DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chris Harrison exits Bachelor Nation (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/653145-chris-harrison-exits-bachelor-nation.html)

DWilson 06-08-21 11:58 PM

Re: Chris Harrison exits Bachelor Nation

According to Deadline:

The confidential settlement with franchise producers and distributor
Warner Horizon was finally reached after one more flurry of back and forth between the parties and Bachelor broadcaster ABC on Monday night. A motivational undercurrent, so to speak, throughout was Harrison lawyer Bryan Freedman pledging to unleash the Shiva of lawsuits exposing a swath of The Bachelor’s alleged dirty laundry unless his client emerged feeling the financial love.

Rob V 06-09-21 06:16 AM

^^ Sounds like an all-around great group of people. Not surprising... between the re-take scenes to capture the right 'moments' and the fact that you're literally plucking horny 20 - 30 somethings off the streets to find 'love'. It's pretty morally corrupt I'm sure. That said, it always made for an easy, turn-your-brain-off hate-watch for the wife and I.

Bluelitespecial 06-09-21 09:55 AM

Creator and producer Mike Fleiss got in trouble a few years back for allegedly attacking his now ex-wife because she refused to get an abortion. I wanted Chris and his lawyer to unveil all the "dirty laundry".

Josh-da-man 06-09-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13943471)
^^ Sounds like an all-around great group of people. Not surprising... between the re-take scenes to capture the right 'moments' and the fact that you're literally plucking horny 20 - 30 somethings off the streets to find 'love'. It's pretty morally corrupt I'm sure.

Too bad Jamie Gillis is dead. He could be the new host.

Hell, I'd probably start watching it...

lwhy? 06-09-21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13943272)
Has he been replaced with a LBGT POC yet?

He technically has been. Tituss Burgess is hosting a week of Bachelor in Paradise.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-09-21 09:00 PM

I don't know if it is possible but Mario Lopez seems like a good choice for a new host.

He has the looks and charisma to probably host that show.

Nick Danger 06-09-21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13943599)
Too bad Jamie Gillis is dead. He could be the new host.

Hell, I'd probably start watching it...

Jamie Gillis would be ideal. He had a lot of experience in taking pretty 19- to 23-year old women with no acting experience and making them popular for one season.

Gizmo 06-10-21 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13943853)
I don't know if it is possible but Mario Lopez seems like a good choice for a new host.

He has the looks and charisma to probably host that show.

Mario Lopez does not fit the Woke bill. NEXT

fujishig 06-10-21 09:56 AM

Let's be honest, if this show were really subject to the "woke police" or whatever it would have been cancelled long ago, just from the basic concept of it, forget the host...

JeffTheAlpaca 06-10-21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13943953)
Mario Lopez does not fit the Woke bill. NEXT

But he is Latino and that would fit the diversity bill plus he has the talent for hosting this type of show and he has the looks of a bachelor contestant.

It is a no brainer to me.

windom 06-10-21 10:55 PM

Mario is in the NBC camp now though (Access Hollywood, the new Saved By The Bell), so they may not allow him to do a show on ABC. Also, he does a lot of Hallmark movies so he's pretty busy as it is.

Gizmo 06-11-21 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13944248)
Mario is in the NBC camp now though (Access Hollywood, the new Saved By The Bell), so they may not allow him to do a show on ABC. Also, he does a lot of Hallmark movies so he's pretty busy as it is.

They replaced the White Male host on Dancing with the Stars with Black Female (Tyra Banks), so I assume Bachelor will do something similar. They want to say they are “diverse” and “woke”.

fujishig 06-11-21 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13944415)
They replaced the White Male host on Dancing with the Stars with Black Female (Tyra Banks), so I assume Bachelor will do something similar. They want to say they are “diverse” and “woke”.

I have no idea why they changed hosts on DWTS, but can a minority ever be hired where it doesn't seem like "they" want to be "woke?"

clckworang 06-11-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13944422)
I have no idea why they changed hosts on DWTS, but can a minority ever be hired where it doesn't seem like "they" want to be "woke?"

Realistically, the short answer is probably no.

Gizmo 06-11-21 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13944422)

No, not today when they typically make sure to mention the hire is to be more "diverse" and other crap like they to add in to be very woke.

Just look at ABC who passed on promising pilots because they were not "inclusive" enough for them.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...nough-4165849/
"50 percent or more of regular and recurring characters to come from underrepresented groups and the same percentage for the actors who play those parts."

So pretty much, either change characters to not be white or shoehorn them in. Reverse-racism at its best.

Bluelitespecial 06-11-21 09:26 PM

Nope it’s just racism. One of my favorite shows Abc ever made was The Middle and it wouldn’t get made today for being a comedy about a white lower middle class suburban family.

RichC2 06-11-21 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13944565)
Nope it’s just racism. One of my favorite shows Abc ever made was The Middle and it wouldn’t get made today for being a comedy about a white lower middle class suburban family.

The Connors and The Goldbergs are still on the air. Black-ish is ending, Mixed-ish was canceled. Young Sheldon just got renewed for 3 seasons.

Broadcast sitcoms are a dying breed though and I can't blame them for trying anything and everything (and let's face it when it all comes down to it, this is 100% about making money). Ratings are pathetic across the board (Seemingly everybody has moved on to cable and streaming, or y'know, YouTube and TikTok). If ABC knows what the main demographics are that still tune in, they'd be dumb to not focus on them or at the very least expand the appeal of their shows to cover a broader demographic. If it doesn't work they'll pivot again in another season or two until they find something that does.

Also worth noting, Warner Brothers made The Middle, and if ABC didn't pick it up they would have just shopped it elsewhere.

clckworang 06-11-21 10:15 PM

:violin:

AaronHernandez 06-12-21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13944566)
The Connors and The Goldbergs are still on the air. Black-ish is ending, Mixed-ish was canceled. Young Sheldon just got renewed for 3 seasons.

Broadcast sitcoms are a dying breed though and I can't blame them for trying anything and everything (and let's face it when it all comes down to it, this is 100% about making money). Ratings are pathetic across the board (Seemingly everybody has moved on to cable and streaming, or y'know, YouTube and TikTok). If ABC knows what the main demographics are that still tune in, they'd be dumb to not focus on them or at the very least expand the appeal of their shows to cover a broader demographic. If it doesn't work they'll pivot again in another season or two until they find something that does.

Also worth noting, Warner Brothers made The Middle, and if ABC didn't pick it up they would have just shopped it elsewhere.

We are really close to the ere where the networks are gonna go the CW route where low ratings are just gonna be taken as a given and only make shows based on preestablished franchises that are safe bets to get easy distribution all over the world so they make their money entirely off overseas rights and streaming. 4- 5 years from now the only scripted network tv content will be bland procedurals or superhero type shows

Gizmo 06-12-21 01:23 PM

ABC also canceled the very white American Housewife, while renewing lower rates Blackish for another cycle. Sadly they canceled the much better Mixedish as well.

windom 06-13-21 10:40 AM

Since ABC is owned by Disney, they should just have The Muppets host the show. Who wouldn't watch it then?

JeffTheAlpaca 06-13-21 06:55 PM

They could go in house and hire Michael Strahan and all the problems will be solved.