DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chris Harrison exits Bachelor Nation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653145-chris-harrison-exits-bachelor-nation.html)

Bluelitespecial 06-08-21 10:37 AM

Chris Harrison exits Bachelor Nation

Chris Harrison defends a contestant from the last season of The Bachelor asking to show compassion and understanding and he's now officially out as the host of all the Bachelor shows. I honestly hope this is the end for all the shows and its not right as a franchise of reality tv dating shows bent over backwards to please the woke mob and I hope they pay the price for this.
https://www.etonline.com/chris-harri...ihdSV_e5EOfGZg

Decker 06-08-21 10:44 AM

Re: Chris Harrison exits Bachelor Nation

I'm surprised he's leaving. It was a dumb thing he said, but I didn't think it would rise beyond the level of a heartfelt apology. I haven't watched the show in over 15 years but I know he was the constant and while I don't think it spells the end for The Bachelor, it is a huge loss for the series.

Bluelitespecial 06-08-21 10:58 AM

I'm done since they turned an apolitical show political and bent over backwards to please a racist lunatic like Rachael Lindsay. I hope ratings nose dive.

fujishig 06-08-21 11:00 AM

I wouldn't mind reality dating tv shows ending, but it has nothing to do with the "woke mob" as you put it (and which is the primary reason he got in trouble, for saying "woke police"). I'm sure it was a great gig but a mid 8 figure buy out makes it hard for me to feel too bad for him. :)

clckworang 06-08-21 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13943172)
I'm done since they turned an apolitical show political and bent over backwards to please a racist lunatic like Rachael Lindsay. I hope ratings nose dive.

You actually watched these shows?

I'm not going to defend or condemn the decision to release him, but one could also say that the way Harrison handled things made it more political than it could or should have been. A good host should be able to diffuse a controversial situation, not make it worse. He failed at that, but as already stated, it's hard to feel too bad for him considering how much money he's walking with.

nick p 06-08-21 01:55 PM

I think they will have former leads host the show going forward

Bluelitespecial 06-08-21 02:05 PM

Well Tayisha and Kaitlyn Bristow are hosting the Bachelorette right now and they're supposed be rotating hosts for Bachelor in Paradise. I'd say if any former cast member would become the permanent host of The Bachelor it would probably be Ben Higgins.

Rob V 06-08-21 02:55 PM

I'm not going to talk about Chris Harrison -- I have my opinions and I'll keep them to myself. That said, this whole 'Bachelor Nation' bullshit is what really irritates me. These people get a chance to go on a dating show, they are mostly assholes, they screw up time and time again on social media and use same social media to make more than most of us as 'influencers'. Then when the host says something controversial, they attack and use the same goddam platform to skewer him for the things they've done time and time again. I wonder how many people affiliated with that show, to any degree, are free from any eyebrow raising moments in their life? Bonding under the #Bachelornation shouldn't grant them any more rights to cast stones.

Gizmo 06-08-21 02:59 PM

Has he been replaced with a LBGT POC yet?

spainlinx0 06-08-21 03:12 PM

Would you cry if they did?

Bluelitespecial 06-08-21 03:17 PM

I only put Bachelor Nation in the thread title because it’s in reference to all the Bachelor Franchise shows. I find it annoying too.

Gizmo 06-08-21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13943281)
Would you cry if they did?

No, I don’t watch this shit but it’s the new normal.

Noonan 06-08-21 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13943291)
No, I don’t watch this shit but it’s the new normal.

Name one

Rob V 06-08-21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13943297)
Name one

name one what? Instance where people whined over social media and got someone fired?

Bluelitespecial 06-08-21 04:57 PM

I'll laugh if they make Colton Underwood the first gay Bachelor and then cast the show with every stereotype out there among the gay community.

Decker 06-08-21 04:59 PM

Let's be clear about this : Chris Harrison wasn't fired because he's a straight white male. It had nothing to do with that or with wanting more diversity.

Anyone who seriously cares about whoever the host of The Bachelor is really needs to turn in their Man Card.

Kurt D 06-08-21 05:11 PM

I liked Decker's comment, even though there ain't nothing wrong with a man watching these shows.

Josh-da-man 06-08-21 05:20 PM

"Is it [not] a good look in 2018? Or is it not a good look in 2021?" he replied. "Because there’s a big difference."

What happened between 2018 and 2021 that made it unacceptable?

I mean, that's three years ago, not thirty, forty, fifty, or sixty years ago.

That's a weird defense.

Kurt D 06-08-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13943330)
"Is it [not] a good look in 2018? Or is it not a good look in 2021?" he replied. "Because there’s a big difference."

What happened between 2018 and 2021 that made it unacceptable?

I mean, that's three years ago, not thirty, forty, fifty, or sixty years ago.

That's a weird defense.

It's not even a defense, it was straight up white privilege in the extreme. I found the statement pretty shocking, and the fact that in his apologies he doesn't acknowledge where that statement came from means he still doesn't really get it.
/rant

Gizmo 06-08-21 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13943297)
Name one

The Neighborhood just lost its White Male creator and show runner for…a POC Female show runner. Just this week.

Gizmo 06-08-21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13943320)
name one what? Instance where people whined over social media and got someone fired?

Every day people lose their jobs because of social media justice. Mostly Men, of course.

Nick Danger 06-08-21 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13943351)
The Neighborhood just lost its White Male creator and show runner for…a POC Female show runner. Just this week.

I don't notice if some show biz person is replaced by some other show biz person. It's how they run the business. People have zero job security.

clckworang 06-08-21 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D (Post 13943337)
It's not even a defense, it was straight up white privilege in the extreme. I found the statement pretty shocking, and the fact that in his apologies he doesn't acknowledge where that statement came from means he still doesn't really get it.
/rant

Yep. And the fact he still doesn't get it makes him more of a liability as a host as well. Don't they do live shows, too? I can understand why a network wouldn't want him as a host.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-08-21 07:00 PM

He should not have been fired but does he really offer anything to the show people will miss?

I thought of him as this Ken doll with no personality.

Gizmo 06-08-21 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13943367)
I don't notice if some show biz person is replaced by some other show biz person. It's how they run the business. People have zero job security.

I'm sure you notice all the time but don't know it - i.e. "this season sucks!" which could be because of a show runner switch, creator left etc.
Best example is Community when Harmon was canned and Season 4 was different people.