Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV Behind the Music (Paramount +) -- Revived Music documentary series -- Premieres 7/29/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MTV Behind the Music (Paramount +) -- Revived Music documentary series -- Premieres 7/29/21

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

For those feeling wolverine levels of hunger for further Duran Duran backstory, Paramount Plus’ revival of the “Behind the Music” franchise plans to meet that need with an episode’s worth of memories — careless, careful or otherwise — devoted to the band. The platform is announcing today the addition of Duran Duran, New Kids on the Block and Bret Michaels episodes, along with a trailer that reveals glimpses of the first eight, dates for which have now been set.The revived series (once tied to VH1, but now featuring the MTV logo as part of the official branding) kicks off July 29 with a double-dose of episodes featuring Ricky Martin and LL Cool J. From there, “Behind the Music” will debut a new episode every Thursday through Sept. 9, in what it’s calling the first half of the season. This initial late summer rollout will also include the previously announced Huey Lewis, Busta Rhymes and Fat Joe.

Jennifer Lopez also appears in the new trailer, but her episode won’t be aired until the second half of the season, additional names for which are yet to come.

I loved the original VH1 Behind the Music and I'm looking forward to the revival. This promo and announcement was from a month ago. But, it premieres in 5 days, so bringing it to your attention.
Old 07-29-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: MTV Behind the Music (Paramount +) -- Revived Music documentary series -- Premieres 7/29/21

This is up today. Don't know if anyone here has any interest in this.

But, 2 episodes are up. Ricky Martin and LL Cool J. They have been profiled before on the original VH1 series, but these are updated.

Here's the schedule for the 1st half of the season. The 2nd half airs later this year

7/29 - Ricky Martin/LL Cool J

8/5 - Huey Lewis

8/12 - Busta Rhymes

8/19 - Duran Duran

8/26 - New Kids on the Block

9/2 - Bret Michaels

9/9 - Fat Joe
Old 07-29-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: MTV Behind the Music (Paramount +) -- Revived Music documentary series -- Premieres 7/29/21

Alright I'm watching the LL Cool J episode. It's a mix of the original episode from VH1 and some newly shot interview footage of LL. The vast majority and narration is from the original VH1 episode and it's windowboxed. .
Old 07-29-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I would actually post this thread in the Music sub-forum. There will be more interest over there even though it's a tv show. Kind of interested in the Fat Joe episode.
Old 07-29-21, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

So are all these “new” episodes just updated remixes of the original ones? If so, this is completely disappointing. With so many new acts since the last episode of the show aired, they could have chosen someone that they hadn’t covered before
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (07-29-21)
Old 07-29-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood
So are all these “new” episodes just updated remixes of the original ones? If so, this is completely disappointing. With so many new acts since the last episode of the show aired, they could have chosen someone that they hadn’t covered before
The LL Cool J episode appears to be 80-90% re-purposed from VH1. Looks like this original episode aired in 2013 and they put a graphic in the upper left showing the 2013 interviews. They do follow up with some more new material post 2013 in the last 10-15 minutes or so, including the BLM protests,

The narrator is the same from VH1 and he appears to be re-narrating the entire episode including the new segments.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-29-21 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

They could put this on VH1 since they have nothing good on that channel
Old 07-29-21, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The LL Cool J episode appears to be 80-90% re-purposed from VH1. Looks like this original episode aired in 2013 and they put a graphic in the upper left showing the 2013 interviews. They do follow up with some more new material post 2013 in the last 10-15 minutes or so, including the BLM protests,

The narrator is the same from VH1 and he appears to be re-narrating the entire episode including the new segments.
This sucks. I remember that VH1 was doing the exact same thing back in 2010-13 with their remastered episodes which basically were updates to previous ones and then they had them replayed in VH1 Classics and MTV2. I get why they did it then but now Paramount is just being fucking lazy and pulling a bait and switch on what they said they were going to do. Like I said, there are too many bands and artists without a Behind the Music, so they could easily do new episodes. People like Robin Thicke, Lil Dicky, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Harry Styles, Adele, Daddy Yankee, Bad Bunny, etc, could have their own BTM. Really disappointed about the laziness with Paramount
Old 07-29-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

LL was talking on the set of NCIS LA. They probably just sent a camera and producer to there and talked to him for a couple of hours. Then they re-purposed the 2013 episode, added some new B-Roll, hired the old narrator for 1 day of work. I would guess they finished the episode up in a week at most. It does seem pretty lazy. And you're right that there have been so many artists with interesting stories over the last 10 years or so not covered by BTM in the past.
Old 07-30-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not going to pay a montly fee to watch these.

MTV gets a lot of grief but VH1 use to be a cool channel with Storytellers, Rock Show, Behind The Music, Top 20 countdown, and music videos from 3-8 or 9am and now all of them are gone and VH1 is a sister channel of BET with Martin and Fresh Prince reruns and Nick Cannon shows.
Old 04-17-24, 12:25 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The groundbreaking and prolific music documentary series returns with four new episodes featuring Trace Adkins, Wolfgang Van Halen, and Bell Biv DeVoe.

New episodes of Behind the Music streaming May 1, exclusively on Paramount+.
Old 04-24-24, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

There might be some interesting episodes this season, but starting out with Trace Adkins, Wolfgang Van Halen and Bell Biv DeVoe sure seems like a bad decision.
Old 04-24-24, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I could see Trace Adkins for the country fan demo as he had like half a dozen hit albums in the 90s and 00s and songs that topped the country chart.but like can't imagine anyone gives a F about a band that had 1 hit song 34 years ago and the son of Eddie Van Halen.
Old 04-24-24, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I could see Trace Adkins for the country fan demo as he had like half a dozen hit albums in the 90s and 00s and songs that topped the country chart.but like can't imagine anyone gives a F about a band that had 1 hit song 34 years ago and the son of Eddie Van Halen.
Bell Biv Devoe had a 4 time platinum debut album and at least 3 singles from it. I have that album. And not only that, they were members Of New Edition. They are far from some no name one hit wonder. Michael Bivins also discovered Boyz II Men. I mean yeah like most 90s acts, they fell off. So I’m sure they have an interesting story.
Old 04-24-24, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Not really interested in any of those, but who is the topic of the remaining fourth episode?
Old 04-24-24, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
...and the son of Eddie Van Halen.
I would love to see this episode as I'm a big fan of Wolfgang Van Halen (but don't have Paramount+). His two albums are awesome--where he plays every instrument and does every vocal--and I'm really looking forward to seeing him open for Metallica this summer.
Old 04-25-24, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will watch the Ice T and WVH episodes.