DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653787-conners-abc-season-4-thread.html)

Daytripper 09-15-21 10:10 PM

The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

Season 4 premieres this week (9/22) with a live episode. Not a fan of those with any show, but looking forward to this returning. I wonder if they'll bring back a studio audience this year. Also, I thought for sure they'd move it back to Tuesday nights given it dropped significantly in the ratings on Wednesday. If it maintains those low number or drops even lower, there is no way they'll bring it back for another season.

mickey65 09-16-21 06:58 AM

Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 4 Thread

I'm looking forward to it. I really like this show. I keep wondering when they are going to release it all on DVD, along with that "last" season of Roseanne before she was killed off the show.

Daytripper 09-16-21 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13985031)
I'm looking forward to it. I really like this show. I keep wondering when they are going to release it all on DVD, along with that "last" season of Roseanne before she was killed off the show.

BTW, that "last" season of "Roseanne" has been streaming on Peacock for a while. Along with Seasons 1-9. I've watched it again twice. Such a shame what happened. It was so good.

Gizmo 09-16-21 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13985047)
BTW, that "last" season of "Roseanne" has been streaming on Peacock for a while. Along with Seasons 1-9. I've watched it again twice. Such a shame what happened. It was so good.

I still think the show got better without her in it....but I was never a huge fan of the original.

Paff 09-16-21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13984953)
Season 4 premieres this week (9/22) with a live episode. Not a fan of those with any show, but looking forward to this returning. I wonder if they'll bring back a studio audience this year. Also, I thought for sure they'd move it back to Tuesday nights given it dropped significantly in the ratings on Wednesday. If it maintains those low number or drops even lower, there is no way they'll bring it back for another season.

Pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but I simply fail to see how Tuesday vs. Wednesday night makes such a drastic difference in ratings. Friday, that I can see, as it's always been considered a ratings graveyard (although with the pandemic and everyone staying home, I think a well-performing show could still thrive on Fridays).

I know not everyone owns a DVR, but a truly popular show will bring its audience with it. Home Improvement and Seinfeld both were moved around and retained their audience, and that was pre-DVR days.

I'm thinking it's the loss of Roseanne (especially since she was canned due to "cancel culture") and the subsequent retooling of the show that makes Sara Gilbert's Darlene essentially the lead character of the show that drove away many of the old school viewers.

Daytripper 09-16-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13985130)
Pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but I simply fail to see how Tuesday vs. Wednesday night makes such a drastic difference in ratings. Friday, that I can see, as it's always been considered a ratings graveyard (although with the pandemic and everyone staying home, I think a well-performing show could still thrive on Fridays).

I know not everyone owns a DVR, but a truly popular show will bring its audience with it. Home Improvement and Seinfeld both were moved around and retained their audience, and that was pre-DVR days.

I'm thinking it's the loss of Roseanne (especially since she was canned due to "cancel culture") and the subsequent retooling of the show that makes Sara Gilbert's Darlene essentially the lead character of the show that drove away many of the old school viewers.

The ratings dropped significantly the minute they changed nights. People speculated at the time it was because of the lineup. I feel had they moved it back to Tuesdays immediately it had a chance to rebound. But I don't think that's possible now. It might do a little better. Again, it would depend on what shows follow or precede it. But moving the show absolutely hurt it.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/t...n-two-ratings/

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/t...three-ratings/

Paff 09-16-21 12:30 PM

The drop-off in ratings is indeed interesting, though I'd have to wonder if it's correlation and not causation. I mean, the numbers don't lie but I can't see why a show would perform on Tuesday but not Wednesday. It's not like there's some sports draw like Monday Night Football or some major ratings juggernaut to contend with like say, Friends back in the day. And especially since it was during the pandemic when television viewership was up in general. Modern Family was a top show in the exact same spot, so it's not like a comedy at 9PM on Wednesday on ABC can't generate ratings. I really do think it must be something else.

Daytripper 09-16-21 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13985181)
The drop-off in ratings is indeed interesting, though I'd have to wonder if it's correlation and not causation. I mean, the numbers don't lie but I can't see why a show would perform on Tuesday but not Wednesday. It's not like there's some sports draw like Monday Night Football or some major ratings juggernaut to contend with like say, Friends back in the day. And especially since it was during the pandemic when television viewership was up in general. Modern Family was a top show in the exact same spot, so it's not like a comedy at 9PM on Wednesday on ABC can't generate ratings. I really do think it must be something else.

A show can drop in the ratings hard even if you move it's time slot on the same night. I'm reaching back here, but "The Golden Girls" was a top 10 show each week at 8:00 PM on NBC Saturday nights. They moved it to 9:00 PM during it's last season, and it dropped to the top 20-30. Bea Arthur was not returning, and everyone knew it was the last season, so no one cared. But I remember at the time people were shocked how the ratings slipped.

mickey65 09-16-21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13985047)

Yeah, I don't stream or have Peacock. If it were on a DISH channel, I could see it that way.

MrX 09-22-21 08:32 PM

Those video chats were an awful idea.

mickey65 09-22-21 09:27 PM

Katie Sagal is such a perfect fit for this show!

Double_Oh_7 09-22-21 10:18 PM

No Lecy?

