DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653787-conners-abc-season-4-thread.html)

Josh-da-man 10-01-21 12:39 PM

Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13991530)
I didn’t say I loved the storyline, I said I enjoyed the performances. It’s true that the Conner’s were never religious. Remember when DJ started going to church when he was a kid, and their awkward conversation talking to him?

It seems like I remember an old episode of Roseanne where Darlene came out to her mother as an atheist, or told she didn't believe in god, or something. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Josh-da-man 10-01-21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13991627)
You're right about that; I recently found out that one friend from my 20-something days of booze and punk rock, punk rock and booze, is now heavily into the Baby Jesus.

And every gimmick hungry yob digging gold from rock and roll
Grabs the mic to tell us he'll die before he's sold
But I believe in this and it's been tested by research
He who fucks nuns will later join the church

Reminds me. A few years back, I was poking around facebook and found a group for an long-defunct heavy metal bar/club I used to frequent in my youth. Remembered a lot of the people, clicked their profiles, and every goddamned one of them was a hardcore christian trump supporter. Click on their likes and it's a bunch of Trump, Ben Shapiro, Trump, NRA, Fox News, Jesus, Trump, Steven Crowder, Pat Robertson, Trump, Jesus, Tomi Lahren, Alex Jones, Bible, Newsmax, Trump, Blue Live Matter, Jesus, Military Dick Riding, Breitbart, Jordan Peterson, Motorcycles, Paul Joseph Watson, Trump, Jesus, Trump, Jesus...

Back to Roseanne, it's not unusual for a lot of people to get more religious and more right-wing in general as they get older. And, to be brutally honest, I grew up the sort of rural midwestern environment that the Conners live in, and it would been really unusual for blue-collar, working class people like that to have been that liberal back in the 80s and 90s, or even now. That Roseanne found Jesus and become a Trump supporter is kind of realistic.

Paff 10-01-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13991660)
That Roseanne found Jesus and become a Trump supporter is kind of realistic.

Yes, that's true, although if she did I picture her more as a "C&E" churchgoer (attends service on Christmas and Easter, but every Sunday in between it's "go Bears!"), one who enjoys paintings of Jesus carrying an AR-15, and prayers go like "Dear God, please see it in your heart to kill all the godless liberals".

mickey65 10-01-21 02:06 PM

Altho Roseanne WAS a Trump supporter in real life...

Daytripper 10-01-21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13991706)
Altho Roseanne WAS a Trump supporter in real life...

Was !?

mickey65 10-01-21 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13991763)
Was !?

I'm pretty sure she still is. I was just emphasizing the "was" in a different way...

Coral 10-02-21 08:26 AM

Pretty convenient for Darlene to find Roseanne's note in the bible.
And the note was actually her praying to god. It sounds exactly like something you would pray verbally or internally - which I'd be pretty sure she did do. So why write it down? Is that something people do?

Daytripper 10-02-21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13991979)
Pretty convenient for Darlene to find Roseanne's note in the bible.
And the note was actually her praying to god. It sounds exactly like something you would pray verbally or internally - which I'd be pretty sure she did do. So why write it down? Is that something people do?

And write it in there like it's a diary. Again, stupid. What would have been more realistic is for Jason Alexander's character pulling Darlene aside and saying to her something like "Your mother came to me right before she passed". And that would have also been way more effective.

Daytripper 10-07-21 09:23 AM

Best I can say about this week's episode is.........odd.

mickey65 10-07-21 12:14 PM

I had my local channel taken off the air due to a contract dispute with DISH, so I had to watch the episode on Amazon instead!

Looks like Becky broke another heart and that whole situation was pretty odd. I've known other addicts in recovery who have that type of personality when they go sober.

I really hope Darlene and Ben don't get back together...JMO

Josh-da-man 10-07-21 01:57 PM

With Darlene doing all of this soul-searching and reflecting, I wonder if she's going to come out after figuring out she's gay. Like she's been sabotaging her relationships with David and Ben and pushing people away because she's been in denial for decades.

Daytripper 10-07-21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13994510)
With Darlene doing all of this soul-searching and reflecting, I wonder if she's going to come out after figuring out she's gay. Like she's been sabotaging her relationships with David and Ben and pushing people away because she's been in denial for decades.

That's a really good point. You might be onto something. This show is going in an interesting direction if so. First, Becky is down with the swirl ;) And now Darlene switching teams. I would be happy if she remained celibate as long as they got rid of Ben altogether.

Daytripper 10-07-21 09:53 PM

From showbiz411.com

Meantime, ABC’s destruction of “The Conners” continues. A nice hit on Tuesdays at 8, the “Roseanne” spin off was moved to 9 on Wednesdays last year and started spinning out of control. Last night the show was down 9% from the previous week and hit a series low at 3.1 million. They’ve lost 400,000 viewers in three weeks. If this is a trend, and “The Conners” is going below 3 million, they are in big trouble. If ABC would move them back to 8pm, they might see a surge. But someone at ABC doesn’t like them, that’s clear.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/10/0...nd-loses-a-bet

Paff 10-08-21 12:00 AM

I wish they'd come up with something other than the raw numbers as to why the show is declining. I still say the day switch is correlation not causation. It makes zero sense to me why someone would watch a show on Tuesday, but not watch it on Wednesday.

