did together? Gucci just oversaw the project and rarely was next to Al. Even that security officer being with her.

If Ziggy was such a powerful AI then Addison should
be able to use it by herself. Like Al did.
Old 09-20-22, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah in the original there was a sense of loneliness and isolation for Sam. Sometimes it was difficulty for Al to make contact and help.

Plus the settings of the 50s and 60s gave great stories dealing with the politics and social issues of the times. Now its in the 80s, big deal.

Boondock Saint (09-25-22)
Old 09-20-22, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Plus the settings of the 50s and 60s gave great stories dealing with the politics and social issues of the times. Now its in the 80s, big deal.
This show ran into the trap of “we don’t know how to make this look or feel like the 1980s so we’ll just play some 80s music so you know what time period it is.”

At least from the upcoming previews it appears
Spoiler:
That Ben begins to leap into time periods outside of his lifetime. I guess that’ll open it up to more than just the boring 80s and 90s.

Old 09-20-22, 12:01 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

When I saw this aired at 10 pm I realized that I would not be able to catch up on my recording until this evening at the earliest. Did anyone watch? I was kind-of looking forward to giving this iteration of Quantum Leap a try.

ETA: So far I am at least 15-20m in and I think I will stick with it for now. I do like the hologram adviser who can help him out and that the folks in the present in the time study project building (or whatever it is called) can also hear him as he communicates with the hologram.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 09-20-22 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-20-22, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

This wasn't as awful as some lead you to believe, but it is not very good, either.

Had this not had any ties to QL or the name, it would just be a generic sci-fi show. I am willing to give it some time, though, since the concept is still so good.
jwb0323 (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
My brother was a huge fan of the original series, but I am not sure I even completed 1 episode. It is just is a show I ignored and did not get into. However, I am interested in this new re-boot and plan to give it a shot.
Same here I never watched one episode or the original. I will give the first episode a try but I don't think it's something that would interest me.
Old 09-20-22, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It was a bit bland, though watchable. I'll cut them some slack for it being a first episode. But there are some major problems. Way too much of the present time period, and the ongoing plotline there looks like it will be an annoying distraction. Doesn't fill me with confidence that they'll be writing interesting enough stories for Ben in the past. Also the new Al has zero personality. At first I thought it was a chemistry problem between her and Ben, but I think it's more that they've given the actress nothing to work with. I'm not going to find it interesting to watch her secretly pining over her amnesiac husband the whole series. I'd like there to be more to their interactions than that.

Oh, and replacing "Oh boy." with "Oh shi--!" Really? There's barely any leaping effect shown, no cool intro narration (maybe we'll get it next episode), no fun Ziggy squeaks, and after all that we can even get a good, old fashioned "Oh boy"?

I'll give it a few more episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.