Paff 09-23-21 12:24 AM

What flubs did y'all get on your performances? For the West Coast feed, biggest one was by DJ's daughter (don't remember the actress' or character's name), I think it was her only line of the show, too.

Daytripper 09-23-21 08:28 AM

Please, no more live shows. They are just way too awkward. And yes, those live video chats were awful.

Coral 09-26-21 05:02 PM

I watched the first episode. I thought they were done with these live show gimmicks. It was an interesting idea 25+ years ago, but it wore off quickly and is just awkward.

What's up with those video chats? Were the people on the other end contest winners or something?

Gizmo 09-26-21 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 13987830)
Katie Sagal is such a perfect fit for this show!

Yeah, it's as if Roseanne was actually her from the get. She fits the shows tone perfectly, and she's really funny. Glad Rebel was canned

DWilson 09-26-21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13989445)
I watched the first episode. I thought they were done with these live show gimmicks. It was an interesting idea 25+ years ago, but it wore off quickly and is just awkward.

What's up with those video chats? Were the people on the other end contest winners or something?

Essentially, yes. Viewers were invited to submit advice to The Connor family, and the winners were included in the episode.

AaronHernandez 09-27-21 02:21 AM

They probably should have done a 15-20 second announcement before the show that those video clips were non actor contest winners so viewers would understand why those clips were just boring,needless and tonally weird.

bluesix 09-27-21 07:47 PM

I agree, those random Conner clips were pointless. Who thought that would be a good idea when they were clearly unscripted and the young actors fielding the calls obviously are still not seasoned enough to mine comedy gold out the boring responses they were given.

Also missed Lecy and the latin guy who fathered her child...but I guess this cast is already big enough?

I was really hoping they would be writing out Ben because his relationship with Darlene is just boring and nauseating. Don't know why they think it would be entertaining to watch those two twist in the wind.

It was more interesting when they seemed to be exploring why Darlene is so fucked up and having her do some self realization like they did with Becky's alcoholic slut phase.

Still enjoy watching every week for Katie, John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf no matter who else revolves in or out of the cast....

Daytripper 09-29-21 08:56 PM

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Was it just me or did it feel like all of the performances were more dialed back this week? That's been my biggest criticism and gripe with the entire reboot (both "Roseanne" and "The Conners"). Everyone has always over projected. But not tonight. The show has never felt more grounded IMO. I also really enjoyed Patton Oswalt and Jason Alexander. This could be my favorite "Conners" to date.

Paff 09-30-21 10:32 AM

Seriously? I thought it was terrible and I'm considering dropping the show. It was just so ham-handed and out of character, the fact that they're trying to make the Conners Christians, and acting like Roseanne was a devout Christian the entire time. In all honesty, I think it's to regain viewers who didn't like Roseanne (the actor) getting "cancelled", and I remember a lot of comments from viewers who were very unhappy that Roseanne (the character) died of a drug overdose, saying it was not in character for her to be a drug user, that was more like Jackie. Yes, they were saying this despite the single-season return of Roseanne (the show) already had her using Oxy.

mickey65 09-30-21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13991100)
Seriously? I thought it was terrible and I'm considering dropping the show. It was just so ham-handed and out of character, the fact that they're trying to make the Conners Christians, and acting like Roseanne was a devout Christian the entire time. In all honesty, I think it's to regain viewers who didn't like Roseanne (the actor) getting "cancelled", and I remember a lot of comments from viewers who were very unhappy that Roseanne (the character) died of a drug overdose, saying it was not in character for her to be a drug user, that was more like Jackie. Yes, they were saying this despite the single-season return of Roseanne (the show) already had her using Oxy.

I agree with you in regards to Roseanne and religion. I have seen every episode of her show and never once was there any mention of religion or of her going to church. I was under the impression she was an Atheist as well. I about cringed when Dan brought out that bible, and also when Darlene went to the church services. I'm an Atheist myself and was relieved with the way Darlene questioned the pastor on a few things and didn't end up "saved" by the end of the show.

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty decent show. There was a couple of LOL moments for me...at least.

Daytripper 10-01-21 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13991100)

I didn't say I loved the storyline, I said I enjoyed the performances. It's true that the Conner’s were never religious. Remember when DJ started going to church when he was a kid, and their awkward conversation talking to him? So yeah, it seems far fetched that Roseanne would have had a bible all those years based on that. But as we all know, this reboot has been lazy at best with continuity. I will say this, I do know people of zero faith who have turned to God and the church when they feel all else has failed.

I would like to add that not only does "The Conners" get a big fat F for continuity from the original series, but one for itself too. It the very first episode of the reboot, the one right after Roseanne died, Jackie took on a project where she reorganized the entire kitchen. Removing everything from the cabinets and drawers. She would have found Roseanne's bible then. It also seems far fetched that no one else in that family found it all these years. That drawer is right next to the stove. Did no one rifle through there while cooking looking for anything? Really dumb writing.

Paff 10-01-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 13991530)
I will say this, I do know people of zero faith who have turned to God and the church when they feel all else has failed.

You're right about that; I recently found out that one friend from my 20-something days of booze and punk rock, punk rock and booze, is now heavily into the Baby Jesus.

Bandoman 10-01-21 11:55 AM

I don't watch the show but saw a few seconds the other night. WTF happened to John Goodman? He looks like he could keel over any minute.