DWilson 10-08-21 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13994773)
I wish they'd come up with something other than the raw numbers as to why the show is declining. I still say the day switch is correlation not causation. It makes zero sense to me why someone would watch a show on Tuesday, but not watch it on Wednesday.

I can't watch it on Wednesday because I have two other shows on my DVR at that time, and I don't care enough to watch it with commercials.

Daytripper 10-13-21 10:03 PM

Wow, was that a bad episode. Terrible writing. Terrible acting. Could be the worst "Conners" yet.

windom 10-13-21 11:12 PM

Based on the weather map, we now know where Lanford is. It's right around where Northlake or Stone Park are in Illinois. They've said it takes an hour to get from Lanford to Chicago but based on that location, it's only about 20 minutes to downtown. I thought it was always supposed to be a more remote suburb though.

GuessWho 10-14-21 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13997574)
Based on the weather map, we now know where Lanford is. It's right around where Northlake or Stone Park are in Illinois. They've said it takes an hour to get from Lanford to Chicago but based on that location, it's only about 20 minutes to downtown. I thought it was always supposed to be a more remote suburb though.

Nice to see Cheryl Scott get 3 seconds of primetime TV.

Ever since Roseanne, I always kinda pictured Lanford was a little bit past Plainfield or Joliet.

mickey65 10-14-21 08:47 AM

I didn't think it was too bad. I was really happy to see Dan and Louise get married. And I was pretty blown away as to how tall Mark has gotten. Looks like he had a big growth spurt between seasons! -eek-

Coral 10-14-21 10:58 PM

Yeah, I noticed how tall Mark has gotten when he was in the kitchen with Darlene. She's short, but he just towered over her.

Is there a sitcom rule where weddings have to be a disaster (natural or otherwise) where the plans are drastically changed?

bluesix 10-19-21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13997550)
Wow, was that a bad episode. Terrible writing. Terrible acting. Could be the worst "Conners" yet.

I agree, the last couple episodes aren't funny at all. Its like they are just doing soap opera style storylines except the storylines are incredibly dull and boring.

They need to get their mojo back quick. I can't imagine ABC will keep this going for much longer if the ratings don't recover and this has still got to be an expensive show to run with those veteran actor salaries and a large supporting cast

Even Becky is losing me and she's usually the only one I care about on the show. Actually Mark too but he is rarely on the show for more than 5 minutes an episode.

JasonF 10-20-21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13997574)

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 13997646)
Nice to see Cheryl Scott get 3 seconds of primetime TV.

Ever since Roseanne, I always kinda pictured Lanford was a little bit past Plainfield or Joliet.

I always figured it was somewhere out toward Dixon or Galesburg, closer to the Quad Cities and Iowa than Chicago, but decidedly in the middle of nowhere. Parking it inside the Tri-State is completely inconsistent with how it's always been portrayed. Wasn't there a plot point at one point where Ben was going to move to Chicago and he and Darlene would have a long distance relationship? Couldn't all these sad, underemployed people in Lanford hop on the Metra and get a job in the Loop?

mickey65 10-22-21 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13991412)
I agree with you in regards to Roseanne and religion. I have seen every episode of her show and never once was there any mention of religion or of her going to church. I was under the impression she was an Atheist as well. I about cringed when Dan brought out that bible, and also when Darlene went to the church services. I'm an Atheist myself and was relieved with the way Darlene questioned the pastor on a few things and didn't end up "saved" by the end of the show.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty decent show. There was a couple of LOL moments for me...at least.

Just want to correct myself here. I just finished watching Season 10 (Roseanne's last season) and there were two episodes where religion was mentioned, including the very last episode she was in where she prayed in the livingroom the night before her knee surgery.

I totally lucked out and found someone on-line selling DVD sets for Season 10 and the first 3 seasons of The Conners...so I'm having a marathon this weekend! Yes, they are bootleg, but very nicely done!

Daytripper 10-28-21 08:44 PM

Much better show this week. I loved the banter with Darlene and Dan at the beginning of the show. And then with Darlene and Harris in the kitchen. Both felt like early "Roseanne" to me. I also like the scene in the book store. Becky was also cute as Tinkerbell. Bonus for not seeing Ben again this week. Let's hope that relationship is indeed over and he's only mentioned as Dan's boss.

mickey65 10-28-21 09:15 PM

I agree. I hope to see less of Ben and no getting back together. Heck, I'm even wondering if Darlene will end up coming out as a lesbian on the show eventually!

I'm a little skeeved out about the relationship Harris and the guy twice her age are having. That dude is a complete loser...